Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs OK guys lets try to find the Exodus Cushenbery built 59 Chevy last known to be in Fresno Calif

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think the confusion is from the Custom clinic website that Mark Gustavson use to have and the Custom clinic bodyshop in Calif that this car was supposedly at, 2 different unrelated Custom clinics. I don't know if the name of the owner of the body shop was known

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Did you check with the Tulare swap meet guy?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. I also found this: http://kustomkingdom.blogspot.com/2013/10/exodus-1959-chevrolet-custom-bill.html

Below is the post from that link translated (I added the bold to the last line, really the important line):

"The 1959 Chevrolet named Exodus is a true work of art, the work on the front and rear faces is very daring and radical as often on Cushenbery's creations (just think of El Matador seen previously).

As can be seen, the rear face is divided into two large engine nozzles in which are placed radiator grilles associated with chrome shells (close to the grilles of Cadillacs of the early fifties) the almond-shaped lights of the Chevrolet are replaced by two jet engine pipes in which 4 rear lights are tunnelled. The gull wings are kept and even lined and overhung by a small fin containing the turn signals at their ends.

What is at the same time very coherent and yet extremely daring on the part of Cushenberry is to have used for the front face an almost identical structure except that the lights are replaced by the headlights. Here it went even further against the design of the original Chevrolet which is made of taut lines placed horizontally on top of each other, including a grille in which the headlights are part of. Indeed Cuchenbury breaks the horizontality by dividing the front face by the two "mouths" containing the radiator grilles joining in the middle of the front face by a molding.

The profile of the Exodus has an impressive purity of line compared to the rather baroque styles of the front and rear faces, no doubt because the bodywork has been completely stripped of all chrome disturbing the sight of the new complex lines of the bodywork. . At the level of detail, which is still quite subtle, it sets up clever little horizontal fins on each side of the roof, reminiscent of the lines of the gull wings on the rear face.

A little excessive no doubt but quite amusing the presence of 6 chrome exhaust outlets

On the front we can also notice that he has completely reworked the hood which has a new shape at the level of its opening like a molded edge in the center which continues very harmoniously to the bottom of the roll pan.

The interior is surprisingly classic in white vinyl rolls and pleats.

the Custom clinic website has found the Exodus which is awaiting a Very Happy restoration"

That was posted in 2013 by Mark Gustavson (the model guy). I don't think he had any connection to the actual restoration but apparently at that time knew where it was and that it was being (or going to be) restored.

chryslerfan55, drdave and Squablow like this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yes, he told me to ask Royalshifter here, but neither of those guys knew

chryslerfan55 and hrm2k like this.
  5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I better call him, I think I have his phone number here somewhere... I found it and left him a voicemail....

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I just spoke to Mr Gustavson, he told me that he has contact info for the guy that owned it 10 years ago and is going to call me with it as soon as he finds it

7. The plot thickens. :cool: Looking forward to what you find out.

8. One step closer!

9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I don't know Mark; you just got that 56-rag top. If you keep this up there is either going to an intervention or a garage expansion in your future! lol Larry

54delray, chryslerfan55 and Sancho like this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I know, I started this thread before I got the 56. If the Exodus becomes available I may talk one of my friends into getting it. we will see....

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I heard back from Mark Gustavson, he could not find the contact info he thought he had....

54delray, Sancho, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  12. Monday, 4:10pm the search for the long lost custom known as The Exodus continues. We have one lead, someone connected to the individual who had the car 10 years ago has offered to help, we’ll see what happens.

VANDENPLAS, pprather and stanlow69 like this.
  13. Fingers crossed. Bummer things didn't work out with Mark, hopefully the other lead will bring in more info.

Sancho likes this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Did I miss something? I was not aware of another lead....

Sancho likes this.
  15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

They're on a mission now Mark, and they won't rest till they find it! lol Better start looking for a larger location for the Moriartiy All Things Custom Museum! Larry

Sancho and Jim Bouchard like this.
  16. egads

egads

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That is the lead that I had with Mr Gustavson which fell thru as far as I know... unless @chryslerfan55 knows something I don't know

dana barlow, 54delray, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  18. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Since a house expansion is out, and the kitchen is full of spark plug wires, have you considered adding a Carvana style “vending machine” carousel elevator to your back yard? You’re going to need somewhere to store all these cool cars.

bchctybob, AHotRod, Al T and 6 others like this.
  19. Yeah, I was referring to Chryslerfan's post. If he was talking about Mark G., hate that this has come to a dead end, at least for the moment. If it was around 10 years ago, it's still gotta be someplace.

20. maybe make a basement garage with a hidden ramp in the front yard ;)
    [​IMG]
    similar to the idea, but instead of leading to a basement and being obvious, it lowers flush with the ground.... would also include the side effect of people thinking you work for a secret agency.

21. alchemy

alchemy

They probably already think he works for a secret agency. Some of his creations look like alien spacecraft.

Moriarity, Sancho and The_Cat_Of_Ages like this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ok , I heard back from Mark Gustavson again and he said that his sources say that the owner of the car had it crushed because he thought it was too rusted to repair... seems hard to believe

VANDENPLAS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. egads

egads

24. I sure hope that isn't the case.....

Surfcityrocker and Sky Six like this.
  25. You can not be serious! Crushed?! Was that guy nucking futs?! Okay, rant over, I’ll go get the tar and feathers.

26. Sure hope that isn’t the case. I have a friend that is currently trying to crush his rust free 55 Victoria. His reasoning is different, but it also makes no sense. :eek:

27. I can't believe anyone having that car with any sort of idea what it was would decide that's the best answer. Man, I sure hope it's not true!

rodncustomdreams and Sancho like this.
  28. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Well, if you take into account how things were built back in the day, round rod framework and pieces of metal hammered over whatever they could find in the shop and gas welded together and covered in lead and laquear paint. Add 60 years of decay and I would bet most shops he found would have been overwhelmed at the thought of it. I remember articles by Harold Murphy's partner, can't think of his name but he was known as the Striper. Any way when Harold restored the El Matador after the fire, if it had not been for Harolds lifelong fascination of that car I doubt that it would ever have been completed, just like Barry Maraz and the Astec. Lesser men would have scraped both. Nobody built those cars with the idea that they would still be here 60 or 70 years later. I hope it is still out there but being crushed as a lost cause is not out of the realm of possibility. Larry

chryslerfan55 and K13 like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

Wow. I’d been following along, bummer (if true) to hear the outcome.