Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hot rod head lights

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 3w Hank, Oct 27, 2022.

1. 3w Hank

3w Hank

When was the traditional 'King Bee' head lights out on market ?
    I personally like the style of them and not the older designg spherical with a small lence say etc 5"
    I found this pair here in Sweden.
    I has no idea from what car but kind of cool frame to lens.
    What car can it be ?
    It must be pre 1940's but maybe European ?
    I think it was diameter at 7" ( price 100 USD )
    -Will be on my late 40's style 32 5W coupe, no fenders.

Ideas ?

Attached Files:

don colaps, Tman and oliver westlund like this.
  2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

never seen 'em before...

3. alchemy

alchemy

That's not a King Bee. The sealed beam bulbs that became common were introduced in 1940, and some trucks had free standing units that were adapted to old cars. Probably most of that didn't happen until after the war though.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

BLC, Guide, Arrow, as well as King Bee and other smaller companies made replacement lights that were common on hot rods. Late 40's were when those became common.

dana barlow likes this.

5. Personally I'd find a pair of Arrow 775 lights; they state the title of this thread "Hot Rod Head Lights" perfectly.

HemiDeuce and dana barlow like this.
  6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’ve learned from these threads also. Its reported that original Hotrodders didn’t use them. And they were originally off 50’s motorcycles and earlier big trucks.
    I like them. I don’t care if they were traditionally used or not.
    I do know for sure the new “trend” of big original style lights were never used and the seal beams were the go to light.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/king-bee-headlamps.18644/

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/guide-headlights-what-were-they-originally-on.43343/

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    e z i and dana barlow like this.
  7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Can't help much about Sweden,but in the USA;
    PRIOR TO 1939: Headlamp design was not standardized. While many cars during the earliest part of the 20th century used round, stand-alone lamps, as car design evolved, auto manufacturers began to design lamps unique to their vehicles.

"

1940-1956: To control chaotic supply problems with unusual headlights, all U.S. cars were required by law to use (2) 7" round sealed beam headlamps with one lamp on each side of the vehicle. Note that each lamp is a "dual filament", meaning that the same sealed beam lamp serves as both low beam and high beam. Therefore, they all have 3 electrical prongs at the rear.

A lot of lighting didn't light the road very far ahead 1939 on back,as speed went up,cars could out run what could be seen ahead at nite. The 7in. sealed beam was a quantum leap* in lighting to the old bulb n reflector styles. Hotrodders were fast to pick up on the better lighting,an use the aftermarket 7in. sealbeams,they looked n worked far better. Big older lights were trashed. Thought of as ugly old crap. { today,seems there are those who failed history,and just go with what ever copy cat trendy junk they saw on some other trendy copy cat car,we see big old style headlights being added{with BS,like how they love the look of big lights;= pretty much is like adding a sign"This car is owned by a trendy copy cat"
    The new aftermarket repop{fakes} of big old style,now have far better bulbs n do light well,but that dose not change the history fact=they didn't work well* and were replaced n not used any more.

Hope that fills in a little !

8. Lower frosted glass section looks like the old HELLA glass pattern.

rusty valley likes this.
  9. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I like the Arrow 775.

So what is told here.
    Is that ; the older spherical lights as the ones I showed was from ex trucks, and was not used so the big lights ( later trends ? ) might not was used on hot rodders ?
    So did they go seal beam aka Arrow 775, King Bee ?
    -But as I got those head lightrs was to be mid 50's not late 40's ?

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Let the pictures of each decade be your guide. In the 40’s you’d be hard pressed to find a lot of Hotrod’s on the road in middle America. But you’d see a lot on the salt. Those cars mostly didn’t have headlights installed. Do a search on historic pictures.

D5E0563A-7E5C-4075-B865-219CEA897077.jpeg 0992EF5E-E759-453F-9E2F-3D8DF42C37BB.jpeg A816C6E3-8A37-4DD9-B3F8-80CB35193372.jpeg

oliver westlund likes this.
  11. 3w Hank

3w Hank

A queston ;
    The headlights I showed, should they be cool, all black or chromed ends or all chromed.
    How much are the Arrows in price today and was they out late 40's ?

12. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I don't know what those lights are either, but I think they look cool and with that type of lense would look appropriate on a late '40's style car. I don't think Arrow lights came out until the the '50's.

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I prefer the black body with the chrome lense cover and chrome turn signal light housing.
    As far as arrow lights…it would be smart for you to jump on these.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/254938000076
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/203985310269

3201C0B0-38A5-47D8-9FCE-3E5AEB72678A.jpeg 4904DEA8-AF59-4F21-8AFE-8F5AA9073AA4.jpeg

14. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I bought the lights.
    I think design was cool, especially the front ring.
    Must be truck aplication and it was mm bolts inside so European, maybe Volvo ?
    Not maybe a hot rod used part but...
    Will mock them on and see.

Attached Files:

don colaps, kadillackid and Petejoe like this.
  15. choptop40

choptop40

id run em the way they are...

16. Run ‘em. I think they are rad.

17. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Did they have Ford 8N tractors in that part of the world?

18. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

If ever you have wondered.... The idea of mounting the headlamp into the fender design was Patented by the Pierce auto company, sometime before 1914.
    This left all other ( American ) companies no choice but to make the light a separate pod.
    When that patent expired fender styling took a leap.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    WalkerMD, Petejoe and rusty valley like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Real King Bee headlights are round and have seal beams They also should have the King Bee tag on them. King Bee heaadlight.jpg King Bee headlight 2.jpg King Bee headlight 3.jpg

Grandadeo likes this.
  20. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I has 3 Ferguson tractors from 47 with US Continental Z120 engines ( This tractors are based out of the Ford 8N ) but here they came from UK less no options so seller ( ex ) here in Sweden did mount on gauge, lights, tools etc.
    First Ferguson was made 1946 after Ford lost a conflict by use Fergusons patent unlegal on the 3-link ( revolution )
    They made them both in UK and USA.
    My tractors has Sweden made lights but at 4" ( see picture )

This 7” lights I showed has mm bolts so its European.
    They look like a smaller brother to the J Guide but at the same 7" openings but I like the glass and the end trim on them, so I think I will use them.

King Bee is nice but as I get it more up the 50’s.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    vtx1800 likes this.
  21. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Question, is the Ford 36 lights at 7” ?
    I found this ones, but repro ( don’t like that ) as I has one glass hurted on the lights I bought.
    One told me today it might be Citroen 40’s or 50’s.
    Glass on them is Very nice in design and deepth in glass and nice curved.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/250712058153

22. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I found a set of BLC in a very nice conditions and the same ones Larry Rollers used on his 3W.
    I think the ’look’ big but I has also the smaller truck as showed above.
    That chromed rim is real neat on them but it might look small but they has the shape as a BLC.
    I will test both on my coupe.
    The guy sold me the BLC fronts had a 39 rear lights aswell, but I think I will use 37 style if no fuel tank, but with fuel tank I might use them.
    I also found a cool vintage WW2 oxy tank.

Attached Files: