Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods There's a full Moon out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alchemy, Nov 8, 2022.

1. alchemy

alchemy

IMG_3300.JPG

There's a full moon out.

Growing up I remember a few cars in particular with full Moons that influenced me. I've never put full Moons on a car yet, but I have an appreciation for the real ones. No snap ons please.

One, of course, was the Superbell coupe. The deep dish Moons were a bit different than the common shallow version, and made the curvy car even more so. The coupe was obviously influenced by real salt flats cars, so the caps belonged on this car.

And a few other local cars I remember with full Moons as well: a shaved and decked '50 Chevy fastback belonged to a member of my Dad's car club. It was painted pink primer, and sat with a hot rod rake (no skirts). A cool car I can still picture 45 years later.

And another full Mooned shoe-boxy car I remember from the 80's is a '50 Ford sedan with black paint and flames, also with a hot rod stance. From the Des Moines area it might have had some Lee Pratt connection, but I can't confirm. In a sea of custom '50 Fords, this one was much more performance influenced.

Anyone else have full Moon memories?

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, but not car related:cool:

3. I agree, the snap on ones just don't look right. I built an OT model car recently with them but I can't post it.

They look really right on the right car, and a cheap cop out on the wrong car, especially if they are the snap on ones.

My grandpa had a 47 Chevy fleetline daily driver in the 90s with Moons, it was pretty cool lookin. It was a fixture around Des Moines for a while, as he sold it to Don Hanlin and he drove it daily as well.

Tman, chryslerfan55 and lurker mick like this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

Dandy Don Hanlin!

32fenderless and Dan Hay like this.

5. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

20200909 Shamrock, TX - Cropped.jpg My custom. These are the Speedway reproduction disks. I also run them on an OT truck.

Spun disk failure.jpg There is a "Learning curve" - this is one of my failures. Fortunately, I found it before I tossed a disk at 75 MPH. The washer was installed sharp edge down. I now install the washer with the radius (stamped edge) down (see picture below). AND a rubber washer to cushion the movements.

20200318  Disk - Labeled.jpg
    NOTE: The washer radius (stamped edge) is toward the disk. The rubber washer allows the disk to walk as the rim deforms in a turn.

Longer valve stems were installed and a hole was cut in the disk for the stem to stick out. I am much too lazy to remove the disks for every tire pressure check.

Russ

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here you go. IMG_20221108_0001.jpg

54delray, Sancho, mad mikey and 9 others like this.
  7. Mrs's Freeman ....

Screenshot_20221108-195531_Google.jpg

And every time I go into the garage, I used button head fasteners through a tapped hole in the rim, flat nut, Moon disc then lock nut. The hole in the rim doesn't get wore out and the screws or discs don't come loose.

20190506_213951.png 20191014_222813.jpg

8. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Behind the coupe, Jim Ewing ( beard ) talking to Louis McMillen ( from North Carolina ) .
    super bell coupe jim & louis.JPG

Deuces, Roothawg, The37Kid and 16 others like this.
  9. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Lee Behrens / Matt Sullivan 32.

station 3.jpg

Deuces, Roothawg, 54delray and 8 others like this.
  10. Nacifan

Nacifan

357 CAR 016.jpg Weigh-in 007.JPG These are genuine Moon Deep Dish. They have a small flat Flange. That is a perfect place for a screw. We use a small stainless steel button head screw. They stay on over 200mph more than a few times. With the Speedway and others out there being "Dead-Soft" Aluminum, I wonder if you couldn't use a "Bead Roller" to form a small flat mounting flange ??

Deuces, mad mikey, 1biggeorge and 3 others like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

Like most hubcaps back in those early days, rounding corners for any reason, the hubcap(s) sometimes had the tendency to come off and start the "rolling in the deep" process. (not a good sign.)
    upload_2022-11-9_3-55-50.png
    My brother and I would whole heartedly agree on the above statement.
    upload_2022-11-9_3-56-49.png
    A lowered rake style big Oldsmobile Sedan specifically for teenage shenanigans in Long Beach, CA needed something to bring it all together. The choice of screw-in, Moon Discs took first place after exchanging flipper hubcaps, small chrome center hubcaps and even full size hubcaps, between several of my brother’s teenage friends.

The screw on discs make just about any car look much better without anything else in the mix.

Hello,

In anticipation of the yellow 51 Oldsmobile Sedan becoming my first hot rod/mild custom/cruiser, I took care of it like it was mine. My ulterior motive was spurred on by my brother telling me to do this cleaning action, use this wax for the paint, use this for the chrome, etc. He was older, the boss and had a cool car. So, if I wanted to go somewhere, I had to do those commands.

When he got the first set of Moon Screw-in Discs, he drilled the holes and I installed them. Then later, when he got new tires, I did the installation by myself, but somehow lost several screws and used what I found in the “screw” drawer. They went in and worked fine…until, we got a phone call telling me to bring the other spare tire from the backyard garage for his Oldsmobile Sedan.

The screws I lost were flat tipped. The screws I found and used were pointy ends. So, they worked themselves into the tire and started a slow leak. I definitely learned a lesson here. But, continued to be the maintenance kid for all of the hot rods that came over to our house.

Moon Discs were just the necessary item to make the Oldsmobile Sedan look cool and racy at the same time. I suppose if someone made a wind tunnel test, Moon Discs would provide some faster flow of air whizzing by, as the car accelerated.

Jnaki

Then, after our Willys Coupe accident, we were in a state of limbo. Our close friend in Los Angeles called us to offer a Ford sedan for us. I drove up there to do a test drive. It was a 56 Ford Two Door Sedan that had just come off of racing at Bonneville and was being retired. It was a Flathead motor, 3 speed LaSalle and of course, Moon screw in discs.
    upload_2022-11-9_3-59-26.png Similar in looks, but the one that got away...

It was great looking, was able to accelerate well and it came with nice Moon Discs. As a close friend, he knew that we needed something to ease the recovery and memory. He knew we had the 58 Impala, but knew we still wanted to be a part of the whole hot rod/drag racing scene or go in a new direction.

Our friend knew we needed a new project and thought this two door, 1956 Ford Sedan would be a starting point. We could see ourselves driving this cool looking sedan on the salt. In a drive around that part of L.A. it had the power and the mellow sound of a race car, but was comfortable on the street.
    upload_2022-11-9_4-0-56.png 1956 Ford Sedan in 1961. Friday Art…

Since it was street legal, cruising up the driveway at the two teenage gathering spots, drive-in restaurant, parking lots in Bixby Knolls would have been just classic. We almost bought it to add to our current hot rods. But, we were a "sell one, buy one" type of family and couldn’t part with the 1958 Impala or 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. Although, our mom would have kept the 58 Impala for her own car. My brother was done with that portion of his life.

Note:

We tried putting on a different friend’s Moon Discs on the Impala. But, it just did not have the effect or styling look. YRMV

54delray, lippy, VANDENPLAS and 9 others like this.
  12. deuceman32

deuceman32

My full moon memory is from Sept of 1959. I was seven years old and just started grade two. I came home from school to find my 18 year old brother and a friend pushing an old car into our back yard. I asked, "What's that?" "A 1932 Ford 5 window coupe". "Why does it have steps on the fender?" "Come here, I'll show you", and he opened the rumble seat so I could climb in. "What are you gonna do with this?" "We're going to build a hot rod." "What's a hot rod?" "I have to go to work Tiger, but I have something in my car for you". He reached into his 52 Pontiac and handed me the April 1959 Rod and Custom.
    [​IMG]

Pointing at the cover, he said "That one's a hot rod and that one's a custom. Have a look." I studied that little book for hours. That cover coupe had polished moons and that image is seared into my head.

vtx1800, Deuces, Roothawg and 14 others like this.
  13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Calling Van Morrison...:cool:

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

____ Dance

lumpy 63 likes this.
  15. cabong

cabong

Nothing better to say Hot Rod, even if it is technically a sports car. These were "screw-on" and I never lost one... sonomahistoricsbfox035-M.jpg

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think if you look real close these say Moon. Button head Allen’s hold them on. 0115DCCC-A0F1-44E4-B27C-F012E97AB2F4.jpeg

Deuces, 54delray, lippy and 10 others like this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No personal experience but many many years ago a buddy mail ordered a set of the snap on ones and lost one of them off the car the first day or two after he put them on. What was left of it after it got run over on the road wasn't in very good shape though. I remember that he turned around and ordered another one and then ran them as long as I was around him.

18. Just so we’re clear, we’re talking about hub caps , right? Lol

19. goldmountain

goldmountain

Here are photos I took back in 1974 of Larry Foss' Model A Tudor. This was way before nostalgic hot rods came back into fashion. Scan-190209-0003.jpg

20. Ahh yes, that brings back a few memories. Last time I saw it was about 20 years ago when it had red scallops on the front sheet metal.

mad mikey and Rolleiflex like this.
  21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I own 3 full sets now. I like these. Scan0300.jpg

vtx1800, Deuces, 54delray and 4 others like this.
  22. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

From the early 60"s Anchorage, Alaska.  1.JPG 3 (2).JPG 3 (1).JPG Dave Barnetts 57 Ford #2 (Dave Barnett photo).JPG Dave Barnetts 57 Ford #4 (Dave Barnett photo).JPG My old 36 #4 (Dave Barnett photo).JPG Bob Donalds 59 Chevy (Dave Barnett photo).jpg Bob Donalds 59 Corvette (Bave Barnett photo).jpg Clarences 57 Pontiac (Dave Barnett photo).jpg

Deuces, Spooky, don colaps and 13 others like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

20 years ago this would not be a thread you’d want to click on lmao

24. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I always liked those 57 Pontiacs, I never owned one though. Growing up in the city of Pittsburgh there were all kinds of nice cars. A neighbor had a lipstick red 57 Bonneville with a continental kit. We used to sit on the big bumper while waiting to bat up playing wiffle ball. Behind it was an all black 59 Eldorado.

[​IMG]

Deuces, Spooky, Jet96 and 7 others like this.
  25. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Straight from the source.
    1521416066_e53206ab50_c.jpg 1520550301_3137ae37c6_c.jpg 2465853124_2fe33ab501_c.jpg

Deuces, Spooky, Roothawg and 13 others like this.
  26. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

My old '34 Pick Up. 302, C4, 8 In. IMG_0382[1514].jpg

Deuces, UNCLECHET, VANDENPLAS and 9 others like this.
  27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER