Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3M Quick Clean Paint Gun

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CarQuestions, Nov 7, 2022.

1. CarQuestions

CarQuestions

Hi All,

Can anyone PLEASE tell me what the history/ evolution/ progression of the 3M "quick clean" spray gun is?

I tried to Wikipedia on the subject however I cannot find the answer.

I am very interested in the "quick clean" features of this type of system and I want to buy a starter kit however I do not want to get locked in to an out of date model so if you all have any recommendations as to what model to buy I would really like to hear your thoughts.

I am just a home hobbyist so the obstacle to me getting a compressor based spray gun has always been the long clean up for a traditional spray gun for a small job however...IF...this device is easy to clean and easy to use I would really like to jump in to a more professional and longer lasting paint coating than the traditional rattle can jobs that I have done in the past.

THANKS for the advice!!!

2. It’s a great gun. Not cheap but compared to high end guns it probably is for some.
    The tips are designed to save a pro time by saving clean up. At home, that’s not much of an issue. It does offer you tip sizes to handle anything you use.
    My brain isn’t working to give you the latest name for the newest version.
    However, it’s a very good gun.
    Would I want one at home? If you keep enough tips or don’t mind paying what they cost, then yes.
    you will also need the disposable cup set ups. More $$$$$ spent.
    Or you can purchase a conventional HVLP from devilbis that has multiple tips.
    Ive got a couple low end Iwata Air Gunsa guns. At $140 each. They spray great. One 1.3 or 1.4 tip can handle paints and clears.
    A cheap 1.8 tip gun for heavy primers. $70-$80
    The $10-$20 Harbor Freight gun is a great beginner gun.

HVLP gun clean up is simple.
    A friend of mine that uses the 3m daily says he can clean a tip and get several uses out of it

3. CarQuestions

CarQuestions

Anthony...THANKS for the feedback.

Has anyone used the 3M Quick Clean spray gun and can give the name of the most recent version?

4. CarQuestions

CarQuestions

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  5. Bugguts

Bugguts

I have owned and used this gun for a few years now at home. It’s an ok gun and I use it for primer only.
    As for quicker cleanup, I have found no advantage whatsoever. None....
    I use PPS cups on all my guns and they all clean easily in minutes.
    Quicker cleaning would not be a selling point for me on this gun.

jimgoetz likes this.
  6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I haven't used one of these but after looking at it and the price of refills I just gotta ask why?

If doing production work I could understand but being a beginner/novice I'm with Anthony, I'd rather have a hvlp and use that as at that price you could buy a really nice one that would lay paint really good.

After all the years of using a binks #7 and numerous hvlp's I don't find cleaning any of them a nuisance or problem. Infact I can clean mine in 15 min tops and thats spotless.

I also think it's one of those things any painter should know, how to properly clean a paint gun.

low down A likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40069842/

It can use the Legacy PPS and PPS 2.0 cup systems.

While I don't use the 3M Accuspray ONE Spray Gun System system, I do use the PPS 2.0 system.

I have adapters for all of my guns, and yes, even the Harbor Freight purple ones!

I am not working in collision/insurance. I have enough time to clean my guns.

PPS 2.0 means that I am never risking contamination from a cup.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just hung up two of those on the wall in my prep area.

Be aware that you will need adapter to get it on your gun.

YOU will need to determine what threads your gun has. You may need a male, or a female adapter (or a weird trapezoidal one).

This is the link to them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/3M-26003-Female-Thread-Adapter/dp/B07PCZKFWK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1Y23GZH99YALC&keywords=3m+pps+2.0+adapter&qid=1667975009&s=automotive&sprefix=3m+pps+2.0+adapter,automotive,156&sr=1-1&th=1

Be aware that there is a dropdown box, where you will need to select your size. There are about 18 to choose from.

Also, I never spray without a regulator right on the gun. You want to set your pressure with trigger pulled.

https://www.amazon.com/16573-Accusp...0d-8cbe-9198e56617f6&pd_rd_i=B0054S5LKM&psc=1

If a MFG says 40psi, that means trigger pulled, not at the line from the compressor.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got the 3m pps 2 system and I love it, but I'm just a small time hobbyist. Advantages I see to it that aren't already mentioned: 1. mixing in the cup, so no measuring sticks or graduated cups required. 2. Integral filter in lid, so no messing about with filters, or forgetting to filter. 3. Spraying with the gun inverted, surprisingly useful, and no prospect of dripping.

All comes at a price though.

Depending on what you're doing you might need to get different sizes of systems. They come on 400ml 600ml and 800ml iirc. I chose 400 as I thought this would be best and to the most part it was, but I did find it necessary to refill on occassion (very messy, or chuck it and use a new one?).

The real mess comes when you pour paint into the hard outer cup to see it piss out everywhere because you forgot to put the liner in! Only done that once!

I found the hard cup (one supplied with each box of 50 liners and lids) became difficult to clean after a few spills. This then means you can't read the graduations easily. However, for me this became a blessing in disguise as I then moved to measuring by weight, with great accuracy, so the paint mix was correct. In turn this made me tend to mix rather less paint than I used to previously, resulting in less waste, but this might simply have been an improved experience thing, and not the system??

Other manufacturers have the disposable cup systems too which I think are cheaper. In the paint world there's competition to get shops to change systems. The adapters can be an obsticale to change so they can be provided free. To a hobby user you might need to talk to the supplier nicely though!

Chris

11. The only advantage to cleaning is if you are willing to throw the tip in the garbage everytime you use it. That is the idea behind the system. That will get expensive quickly. If you are not doing that then cleaning is exactly the same as any other gun.

Bugguts likes this.
  12. CarQuestions

CarQuestions

Thanks All for your advice!!!

13. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

I bought one a couple of years ago and did not like the way it sprayed. Decided to give it another try and ordered more cups and strainers. I really like the cleanup and mixing cup system. painted my Chevy II from epoxy to final paint using SPI products. Clean up is super easy and you only use about an ounce of lacquer thinner. Take the cup off, throw it away, then pour thinner in the top of the tip, spray it out 2 times, remove the tip and wipe the needle. I use all of the different size tips. Just sprayed a panel in lacquer on my 55, worked great. Only drawback is you can't adjust the fan pattern.

14. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

I have used the same tip on 2 gallons of epoxy. Still works well. tips last a while.

15. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

16. One advantage.
    Polyester primer on a hot day. I’ve had polly have about a 15 minute pot life on hot days. Makes it tough to spray an entire car.
    Chunking the tips in the garbage and cup liners saves gun clean up during the priming process