Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rust along the EDGES of the hood........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6sally6, Nov 13, 2022.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

Brainstorming how best to "fix" this. Once the paint and rust is cleaned up I need to restore the edge.
    Bondo won't hold up (I don't think) around the edges of a hood that sees a lot of open/close/SLAMMING!
    Can't afford to just 'replace' the entire hood....
    Can't just grind it smooth because... being an edge it would look sorta wavy.
    Thought about using sticks of steel brake line and cut a slot along the entire length. Slip that along the edge and try to flatten/form it along the edge.
    Maybe do this in addition to kitty hair bondo to restore the edge.......
    Any better ideas??!
    Thanx
    6sally6

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am pretty sure that we're gonna need a picture, or two.

Budget36 likes this.
  3. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Rust on the edge of the hood is generally from inside, means to really “ fix it” means separating inner and outer structures or cutting away outer to get at rust in the inner, anything else is buying time and foolishness as it will come back in no time. Just my 2 cents

rockable likes this.
  4. What kind of hood are we talking about?

5. From what you're describing, the best 'fix' is another hood. Why waste the time repairing when you'll be getting a different hood in the end anyway...

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

We really do need a picture.
    I’d be considering doing the work from the inside of the hood corner.
    I’d get some welding wire with the diameter chosen to meet the amount of rust damage and tig weld it in place from the inside using the pulse feature.
    This will give plenty of backing material to touch up and metal finish the front side of the corner that’s visible.

7. Budget36

Budget36

Yes, is it rot or surface rust?

@6sally6 can it be sand blasted, hand sanded, etc?

8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Similar to a system called: Schluter Systems Design base Brushed Stainless Steel Tile edging comes in all sizes and colors. The thickness of the flat tile dictates the depth of the edging cover for the sharp corner. It gives the tile a smooth look, yet it is not just grout.

Our granddaughter’s house had a sharp tile edging that needed a finishing trim. They used this small metal trim that matched the color of the tile and is about 1/4 inch tall to finish the sides and give a small lip over the tile’s sharp edge.

I am sure with your skills, this can be adapted to covering any ragged edge to make it look like a stainless steel somewhat rounded edge trim.

Jnaki

It is just a choice, but looked as good if not better than a similar tile 1/4round edge. We are thinking about getting a new wall backsplash work done and we will be using this style small edging over using a glass or matching rounded edge ceramic tile. The finished look is pretty good and gives a small detail to an unfinished edge. (Of a series of tiles or trim accessories for metal edging jobs.) YRMV
    upload_2022-11-14_5-3-49.png upload_2022-11-14_5-4-7.png

9. 6sally6

6sally6

Guess I'm 'busted' !
    Can't show any pictures because it would get deleted.......if you get my drift.
    The paint pops off and the grey factory primer is showing. It happened a lot before GM came up with a fix.
    Sooo it's NOT rot it is only surface rust. Just a little more 'severe' around spots on the hood edge.
    Replacement would mean another hood with the same problem.
    Guess I'll just bite-the-bullet and get'er blasted and go from there.
    Thanx
    6sally6