Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical When does a Garage become a Shop............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

And that's the era that the rules should have stopped development at...

Hank37 likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Sorry, I omitted the “T”. If I get into town (Oakdale, Ca) I’ll see if it’s still as-was. I used to regularly pass by it on my way to NAPA auto parts, but NAPA relocated a few years ago so I rarely go that way anymore.
    I recall it it was faded white, and faded blue writing. Another building was put up in the “lot” area, pretty close to it, all you could see was the “Studebaker”.
    If my memory is correct sometime in the 70’s it became a small Dodge dealership, but the “Studebaker Garage” lettering was still on the building.

3. That will never happen in my shop , because I am never done.;) Well , If I die I guess I'm done.:D

4. gene-koning

gene-koning

My shop will be my shop as long as the welder still occupies a corner someplace and still makes a few sparks a year. Would be a shame to downgrade it to just being a garage after 20 years of being a shop, just because I got tired again and finally retired.

One thing it won't ever be is a man cave. Won't be any carpet on the floor, or TV, and its too cold to sit out there in the winter if your not working.

5. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I will say that I bring a Bluetooth speaker and my iPhone with the Siriousxm ap on it out to the garage/shop when I'm bolting stuff together, and I have heat for the winter. But no other creature comforts. I do have a back door facing the woods, so I don't have to run too far when the need arises...

Budget36 likes this.
  6. gene-koning

gene-koning

Yea, there is a radio in the shop, there is even a couple of fairly comfortable metal outdoor style chairs in there. The back door to the house is 15' away from the walk in door of the shop, should a need arise. The gas furnace can get the shop warm enough during the winter to be comfortable just sitting there. I don't mind being out there when its warm outside, or if there is work to be done, or someone to talk about better times with. The Lazy Boy (so appropriately named) in the living room of the house is so much better, if there are no visitors or work to be done.
    If someone comes to visit, I'll pull the wife's car out, turn up the heat, and we can discuss life's important and not so important issues.

7. 55willys

55willys

When you are running your business out of it.

8. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

That's what the 2nd, 3rd, -> 20th Projects-in-Waiting are for.
    Marcus...

9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, budget36;
    Thanks for whenever you get to it. I like seeing old Studebaker Garages & Dealerships buildings. Hopefully, they've been repurposed & are still being used. Sadly, most past n current owners won't/don't honor the past history. ;( .
    Marcus...

10. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Mine is just a shop 8 months of the year, but the better halfs Miata goes in for winter storage, so 1/2 is a garage for
    the winter. I put a cover on the Miata, then a couple of flame proof blankets so I can still work on my truck, but
    no painting.

Boneyard51 and ekimneirbo like this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

Hey Marcus, I know the building is still there, but from the street view/walk in place of it, you would never know it was a garage at one time.
    The only knowledge about the structure being a garage, would be from those back in the day that can recall it. Dang, near 6am and I got to get to sleep, but has me thinking maybe I have time for a spin into town before work tonight;)

Boneyard51 and ekimneirbo like this.
  12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Please talk about realistic things.........we know that never happens. :p

13. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think Hank Hill said it best.....

14. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Well, my shop became so when I converted our horse barn into a place where I can build & work on my cars, trucks, bikes, beer supply, darts, and B.S. sessions with my buds. It has an attached 2 car garage where the ones that don't need immediate attention rest. The shop gets dirty, the garage does not.

15. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I.M.O., a Man-Cave is a place where your wife lets you put your stuff...

das858 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  16. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine will always be "The Garage" Ron geo2.jpg

17. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Looking thru old photos of my racing days, I came across this picture: 20220529_212520.jpg This was taken in 1974 outside of the barn my mom let me use for my "Racecar Shop", previously my racing snowmobile shop. Nicknamed "Dave's Barn". Neither garage or in reality a shop. But I had put in a 100 amp 220 power service, and a small woodstove. 16x18, with a front door, a side door big enough to get a snowmobile thru, and a rear door to get the race cars in and out. All wood, even the floor. Why I never set it on fire is beyond me!

18. A garage is for storage and a shop if for working/building. Example, right now I own a 30x40 with 16' ceiling. It is full of stuff that we have not had much luck selling or giving away. It is not a shop, my tools are in there but I cannot work in there. it is a storage shed or garage.

firstinsteele likes this.
  19. In the Sunny South, which is kinda the soggy south today, My idea/opinion of a garage is something that is attached to the house for you and your spouse park your daily drivers, a shop is where you work and build your hot rods or customs in, it's where you keep your tools and parts. HRP

20. Budget36

Budget36

Reminds me of my youth. My dad had a barn with 4 horse stalls on the end towards the pasture/corral. Once all the horses were gone, he extended it, framed it in and poured more cement and made it into a shop. We were building a Transfer out of a 3 axle Pete in it, and had no inside room anymore to do anything but work on the truck. So he added a shop on the end of his garage.
    Ya, I have them all filled up with my crap now.

21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Friend of mine in Lompoc, CA raced out of his 2 1/2 car attached garage for years, then decided he wanted to build a shop in his back yard. He was on a corner so access wouldn't be a problem, right? County wouldn't let him build a shop to work on his cars. He knew a lot of people, so he asked another friend who happened to be a car enthusiast as well as a lawyer for an opinion. Lawyer told him to re-submit the plans and permit application but instead of using the word "shop", change it to "recreational storage building". It worked, and 3 months later he had a 3-bay shop, I mean recreational storage building in his backyard.

22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Smokey called his " The Best Damn Garage in Town". Good enough for me.

impala4speed and Budget36 like this.
  23. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

when you have an appreciation for a place to create your dream ride....

ekimneirbo likes this.
  24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Don’t care what you call it, you gotta have some ragged chairs in it to sit and think about what to do next! I’ve got a couple of old office chairs out there, mighty handy to take a break in and sometimes just sit and watch traffic go by. Gets a bit chilly in the winter though…

ekimneirbo likes this.
  25. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

No offense, but in 'Bama ????
    Guess I think of chilly/cold a bit different, even if I am in Southern Minn. Well, I am at the northern edge of southern mn, but at least I'm South of canada... :D . Couldn't resist... Sorry...
    Marcus...

impala4speed and Budget36 like this.
  26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

In my youth. There were lots of repair shops with signs out front that read"FREDS GARAGE" or WILSONS GARAGE " or the like . Its a language adjustment .

Budget36 likes this.
  27. Back when the automobile appeared they were called Motor Garages (ad a name) and after time was just a Garage and then there were Work Shops and after time they became Shops but i feel these have little to do with what this thread is about. ''Garage'' when you just park a car or more and garden care items or a work ''Shop'' where things get done with cars, like work.
    just my take. JW

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Yeah, we don’t get never ending cold like you guys up there, but it gets below freezing and stays there several days at a time. We have 9-10 months above freezing temps, but those 2-3 months make you stay close to the fire, lol. Anything below 50* anymore and I’m staying in, can’t handle it like I could when I was younger. If I had an enclosed building I could handle it better. It’s in planning if I live long enough and don’t run out of money, adding sides and doors to what I have. Have got to get the floor poured on the 22’x40’ I added on a few years ago first before I can think about sides and doors.

Budget36 likes this.
  29. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Got an old stool and an old shower chair. One is always holding up the steel garbage can. The other holds me when I'm welding at the bench. Otherwise the extra is just taking up space...

I tend to keep anything that can burn out of the garage or is that the shop? Oh bother!

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  30. Jeeze, Moriarity, I’m speechless. I would gladly pay $5 to tour your museum, and that’s saying something, because I’m broke! What an amazing collection, and it sounds like you’re still cranking out builds, too. I am beyond impressed.