Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 ford Hood Won't open

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dick Pressnell, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Dick Pressnell

Dick Pressnell

I closed the hood on my 40' and now it won't open. The chrome release lever on the hood front will only pull up about 3 inches. The hood has no play in it at all. Is there anyway to release the stock latch? I can see from the bottom in front of the radiator but don't see any kind of a manual release lever. Thanks all.... 20221103_195302.jpg
    20221103_083408.jpg

2. Whatever you do don,t force that fragile release lever. Have you had someone push down on the hood while you jiggle the lever with utmost care ?

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Can you view and access the inside of the latch from the underside between the radiator and grille?

4. Maybe put the floor Jack under the grille chin with a rag so you don’t mess the paint and put a little pressure on the grille so the latch will release.

5. I would redo your post opening to say My 1940 Ford Hood won't open to get a few more of the actual 40 Ford guys to open the post. There has to be a trick but I don't know it. We have a few very gifted 40 Ford guys here.

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@40FORDPU please pick up the Ford courtesy phone

7. Nobey

Nobey

Try pulling down on the lever at the same time as you pull it forward. The top of the lever might be
    hitting a loose bull nose screw.

8. dln1949

dln1949

My 40 pu does that to me occasionally. In my case it's mediocre hood/fender fitment. I Push down on the hood and in on the hood sides just behind the grill. On my Deluxe, I swopped around rubber hood bumpers, thicker for thinner so to speak.

9. I took a couple of pics, maybe will help (hood/grille off car-engine transplant underway).
    There is the immediate hood safety catch, sounds like you're beyond that though.
    Further down, the large hook is activated by the small catch where my finger is pointing may need a bit of persuasion, or possibly linkage has disengaged?
    I wonder if from underneath you can persuade that hook to move. IMG_4360.JPG IMG_4361.JPG

Attached Files:

teach'm, olscrounger and Bandit Billy like this.
  10. Slopok

Slopok

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. RAK

RAK

I think 40FORDPU has it right, if you look carefully your latch hook is still fully engaged so you have to move it back from below while someone else carefully pulls the handle up. Looks like it might be an alignment problem. Good luck,
    Rich

PONTNAK123 and olscrounger like this.
  12. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Just do not lift up on the release lever! it will break!!!!, It may be the safety catch but that is easy to see and I think you have eliminated that as a cause