Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Poly begets a Hemi begets a Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wstory, May 21, 2020.

1. Another hammer form and a BFH? :D

2. jimpopper

jimpopper

I ended up using a firewall recess off a Jeep Wrangler offset to the Passenger side as that head sits farther back. I figure the real estate not taken will make a tidy place for the coil and voltage regulator as well as the fuel distribution block for the carbs. A truck 2.JPG

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bill, get on Facebook and look up Jesse Harris. Jesse just posted some videos of him making a scoop and the techniques he used could work for you.

4. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Couldn't figger how to draw this in its' proper orientation but, this is what I'm going to attempt to pull off. Have no idea how, yet. "Rockable", only Jesse Harris I could come up with was a musician.
    IMG_4937.JPG

HemiDeuce and Dean Lowe like this.
  5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  7. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Decided to do a practice metal forming exercise before attempting the distributor pocket. Hammered out a portion of the rib to patch into the passenger side where the firewall was "hacked". Took several hours to make a form and beat a recess into the 16ga. IMG_4941.JPG IMG_4944.JPG IMG_4947.JPG IMG_4952.JPG
    IMG_4950.JPG
    Worked pretty well and was pattin myself on the back, for a good job when I realized I pounded the recess into the wrong side of the patch panel SHIT!!!!:mad: In my case if there's a 50/50 chance for a mistake, I'm battin 1000%! At least I can use the form again :D
    IMG_4951.JPG

8. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Only liked the post cause I do that all the time, nice not to be the only one :)

9. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one to do something like this.

rockable and osage orange like this.
  10. It's just a practice practice piece. Lol Nice work anyway.

rockable and osage orange like this.
  11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL! I've done it myself. I always make the 2nd one better anyway. :p

12. Who among us can say they've never done that one. Your in good company Bill. :oops:

Atwater Mike, Tim, rockable and 2 others like this.
  13. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Thanks for all the comments boys. Acknowledged,....not the first one to screw up and, the second one goes much better. In this case, heat and a BFH yielded a nicer piece in half the time and it was "right side up" to boot!
    IMG_4959.JPG IMG_4962.JPG
    Also a tip from and experienced friend, I only used 2 of the 3 locater pins to align the forming fixture so that the material on the one side of the panel could move into the trough that I was forming.

63fdsnr, Happydaze, Jeff34 and 9 others like this.
  14. jimpopper

jimpopper

Looking good but I only use a good bench vise as a adjustable "dolly" when hammering out short ribs like this. A little more hammering and straightening but for two short ribs, I don't get too elaborate. You are doing a nice job on your build!

15. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Went to the Long Beach Swap yesterday to see what I might discover that I couldn't live without. The idea struck that this bumper guard might be just the shape for hammering some shape into the distributor pocket I'm working on,....only 10 bucks! Shortly thereafter discovered a box full of Oak bedpost balls,...$1.00 each. Then I recalled I had several trailer hitch balls under my bench. Turns out the "balls" worked great and the bumper guard was $10.00 wasted.
    IMG_4986.JPG
    I've benefited from the encouragement of a very talented retired bodyman who has achieved spectacular results with a minimum inventory of costly tools. I also decided that as long as I was stepping into unknown territory, why not make the shape of the pocket a little more interesting than that shown in the drawing previously posted. IMG_4969.JPG IMG_4970.JPG IMG_4975.JPG IMG_4980.JPG IMG_4982.JPG

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  16. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There you go, Bill! Everything is a tool! You just have to find the right application.

winduptoy likes this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ha that’s clever

winduptoy likes this.
  18. Which proves, there are many ways to skin a cat.

warhorseracing and jimpopper like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Wait he’s going to skin a cat with that?!?

guess it’s more humane than the bumper guard or the wood bed posts lol

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Post #433, I like the 'stooge' ground out of the bar.
    Lesson in 'hammer into or hammer over'... I do both, but the lesson in the metal over wood was sound.

(Thought I invented that when 17 or 18... I also have trailer balls. LOL)

21. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

When working on old cars, it's important to have "balls"!

22. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Well shit!!!! I was all primed to post pics of my success of installing the distributor pocket into the firewall I've been bangin on for a few days. I keep lookin and measurin the features that need to accommodate stuff like the bell housing and distributor. But, before I chopped a hole in my precious firewall I mocked up the flange for the pocket just for a visual. Plenty of width and depth but SHIT!!!!:oops::oops::oops::oops: not enough height for wires to loop even with 90 degree boots. T'would be a total bummer to discover that at a later date.
    Soooo,....tomorrow's activity will be modifying the distributor pocket.
    In the meantime I'm gonna have a beer(s) :rolleyes: and watch football. IMG_4992.JPG IMG_4994.JPG
    -
    IMG_5002.JPG

23. Are you able to add a piece at the bottom, rather than starting over?

24. 73RR

73RR

:cool: Better now than later

rockable likes this.
  25. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Going forward from the disappointment of needing to chop into the piece so tediously created, I "sucked it up" and got to work to make it right. No excuse for a less than good job just because of the labor invested.
    IMG_5004.JPG
    Think this wasn't painful :eek:
    IMG_5013.JPG
    This is the image I was hoping to post a coupla days ago.
    A challenge that needs to be addressed now is seating of the flange against the firewall along the 45 degree rib (on the right in this view). Looking close, half way down the new flange, you can see a chink in the rib. That suggests a point of impact, maybe from pulling an engine at an earlier time. The firewall is depressed in that area a good 1/4 inch, preventing the pocket flange from laying on the same plane as the rest of the firewall. Henry's 15ga steel takes some force to modify so I'm anticipating the need for another set of hands and a BFH to bring the surface into compliance.
    IMG_5015.JPG

winduptoy, 63fdsnr, brEad and 12 others like this.
  26. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Couldn't come up with more hands or a big enough hammer so I resorted to the basic machines of levers and screws,....and heat to pull the rib out to an acceptable plane. IMG_5019.JPG

IMG_5017.JPG

Atwater Mike, brEad, 63fdsnr and 10 others like this.
  27. You don't have to do crosswords or sudoku to keep your brain active when you have an old car Bill. :D Good job!

28. I was missing the last few updates. Looks really good Bill. In my opinion I like the second version of the distributor pocket design wise better though you did a nice job on both.

29. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

I was imagining I could bring this firewall into a restored bare metal thing of beauty where painting it would only cover the exquisite massaging I had achieved.o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O Ha!, silly me! At this point the firewall looked more like my face after a visit to the dermatologist.
    IMG_5020.JPG IMG_5040.JPG
    So,....paint covered the ugly shit. I purposely left some of the original scars and spot weld dimples as I prefer to see some of the experience that this old girl has endured prior to my ownership.

IMG_5050.JPG IMG_5053.JPG

30. impala4speed

impala4speed

I think the firewall looks great Bill!

winduptoy and Atwater Mike like this.