Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tiny "invisble" Bluetooth amp - music from your phone in your ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FishFry, Nov 9, 2022.

1. FishFry

FishFry

Here is something I want to share:

Since there are no radio stations here in Germany, that play that mix of old timey country/bluegrass and 30s/40s big band sound I like to listen to, it made no sense for me to keep the original radio (which would have needed new expensive tubes anyway).

So I searched for some sort of "invisible" MP3 solution (cause my interior Feng-Shui is not compatible with a blue LED screen on the dash).

What I found was a tiny Bluetooth amp that could play all my favorite music from my phone.

I removed the original radio from my 41 sedan, just kept the dial and knobs for looks.
    The BT module was pretty much a drop in at the hole of the right radio knob - even the original volume knob snapped just on it.
    Connecting it is straight forward - just bolt on a 12V power source and the speaker cables - done. It sounds surprisingly good, especially for the price.

upload_2022-11-9_7-40-5.png

I found the module for 12 bucks on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175154542396?hash=item28c806373c:g:dbMAAOSw-lpgbjmi

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

8B60A33B-08F2-4A7A-9EE4-6001B28181CE.jpeg Running this one in the 57 Chevy. It cost a little more. D6CD61C6-CB16-4AAC-B91E-63D2E2CB6AAF.jpeg

Mimilan, pprather, Cosmo49 and 3 others like this.
  3. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I use this one:
    TB21amp.jpg
    50Wx2 + 100w sub. I saw a guy dyno test one on YouTube and got an honest 30/30+60. $30 (Amazon). There is a new one out now with a fan and some beefier components that makes more power. Still cheap. I use mine with a 6 1/2" sub and 2) 3" full ranges. Hid away nice and sounds good. Bluetooth works. It also has an aux input. Mike

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    Cosmo49, Tman, FishFry and 1 other person like this.
  4. FishFry

FishFry

Yeah, it's quite amazing how much you can get for so little money.

5. I agree with the price to usefulness statement. :)

6. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

Geez I'm still listening to the 8 track player in my Camino.

7. I have a working cassette player in one of my rides. Cassettes are easier to store. I was surprised with some recently rediscovered cassettes I made nearly 40 years ago still sound fine.

8. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

Keep my 8 tracks close at hand! 20200607_210713.jpg

9. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

Mostly listen to my 327 while driving though!

XXL__ likes this.
  10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I use my factory Delco AM radio. They really have a terrific sound. Open the top cover, clip the blue wire, connect two 1K resisters to the side that goes to the volumn control. Clip the female side of a 6 foot mini jack patch cord. Solder one resister to the black wire, solder the other resister to the red wire. Connect the white and bare shelding wires to the metal radio cabinet.
    Put it back in, connect the phone or I pod and away you go.
    I ended up putting a Blaupunkt amp on my set up. I connected the speaker wire to the hi side of the amp. Put a round 8" wolfer and one 6 x 9 two way for mids and tweeter duty. Sounds amazing! Those radios really have a nice soft sound, like the old Magnavox tube Hi Fi sets. The Delco amps are very sensitive and fifty years old, so I'm sure the radio welcomed the additional amp to do all the heavy work pushing those big speakers. Besides the speakers are 4 ohm and the best you can use on a Delco radio was one 4 x 10 @ 8 to 10 ohms..
    Everybody that listens to my radio is amazed. I once had a 1964 Bonneville AM radio converted. It sounded like a cheap transister radio, even after adding amps and big speakers. I kept two speakers and the nice, well made, Blupunket amp from that mess..
    This is all in a 69 el Camino. In this cars cab any kind of stereo is a waste anyhow. The Hi Fidelity system I have now is the best sounding sound system I ever had in a car.
    I also use a good crossover network. This is such an important part to the puzzle. I went through three crossovers before finding the perfect one, it was the least expensive one too!

DSCN0020.JPG

11. Mimilan

Mimilan

Here's ours [it is showing the Aux input plugged in]
    Normally the glovebox stays shut and a phone controls it via bluetooth
    upload_2022-11-12_13-48-24.png
    We used the same unit as yours.
    I did a complete "how-to" thread back in 2019
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...th-sound-system-install-non-invasive.1155455/

Since then we've added the same units throughout our house [powered by 12v computer AC adapters]

UNCLECHET, Elcohaulic and FishFry like this.
  12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I stole the idea from you. I use stock radio as the on off switch and did the door buzzer as well in case Blue Tooth is left on. A5BD21B4-7217-42F5-9011-C90A9FA8C717.jpeg

FishFry, fauj and Bandit Billy like this.
  13. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Are you an electrical engineer? I mean I love your how to but it does sound like you know what you're doing! Great job!

RICH B likes this.