Register now to get rid of these ads!

A/C system comparisson VintageAir/Hot Rod Air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasDeuce, May 28, 2005.

1. TexasDeuce

TexasDeuce

It is starting to get pretty hot down here in deep south Texas and soon it will be HOTTER THAN HELL!

So I am in the process of shopping for an A/C system for my '59 Edsel since this is my new daily driver....However I've talked with VintageAir (complete system $1100) and with Hot Rod Air (complete system $900). Both companies were vey helpful/informative.

So I wonder if anyone has ever used any of these systems or can anyone recommend any other vendors....Am I comparing apples to apples?

Is there anything I should know about these companies/products???

Thanks in advance for the advice....TD

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

NO shit!!!

I'm glad I got the AC blowin cold in my daily again...trips to Austin & back were starting to get rough. Plus, cruising the '54 is like driving HELL, it's so damn hot inside.

Anyhow...Both companies are good from what I hear. They're both in San Antonio, so they know heat...which means they probably know how to handle heat.

I guess Hot Rod Air hasn't been around too long, but they might have some better prices...Vintage Air set the standard, but might be old fashioned... I dunno. My dad got his AC setup from Hot Rod Air just the other day for his '64 Chevy C-10, and he had an old Vintage Air setup in his old '66 Impala daily driver.

I'm sure someone else on here can elaborate and discuss actual differences.

I think the South Texas heat is getting to my head, not sure if I made any sense up there.

3. skipperman

skipperman

Vintage is IT !! The other companies componentry is lesser quality ..not bad units for the money but you asked which is BEST...... STAY AWAY from Southern air ..... I've installed and/or used them all ...Vintage is worth the xtra cash in the long run and PERFORMANCE is unequaled ...... my .02 ...

Jersey Skip

4. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

5. Nothing Old fashioned about Vintage Air. They are acutally the leaders in after market air in my opinion.

Price is usually relitive to getting what you pay for. I have used several Vintage air Units in customers cars and have had no problems.

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

It is my understanding that the Hot Rod Air guys used to work for Vintage Air... ;) and went out on their own........

When I buy........for me.......Vintage Air........ :D

7. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I think that is correct. The Hot Rod Air guys left Vintage Air to start their own thing. They may be great quality, but I don't know anybody that has used them. For $200, I'd go with the known quality of Vintage Air.

8. Judd

Judd

I bought a Vintage Air system for my 65 GMC and wasn't impressed with the cheap plastic parts or the fact that the vacuum controls cut the dash vents off at idle ( large cam no vacuum ). It worked ok till I sold the truck and it's probably like the refrigerators I work on real quality is no longer made by any one so Vintage may be as good as you'll get.

9. TexasDeuce

TexasDeuce

Thanks guys....your input is appreciated

TD

10. Vintage Air has been using electric stepper motors to drive the floor and defrost flaps for years. They still offer vacuum control on thier old style units.

I bought a Hotrod Air system for a Tri5 Chevy we built a few years ago. I opened the box and decided to return it imediately. Most of the formed plastic was missing from the case and adhesive backed high density foam rubber sheet covered over the exposed Evaporator. YUK!

I did find a company that had a kit with seperate heater and evaporator coils in it. Neat unit and worked like a modern HVAC system but I don't think they are around anymore.

As with all monoblock Thermocoils, a good shut off system for the heater is needed. The regular heater shut off valve needs to be in the supply line and it doesn't hurt to have a seperate shut off valve in the return line. Most of the poor cooling performance problems I have encountered are from improperly installed control vavles or the control vavles not sealing the hot water flow properly.

Oh and make damn sure you use Anti-freeze in your system, otherwise the AC side of the coil will freeze the heater core and render both systems useless!

All that said, I am a Vintage Air dealer. I like the function and control panel variety of them better than the competition.

11. tomslik

tomslik

NO SHIT!!!!!!!

12. 30roadster

30roadster

anyone use these guys before and have an opinion?

air-tique

13. willys_truck

willys_truck

I installed the old air products unit in my 69 chevy truck and I like it, but for any custom application I would go with the vintage air unit and make sure you get all electric (no vacuum), having vacuum valves and stuff is just a extra hassle having to run the vacuum lines in the cab. My dad just installed a vintage air unit in his 30 model A coupe and it is really nice!!

14. Tacson

Tacson

El, is this the company you are referring to?
    http://www.classicautoair.com/perfect-fit.asp

I see Vintage air is now making a unit that has separate heat and air coils. I am looking at both of these with strong interest to replace the OLD air unit in my 55 F100.

http://vintageair.com/cat2006/19.pdf

15. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

How much more $$$$$ is the vintage air magnum that you posted the link to?

16. Tacson

Tacson

I think it is $750 for the inside package. It looks more like an OEM model than anything I have seen. I wasn't always the biggest VA fan but I maybe converted soon :)

17. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

When I was building my 56 Studebaker wagon some years back, I contacted every AC company I could think of. Vintage Air was the only one who said they could cool a wagon. They were right! Going through Bullhead City, AZ, temp 115, and my wife put the window down to get a little heat in the car! Their stuff works.

18. Elrod

Elrod

I just finished A/C in my A-bone. The parts came from OldAir. The guys over there are very helpful on the phone, and I like the under dash unit a lot. Get a Sanden compressor though. They have a 2 year warranty. The chinese Sanden knock-off compressors only have a one year warranty.

19. I belive that is the one. Been in the car and working pefectly for some time now.

That Vintage Air deal is new to me, and I'm a dealer! That looks exactly like the solution to the quirky heater control vavles I have been dealing with. Not to mention it looks like it might just fit some of the applications better than the Gen II Super I have been using.

20. RATCAMINO

RATCAMINO

i have personally installed two complete hot rod air systems . one was the regular full box setup with heater in it the second was an under dash unit cool only and those are nice they are easy to install work pretty in a smaller cabin car and they look kinda ol skool.

21. Tacson

Tacson

El,

Besides the one pictured I have another 55' Ford F-100 pickup I was thinking of measuring to see if this magnum would fit. It looks more late model OEM than anything I have seen. I think it would be overkill in the F100. AC is one place I don't think you can have to much. You can always turn it down. Plus it keeps Mama happy and cool. Which is a good thing. Donald

22. You have humidity to deal with so anything that can squeeze the moisture out at a rapid rate will make you very comfortable. I always try to jam the biggest system the dash will allow. Many times I have stuffed the Gen II Super cooler in F100s and they work very well. This new Magnum IV system is big but I just measured it for my 63 and it will fit well. It appears there are manifolds on the evap and heater coils allowing connections to be made at the bottom. This coupled with the venting in the middle of the vehicle would allow you to stuff the unit higher up under the dash so you don't see as much of it. Downside is you will loose the glove box completley.

23. Tacson

Tacson

With Map pockets on the door panels or behind the seat I could make up for the lost glove box. The only thing I would have in mine is registration and a insurance card. So do you think that Magnum would be the ticket for a 55 F100?. I like that Classic Auto air but don't know a whole lot about the history of the units. I will be doing my research on this Magnum. Hopefully someone will install one before me and give some feedback. Donald

24. I just measured two 53-55 cabs I have here. Both measure just a hair over 10" from the firewall to the dash rail. with a bit of insulation and room for installation I would have to say the Magnum is not going to fit your truck. Bummer

25. Tacson

Tacson

Big Bummer,

Guess I will look at the Classic Auto Air unit or either the VA Supercooler. If I go Supercooler I may pm you for some install tips. Thanks Donald

26. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

TexasDeuce, try this dude...

Valley Custom Aire
    (956) 781-6699
    1300 W US Highway 83
    Pharr, TX

27. Tacson

Tacson

So El from your experience with 53-56's would you say the VA Supercooler would probably be the way to go for a guy who needed overkill with regards to an AC unit? That Classic unit although with separate coils sounds good as well. VA has a more well known track record. Classic maybe just as good but no one knows. Thanks for the advice. Donald

28. I have used Supercoolers in F100's for almost 10 years now in both variants. They do work well, I have one in my green truck right now and it cools very well.

Just as you stated, know one has much experience with the Classic unit. This is the only one I ever used... you just can't see it.[​IMG]

http://www.superchevy.com/features/0309sc_1956_chevrolet_nomad/

29. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Vintage Air has better technology, the owner of Hot Rod air used to design for Vintage Air, and their units work well, but they don't have as many choices as Vintage, Airtique has simple, but functional units, and has the biggest blower motor, Old Air is also very powerful, and their units mount and look like an original heater box on the firewall, Classic Auto Air has been around for many years, and has all the weird applications that nobody else does including Vintage Air, (such as a factory look for 63 style T-Birds and many others). All these companys have a good product, and they all have their own quirks. I have used everyone that I have mentioned, and will continue to use each of them. As El Polacko said, hot water getting into the system is the main reason for poor performance, as well as bad air flow across the condensor. Install a positive shutoff valve in the line that is flowing into the car to stop it before it ever gets past the firewall, and keep it closed till it gets cold outside, then let the valve that comes with the unit do it's job. The condensor should be within 1/4" - 5/16" of the radiator with a kick ass fan, and charge the system to exactly the amount the manufacturer recommends. More freon is NOT better! Hopefully this answers all the questions.