Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quotes to live by...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Apr 2, 2018.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nate was in the San Diego Roadster Club and a fun guy. RIP.

2. BJR

BJR

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!:D

Shalamo, Elcohaulic, vtx1800 and 3 others like this.
  3. X-cpe

X-cpe

Words lie, deeds don't.

4. jnaki

jnaki

“Mingle with the good people we meet, yeah
    Good friends we have, oh, good friends we've lost
    Along the way, yeah
    In this great future, you can't forget your past…” Bob Marley

Hello,

In a recent conversation with one of the few remaining friends from the way back time machine of high school and college days, it was noted that a lot of our group growing up is gone. So, our list keeps getting smaller of the friends we used to grow up with into the turbulent teenage days to somewhat maturity levels.

A reunion of high school friends was not the same as the 20-30 year after high school era. Now, we are all comfortable with our lives and seek new adventures for the enjoyment of what we had learned all of these days… plus, we are now older, wiser, and retired for the last 25+ years. Ha!

One story was about how I got knocked out in varsity football game. I was on defense and my job was to stop the opposing running back, to keep the first down out of reach. Our linebacking crew from a 4-3 defense moved up into the gap and blasted our way into the backfield. There I met the running back’s knee in the head, as I grabbed him for a loss and preserved the tying score. But, I was out for 5-10 minutes on the sidelines.

Jnaki
    upload_2022-11-11_3-47-36.png
    The result was that someone had to drive my 1940 Ford Flathead sedan delivery home with me not being able to drive from the hospital that Friday night. So, a friend stepped up and had the use of a nice sedan delivery for the whole weekend until he could come and pick me up on a Monday morning. Thanks, Mike…

Wycliff Jean-Daryl Hall Version

Shalamo, Baumi, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I hear you on losing classmates, almost 1/2 of my class is gone! Just lost an older class mate this week! He built a cherry 50 Ford back when we were in school in the sixties! Rode motorcycles with him later. Also went to listen to his band, in recent years.
    In my younger years, I went to many weddings, now I go to many funerals!
    Just signs of getting older, I guess! But still sucks!

Bones

chryslerfan55, Irish Mike and jnaki like this.
  6. “I've never been lost, but I was mighty turned around for three days once.”
    ― Daniel Boone

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

A long time ago an old friend of mine, long gone now, told me: "Make younger friends as you go along, or it will get awfully lonely later!!" He was also correct in the companion piece: "If you don't, you'll be going to funerals where the only person you know will be the person in the box!" Sadly, as I get older, I learn how right he was...

8. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

"To Argue with a Fool, proves there are Two"

9. tim troutman

tim troutman

"you must just like being cold and wet" Nathen Sable Quote about me driving my roadster

10. Another one of my favorites is this. “ Who’s the more foolish?, the fool or fool who follows him?”

11. "The cowards never start and the weak die along the way."
    -- Kit Carson

"I wish I had time for just one more bowl of chili."
    -- Kit Carson's dying words..... True story.

Boneyard51 and jimmy six like this.
  12. verde742

verde742

If you don't go to yer friends funerals, they won't come to yours...

Shalamo, vtx1800, alanp561 and 3 others like this.
  13. andyh1956

andyh1956

This is a great thread. Lots yall had great parents!:D I've read 10 so far but I have to go for now. But I'll leave with these:
    My grand daddy- The World Would Be A Great Place To Live, If It didn't Have People On It"
    A Bumper Sticker I Saw- My Goal In Life Is To Be Half The Man My Dog Thinks I Am"
    When Tackling a particularly tedious job & someone wants to know what I'm doing I tell them I'm "Putting Pantyhose On An Octopus"
    "Guns Don't Kill People, Husbands That Come Home Early Kill People"
    "Yeah, I'll Take That Drunk Chick Home, But She Better Not Come Up Pregnant Like The Last One Did"
    In 1969 I was at Quantico for training, ever thing was jungle this or jungle that. We were asked if we were hungry & chow was gonna be brought out to that ball field & we were told to run over there & wait in the bleachers. In a little while a 151 & an M37 came bouncing over & they set up some tables fixin to feed us. Then they drug a damn snake outta that M37 about 10 feet long & chopped it's head off- That was LUNCH!:eek:
    A big ole sgt rolled his sleeves up & started peeling the hide offa that snake & looked up at us & said "This Kinda Like Pullin The Stockins Offa Fat Gal Huh?":rolleyes:

14. I don't know if it's a quote to live by, but I heard a great racer quote/insult this weekend-

"You couldn't drive a nail into a wet pile of horse shit!"

15. "He couldn't find his ass with both hands" my old man referring to me, lol.

Elcohaulic and Boneyard51 like this.
  16. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Ya, but you didn't screw up Zora Duntov's Masterstroke with those goofy extra tail lights.. lol!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. andyh1956

andyh1956

Saw this the other day-"When It Comes Down To The Nutcuttin You Fight Like You're The Third Monkey In Line To Get On The Ark, And Brother It's Starting To Rain!";)

18. andyh1956

andyh1956

"I Lose Money On Every Sale, So I Try To Make Up For It In Volume!":(
    "Welcome To Honest Andy's Twice Anual Going Outta Business Forever Sale!";)

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20. big john d

big john d
    from ma

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

not a quote but, interesting statement 20221115_161013.jpg

Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. "We screw the other guy and pass the savings on to you!"

Donut Dave and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. Besty34

Besty34

A good guess is better than a bad measurement

Shalamo and Boneyard51 like this.
  24. jnaki

jnaki

“Everything happens for a reason. Things change so that you can learn to let go, sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”

Hello,

In looking back at our hot rod history, it was an eye opener. We liked the cool custom cars, the bright colors and designs of the paint/scallops, too. So,what was not to like for a couple of young boys? It was the 50s, things were pretty simple and there was not much to worry about in our neighborhood. The two harbors were close by, fishing was had in deep sea boats or simple jetty rock casting away. The neighborhood playgrounds schools were just down the street. wow, sounds like set for a 1950 move of the week in the streaming channels, today. ha!

So, what ever made us start in hot rods, customs and drag racing was hitting us in the head, but we just plodded along. The whole aura was catching, and we went right along. Learning to drive was the starting point to put or dreams and ideas to work. What we put down on our school papers, our own drawing notebooks was s beginning step.

My brother’s cool lowered rake 51 Oldsmobile Sedan started the road to our drag racing builds. It was done as his friends had already taken the first step to make their own hot rods in a garage. So, I was the person learning things as I was designated “the gopher.” Go for this, go for that… but, the rewards were that I was learning at the expense of my brother and his friends.

Jnaki

We were happy with how everything was falling into place. We met a ton of hot rod/drag race folks and again, a giant learning situation that helped us grow. Our experiences were not out of the ordinary, but, just a couple of teenagers doing what we thought was the possible future for our lives. It was fun and a great learning adventure. The world of hot rods and drag racing went together and we learned a ton of stuff. We even learned how to start a business practice in its early stages…
    upload_2022-11-18_3-59-32.png
    Our hot rod activities were in line with our goals, so we kept adding something new. It reached its peak in the summer of 1960 and came to an abrupt halt. From that time on, it gave us plenty of time to contemplate how our future was going to shape up. High school and college were important to our parents, so that was one direction. The other was continuing in the hot rod world with a small business or expand into desert racing motorcycles and/or surfing world activities.

We just let things fall where they appeared and somehow, we got to where we are today, retired, having a wonderful granddaughter and family. We are settled in for the final run and it seems like a lifetime ago. The pandemic has added one thing we did not get over, there is money we save from not going on our long week to two week road trips. So, that is extra income rolling in each month.

We were told that old photos help keep the familiar memories going, but time will tell. It just seems like everything has fallen into place. YRMV

Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

“In a moment, there is joy…that’s all life is, a series of joyful memories”

Hello,

Memories abound with old friends talking about what we used to do as teenagers. Now, being almost 80 has created a new set of circumstances, but the memories are still sharp as a tack. I was in a fun conversation with one of my oldest, best friends from high school.

We laughed at the silly things we did as teenagers, compared to the teenagers going through the covid pandemic experiences. If that were the case back 60 years ago, it would have brought more creative thinking without consequences.

Jnaki

upload_2022-11-25_3-7-23.png
    For those 4 years of high school fun times, there are plenty of folks that did not make the 60 years to this day. So, those memories of them are all that we have left, using a smattering of old photos when they miraculously appear at reunions and gatherings when there wasn’t a pandemic.
    upload_2022-11-25_3-8-2.png
    The surf crowd through the hot rod/drag racing crowd did what teenagers do, have fun adventures that will go down in our history.
    upload_2022-11-25_3-8-41.png
    Thanks @themoose for a depiction of high school + years of changing over our 58 Impala to a really fast mild custom sedan. YRMV

26. "Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it does not matter" Satchel Paige

Boneyard51 and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  27. This is how I have run my business for 40 + years & it seems to have worked! Others who have "Poo-Pooed" this ideology have not fared so well! LMAO!

[​IMG]a

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  28. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

"I cut it twice and its still to short"