Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Is there a color you won't paint a car? why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 26, 2022.

1. LOL, Obviously I made all that up. I just get a kick out of the hate threads and all the reasons why it’s deserved. Just lightening it up a bit with a little spin.
    I caught the regerts part. How many times did you clear spell check.

ekimneirbo and anthony myrick like this.
  2. Twice
    Made up? Shocking.
    All my stuff about time travel actually happened.

hate threads? I like these discussions. I like knowing why some folks like or don’t like things.
    I’m always surprised how some use other folks opinions to make decisions.

3. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the superstition about green race cars being unlucky. I recall this being a big deal in NASCAR and Indy. Even though I'm not superstitious I wouldn't paint a race car green out of respect for my elders who were.

Dave Mc and wraymen like this.
  4. Interesting, could you go back to 1976 and smack me on the head? I’ll supply date and approximate time…please get there early!

anthony myrick likes this.
  5. Must be a US thing only. British racing green and jade green are two of my favorites.

6. No. Time travel is chasing light. It’s basically a 4D TV show. No interaction with something that’s already happened.
    All we can do is go back and laugh

wraymen likes this.
  7. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

an early brass car can look good with white.

and also a 50s car with lots of chrome can look great with white too.
    had a 56 Pontiac safari that was white and it looked great because of all the stock chrome on it.

Monochrome white no Bueno.

Just Gary likes this.
  8. Busmania

Busmania
    from Denver

9. Silver, white, pink, pastels all look bad on pre war rides
    C6EA33CF-184A-4B2B-AEA8-FC505EB69212.jpeg
    405F798A-AF27-4BF1-8F9B-0FFF1F2A4D1E.jpeg EF92799A-D5AB-413C-AABF-E9FBB850DDC4.jpeg D2736BE5-5639-4050-BB38-17EAE25F7BAC.jpeg 703080FA-7325-4153-90BE-76BD94D5C89B.jpeg
    Hmmmm
    38B872D1-9AE0-400C-87EB-D0B4CBAA8F85.jpeg

Just Gary likes this.
  10. wraymen likes this.
  11. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I used to race Professional Flat track & T.T. Motorcycles, Green was a big No No. when I was racing I wouldn't even chew Wrigleys Doublemint Gum , as it came in a green wrapper. Still avoid green clothing,cars or Motorcycles.

das858 likes this.
  12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm the oldest of 10 children.

Mom always called for me to carry the dirty diaper to the hamper. No problem, Mom.

So baby poop yellow is really very special to me. :confused:

56don, ekimneirbo and anthony myrick like this.
  13. finn

finn

Flip flop colors, ie Mystic.

Pink.

High impact colors, popular with Mopars and some Fords in the late sixties or early seventies, unless it’s a car from that era. Backdating is bad, ie don’t paint a 68 or 69 Mopar a color that wasn’t available until 1970.

Pastels like were popular on street rods in the eighties and nineties. Weird striping from that era is a no go, as are weird two tone schemes.

Scalloped, lace, and metal flake are all turn offs, although candy is ok. Pearls…not so much.

ffr1222k likes this.
  14. Hands down, it's GM Code 89C Autumn Maple Poly for me. Screw that color right in it's shiny, enamel asshole!

See, that color hit the streets on GM trucks in 1989 the same time I worked at a parts store that also mixed paint.

The minute that color came out in the Martin Senour chip book, every goober that was building anything had to have THAT color on his "hawt-rawd" or "Four-by-four". I swear to god I've mixed 300 gallons of that shit, and continued to mix it WELL into the 90's. I could probably mix it today without a scale and blindfolded.

I mean, it was ridiculous. In my town there were Autumn Maple Coupes, Autumn Maple Roadsters, Autumn Maple Camaros, Autumn Maple Impalas, Autumn Maple Chevelles, Autumn Maple Jeeps... I could go on like Bubba and shrimp dishes but I'll stop. Monkey see, monkey do I guess.

I never got why people got such a hardon for that color. At first it was funny but then it got to a point where I'd actually get angry mixing the shit.

I've looked mournfully down the throat of too many perfectly good paint cans that were blighted by this wretched brown/red concoction of Satan himself.

I would rather get back together with my ex and have her mother move in with us, than to paint a car, any car... or shithouse, for that matter, with this bile inducing assault on the visual cortex. I'm not bitter... I just have a very strong opinions of that color. :p

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    24riverview, 1940rpu and Just Gary like this.
  15. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I think some of the posted pics should be w it really depends on the car and how it's done. Just asking what color car we don't like is dependant on many factors. I don't like brown cars, then there's a post of a brown car I like. Same with pink, guy posts a Pic of a pink car I like....

It just depends.

56don likes this.
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I get nothing but compliments on my Autumn maple 61.... 61.jpg 61slick.jpeg

akoutlaw, ffr1222k, ccain and 5 others like this.
  17. I'm incredibly introverted but don't mind the color and flashiness of my bright yellow and white '57 ford.

wraymen likes this.
  18. wicarnut

wicarnut

Here's my opinion, I subscribe to the color question/remark with resale red, no sale green and black is "It" on a hot rod. You can't top shiny black with chrome period. Have I always followed this to the letter ? No, not always as the color "fad" paints have caught my eye a few times, examples, my highboy roadster back in 2000 was painted with radiance flip flop, blue/purple/copper, I liked it, everyone knew that was my car, but when I went to sell it, was told numerous times, nice car, but the color was not very salable/ desirable, lesson learned. My 32 3 window was sunset orange, a Chrysler color that became very popular on hot rods, I had no problem selling that car, it was a very nice car, My 51 Merc was shiny black, straight as an arrow, pretty nice car, slow selling much to my surprise, 2 things, top was not chopped and the market/times, timing is everything IMO. I've noticed green seems to be the hot fad color currently. Pics of my cars are in my albums along with some of my racers. On the subject of race cars I generally went white with some color as it shows up better at night on dirt tracks, back in my day, some places the lighting was poor, had a friend killed hitting a spun/parked black car against the wall, cushion was at the wall, my friend never saw him till too late. I've had many black daily drivers, PIA to keep up, No more black cars for me, had a few red, black cycles, currently my 2 OT hobby cars, 1 black, 1 red, my wife's OT sporty car is red, my DD SUV is the very popular beigey silver color. 1/2 the SUV's seem to be this color. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Color/Stance/Wheels/Tires is what makes the difference between an OK car and an Outstanding car, again IMO. AS always my opinions are worth the price you paid. LOL

19. Excellent! You are making great progress! May I suggest adding a musical horn or maybe opening the exhaust or wearing an outlandish hat. Take small steps, moderation is the key.
    That will be $200, make check out to Gunther, Scholz and Wraymen MD
    (we live in Maryland). ;)

The_Cat_Of_Ages likes this.
  20. I have two low horns of slightly different pitch, does that count? and the exhaust is wide open... other than a flap which i havent quite understood its existence.

wraymen likes this.
  21. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

JD> Blitz Black, It sucks.

22. Mo rust

Mo rust

Mine would be clear. lol Seriously though I don't like the look of a car that the owner painted shiny clear over patina. It just isn't natural...
    When in doubt, I like to paint cars black. It's kind of a "family tradition".
    My father always said he never saw a black car that he didn't like.

23. I assume the check is not in the mail then. :(

The_Cat_Of_Ages likes this.
  24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Yellow. I would be reticent to buy a yellow car, let alone go out of my way to paint one that color.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  25. Yellow. If youve seen the movie Used Cars, Yellow is my red car. No yellow ever.

26. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

With very very few exceptions, I would say white. I don't necessarily have anything against it. But, I heard "I didn't even see you..." enough times while waiting for the cop to finish the accident report that never owning a white car again seems like a good policy. The only silver lining to owning that one white car is that it helped me develop my "watching out for all the crazies" skills.

27. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think paint color selection "reflects" a builders personality............and their budget.

Its kinda like the thing we went thru a few years back where women seemed to think that the more they exposed, the more attention they got. Then there were the ladies who realized they could just dress modestly, and they still got plenty of attention. Kinda the same thing with paint choices...........

Has anyone noticed how many gray vehicles have been sold lately? Seems to be a trend in sedate colors for hot rods as well. I'm glad we all have somewhat different tastes, thats what keeps us always looking at what someone else did.

28. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moriarity likes this.
  29. Magfiend

Magfiend

Pink, teal or any other Easter eggy color. Also, that split pea green that was popular as a factory color in the early 70s...yuck...

30. I'm not saying you don't have a beautiful car there, Mark. :cool::cool::cool:

That color though... it's like black. Your panels have to be laser straight to pull it off. Your car pulls it off. :cool:

All I'm saying is, back in the day, the color got worn out for me. Sorta like popular songs the radio station played over and over again until you hated them. Think Alanis Morissette. :rolleyes:

Not comparing your car to a marital aid, mind you, I'm just sayin' if you work on packaging line at the dildo factory, sooner or later you get tired of looking at dicks. :p

I've never been one to run with the crowd, and the crowd where I used to live would put Autumn Maple on their toast if it wouldn't kill them. :D:D:D

Moriarity likes this.