Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Quad Headlight Grille Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rocket88NZ, Oct 29, 2022.

1. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Hi, just wanted to get some options and perhaps ideas as to thoughts on this mock up, not sure if its worth continuing , your thoughts. P1040376.JPG

Attached Files:

2. I like it, but it's not really era-correct for a Flathead-powered car...

Quad lights first appeared in '57, the flathead was well on its way out.

3. Thoughts? Okay. Quad headlights became a thing to do after factory cars started coming out with them. However, your build looks to be an earlier style than that. In other words a car built in the early fifties would not have had something that didn't come about until the late fifties/early 60's.

lurker mick and Dean Lowe like this.
  4. Um....uh....er..... I don't want to hurt your feelings, but.....no! The quads (and maybe the Pontiac grill) don't match the era. JMHO, take it or not....

lurker mick, VANDENPLAS and Dean Lowe like this.

5. Just my opinion, but I don't think quad lights look good on any hot rod. Even customs some restraint is needed. I'm just not a fan of quad lights.

low down A, Tman, clem and 4 others like this.
  6. Slopok

Slopok

Not unless you're trying to copy the "Ala Kart" ?

Dean Lowe likes this.
  7. jeff.l.hecht

jeff.l.hecht

I like it, is that Edsil or Chrysler head lights?

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On that car they look way too stuck on as an afterthought. As in "OH, damn, I need to do something to get ten more show points to beat Joe next season".

I'd have to agree 100% the car wants something more befitting and appropriate for the flathead.

Actually 36 Pontiac headlights to match the grill mounted in traditional hot rod fashion would look pretty nifty. Maybe even mounted like on a stock Pontiac if you have enough of the nose. 36 pontiac sedan.jpg

9. I’m here for it. Proceed!

Stogy, 3quarter32 and jeff.l.hecht like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you just had the A cowl was adding some back section that you scrounged up and cut down that came off a post war car and a overly flashy engine then the quads would be cool as all get out.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  11. Well, you asked.

lurker mick and dana barlow like this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I love canted quads.... I guess someone could have put them on his hot rod in 58 before changing anything else? Should be real "show rodish" to really pull it off. candy paint, lots of chrome, pearl rolled and pleated interior.... quads.jpeg

EVL401, don colaps, ccain and 7 others like this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't be done.

ccain, BJR, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  14. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it . Looks Kool

Stogy and 3quarter32 like this.
  15. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Thanks for all your comments, original idea was early 60's show car with flake paint etc. as Mark suggested but appreciate that the flathead may not have been used in this era.

16. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I dig it. Building a car to a period is cool but its not how true rods were built, even an early rod built in 46 would get altered in 53, then again in 59 and in 63 and on.... build it how you like it. Looks like something ed roth wouldve done

Stogy and Okie Pete like this.
  17. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

They are actually off an English car.

jeff.l.hecht and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  18. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm...I don't think you can pull that off without adding some more '60s custom touches to tie it all together. 0.36.jpg

EVL401, akoutlaw, Just Gary and 6 others like this.
  20. Only if you also have tailfins in the back to keep the same theme.

Rocket88NZ and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

A molded grille area between the tail lights with bullets or tubes between the tail lights would work too.... emporer.jpg

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like the design but the rest of the car would have to be equally radical or it would look off.

Just Gary, Stogy, clem and 1 other person like this.
  23. krazee

krazee

Actually, for where you are in New Zealand, there were a few early cars around the 60's early 70's that had quads and Flatheads, although the engines were usually up graded to Y blocks later on. These were generally early builds that had been updated. I'm an old Rod Bender. Build it how you like, it is yours after all. In New Zealand we were generally behind what was happening in the USA and took our inspiration from the next Hot Rod mag we saw. Most things were adapted and massaged from what we had access too.

24. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

This is what we call the arc of a story. I'm glad to see all angles represented.
    Every one is right.
    Rocket88NZ has the last word.
    If you don't can't care for it change it.
    The motif factor does hold,, to support the image.

Rocket88NZ, Stogy and Okie Pete like this.
  25. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Emperor and the Cockroach my 2 favourite roadsters. Thanks for all the comments encouraging and not. Definitely food for thought. Wanted to do something different with the front end but not make it the whole car focus, pretty difficult I guess. As Krazee said there were quite a few cars here modified this way in the early days although not really fenderless hot rods that I know of.

Stogy likes this.
  26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Slim the shell down width wise and highth wise a couple inch and it would look a bit better.

27. krazee

krazee

Most of the ones I was thinking of were sans the front fenders, with modified/bobbed rear fenders. Doug Smiths 36 coupe, another 34 Tudor that was chopped and channeled, 32 Mor door that was channeled only. Most were copied from the late 60's era in the States. For NZ, your mockup could be from the late 60's early 70's.

Rocket88NZ likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bring it on like Fink...before it eats your brain...just funnin' ya Mate...I suppose there were some that flatheaded it against the rules of engagement but I agree there were many OHV options tugging at the gas pedal for more in the later 50s and on. You've captured my interest...there's another Hotrod a Hamber has evolving and it sure shares similar details, mind you there are no quads...

Rocket88NZ and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  29. 34Phil

34Phil

would look better with headlights vertical with that grille IMO

30. It does not fit the usual recipe, that most find pleasing. You need to decide if that is a good thing, or a bad thing.

Rocket88NZ likes this.