Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Mahogany Corvette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Mahogany Corvette

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

dana barlow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Moedog07

Moedog07

A very good read.

4. Cool. Wonder what that weighed?

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Presumably the templates were taken from the final approval clay styling models. No 3D CAD back then. Which is probably how all the little fitment issues worked their way into the final product.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have no idea if this is true, but I read that one of the biggest reasons GM decided to go with fiber glass was that they couldn't figure out how to efficiently stamp the rear quarters out of steel for mass production. Supposedly, there were (failed) prototype steel bucks for the corvette at one point.

Early production runs were small... And I'm guessing they never figured the Corvette would be as massively successful as it was.... so using fiberglass could be written off as a novelty and a necessity of sorts.

The way it played out, you gotta think GM became one of the most knowledgeable composite companies in the world. Hell, even the new mid engine Vettes have some fiberglass in their DNA.

63fdsnr, AHotRod, dana barlow and 5 others like this.
  7. :cool: … Learn sumpin’ new everyday!

... and on a somewhat related note:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

9. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    40two and NoSurf like this.
  10. A work of art in its own right.

WalkerMD likes this.
  11. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Geesh, talk about labor intensive. If it was mentioned I guess I missed it but I wonder how many man hours went into producing just one 1953 Corvette. With a price tag around $3500.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Way cool! So these were the ''plugs'' that the molds were taken directly from? Shame that they're gone.

13. I have been a woodworker since that car was new and today was the first time I ever heard of "Polynesian Mahogany". I looked it up and what do you know - there really is a species of tree that is called that, its scientific name is Toona sureni and it is not a true mahogany, which are all in the genus Swietenia.

It's good to learn something new, and for the record, I like Corvettes of that era, even though my older brothers sneered that they weren't "true sports cars".

aircap, Sancho and Special Ed like this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's used a lot in Hawaii... In fact, I made all of the headboards for our beds out of it. Really nice to work with. It's actually pretty soft and machines wonderfully.

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn. Impressive!

dana barlow likes this.
  16. Dream Boy

Dream Boy

Its hard for me to think that someone would destroy that wood Corvette buck.

LOST ANGEL, WalkerMD and dana barlow like this.
  17. dave agosti

dave agosti

I'm sure many wood prototypes were destroyed. No further need for them. Beautiful pieces!

18. goldmountain

goldmountain

The ultimate coffee table.

283john and Budget36 like this.
  19. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

An amazing bit of woodworking!

20. aircap

aircap

For some idiot reason, tools & tooling are not considered to be art.... but it's obvious they can be.

21. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

They make shitty race cars?

22. Budget36

Budget36

What craftsmanship. I’ve seen some shows/videos of guys carving new models out of clay, but seeing that is kinda mind blowing.
    Would be cool to find that it resurfaces someday. Chances are it’s been long gone when a new change was made.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've often thought this... Even today's machine tools are gorgeous... I know a guy that machines titanium exclusively and his tooling is straight up art.

Relative to the global competition of the time, yes.

24. That’s pretty cool for sure. I have made a few fiberglass molds and lots of fiberglass parts. But, that buck is a work of art to say the least. Thanks for sharing. :cool:

427 sleeper likes this.
  25. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those buck's would be a work of art, no matter what species of wood they were made of. Being Mahogany makes them even better! :cool::cool::cool:

SS327 and LWEL9226 like this.
  26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Incredible. If only that body buck had survived. Would look great setting on a cutaway chassis. Or perhaps drop it on running chassis and drive it into the Corvette nationals.
    In pre CAD, Kirksite days, the blueprint drawings were three dimensionalized into clay, then ultra skilled woodworkers would build wood bucks that would be scanned/machined into steel tooling dies.
    This film follows the process on a 55 body (wood bucks at 12:10). It has a main focus on just the door, and is a reminder of just how painstaking and tedious the drawing - finished product was. It's a fantastic look at post war American ingenuity and old world craftsmanship, not to mention the insane amount of effort required to pull off such a task.

27. A bit overwhelming for a coffee table, but would make the ultimate buffet table!

28. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

Very cool.Thanks for sharing!