Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1939 ford tudor side glass removal, help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theHIGHLANDER, Nov 1, 2022.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, yes I did a search cuz I remember seeing talk of it but alas here we are. I can't get the damn side glass regulator out of my 39 sedan. I'm actually mad at myself that I can't see it. The glass dried out of the channel so have to get it all out and clean it up. But for the life of me I'm missing something.

Signed sincerely,
    How the fk...:(

2. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Rear side glass regulator? I don't see any way that the regulator comes out without cutting the inner structure..... at least notching the bottom to get the crank stud past the inner panel.

My regulators still worked so I just greased them up took the windows and channel out and installed the new glass and channel back into the regulator.

To get the window channel off of the rollers, just unscrew the stop screw on the regulator and roll it all the way up until the rollers come out of the channel.

It's a long winded process to get them back in, but I'll find the write-up that I did and post it, if you're interested.

theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  3. At times like this I ponder that the factory must have got it in there…somehow

4. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

That's what I thought too, but after exhaustive trying to figure it out, I don't see how it would have not been bolted to the inner panel before it was welded in.

I did use that theory to figure out how to install the glass tho. Figured it had to be a relatively easy process to install on the assembly line.

5. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Well I know that I removed and replaced them in my 40 sedan, but that was close to 40 years ago. I can’t tell you how I did it but I did it. So you can also. I removed them from my current 40 sedan project but that was probably ten years ago. Again, if I can you can. Lot of help I am.

6. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I'm just glad I dont need to.... but I'd be really interested to know how to get it out without cutting something

7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did one too yrs ago but don't recall--I remember doing the channels etc and installing the side glass was not easy!!!

8. I wondered that too. Then I thought surely not. But then, maybe. In any case the panels were welded in before paint.
    They would not have done many things, if anything, that involved damaging prior work or bending things out of shape.

Maybe there's a special 'tool'?

9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

It seems to me tht someone posted a tutorial on this here some time ago. Maybe the right search could find it.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I got it out. I'll shoot pics here and get the topic retitled for future help. I did search a cpl different ways but nuthin popped up.

Yes, there's a stop screw on the channel, need to take it out, magnetic screwdriver is your friend for it if you have breakfast sausage fingers like me. You'd then jiggle-fuq the channel down a bit, push back, forth, off the rollers, then out the top to the inside. The regulator (mine has a bent arm) is best cranked to be as long and straight as possible (hey, no dick jokes) and remove the end screws 1st leaving the 2 centers for balance. Watch your fingers here, which unless you're a Gieco gecko or an alien grey is about all yer gonna get in there (!). Rotate the regulator counterclockwise on the driver's side, clockwise pass side, so the crank stub is UP. Ease the assembly down, some more minor twisty-turny jiggle-fuq til the crank stub wants to hang on the lower lip, and it becomes the last part to clear the inner panel as you bring the main body of the regulator to the inside. I was still mad, a little, that I didn't see it all at 1st but that's me being me I guess. Once again, "...film @ 11:00..."

Again, my glass tape had failed and the glass was out, the other side? I'll try for an A to Z process with the glass. And finally, why take em out? To replace the fuzzies on the body side and fix the bent arm. Stay tuned...;)

Algoma56 likes this.
  11. Isn’t there a notch in the inner panel for the regulator shaft to pass thru?

12. Thanks for the removal description. Good details.

13. It was a complete nightmare doin it on mine. to compound the problem, my glass was slightly thicker than the original and the set tape was impossible to get into the channel. i ended up gluing the channel to the glass with 3M window weld, and then installed the glass back into the opening after replacing the fuzzies, and window channel felts, and just getting the set channel back onto the regulator that i never could figure out how to get out. Took me two days to get two windows installed!

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, it's a step in for strength with a few darts punched in the bend.

cvstl likes this.
  15. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I didn't take my regulators out, but I removed the glass and channel to install new whiskers channel felts and glass. I figured out how to get the 85 yr old glass out without breaking it, so I just reversed the process to put the new glass back in....... then I wrote this up:

First get some glass installation suction cups.... then get an extra set of hands. You can do it by yourself, I know, because I did - but the first time, it would be muuuuch easier with an extra hand. With the regulator installed in the car, and the glass installed in the channel, roll the regulator down and drop the glass in the slot, rear down. Here is where the extra hands help. Now lay on your back and stick your hand up in there and slide the roller back on the spring and then slide the channel on the window onto the roller. It's hard to do, there is limited room and you have little to no leverage. But after you can feel it and figure out how to slide it on - grease the rollers up and make sure it all moves as freely and easily as possible - you will eventually get the channel to slide onto the roller. Now, hold the glass and start to roll up the regulator. The rear will raise and you slide the back of the glass into the vertical felt channels as it comes up. Keep raising it while holding the front and let the top of the glass tilt back into the car, until the front roller is past the end of the track. Now slide the roller into the front track and start to roll it down. Once both rollers are in the tracks, you can roll it down, install the stop screw in the channel and you're ready to install the garnish/whisker felts and see how good it doesn;t actually work. Mine work marginally, at best, but they will roll down and slide back for the "smoker's vent," which is really nice with the cowl vent open for circulation.

It took me about an hour for the first window and about 10 minutes for the second. I did both solo.

Algoma56 likes this.
  16. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

There is a thread, it’s actually pretty easy. I’ll try and find it..

17. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since I got called away and didn't get pics it seems more info came to light. Screw it, I may still do a shoot removing the passenger side if the glass is still stuck to the channel.