Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 gastank or not

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 3w Hank, Oct 13, 2022.

1. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I’m not there yet, but give me some inputs on a 32 5W coupe in late 40’s racer style - gastank or not.

My plan is/was to use a QC and thet got me into the A-Ford cross and spring ( it might be a T-Ford spring )
    If use a std gastank I’m really not need my QC or change cross or bother whit ’best look’ on a spring.
    I actually also like the std Henry rearaxle center or one in magnesium ( but $ )
    I been on and off about the tank.
    -If I was a racer back then would I use the std tank or remove it and install a cell in trunk ?

But we has the ’look’, and its nice with tank but the frame hang down and it look odd ( of course traditionally )
    But I was into pinched frames ( cool and nice but not really late 40’s ) so I chanched me big time there.
    I’m not cut my frame at rear for a time... this has to be feel over.
    This is ’tradition’, chopped 3.5” body, Ardun heads and all Henry parts, lots of black and some chromed-nickel.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
  2. banjorear

banjorear

Hank,

Using Ardun heads removes that car from being a '40's racer. It seems like most of your questions focus on time periods and part correctness. Ardun heads would be late '47's, early '48, but they really didn't gain popularity with racers until '49/'50.

Not to split hairs, but a pre-war vs. a post-war car are very different. When guys returned from WWII, the fit, finish and technical aspect of the cars changed tremendously.

The37Kid, Blues4U and lurker mick like this.
  3. daylatedollarshort and The37Kid like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've seen these old aircraft oxygen tanks used.

upload_2022-10-13_8-16-57.png

5. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Banjorear.
    Youre right going Ardun heads mean very late 40’s but it was not the way at start but my 59A block was cracked and as a ’hemi-guy’ and see I can fix the block plus the QC that become the ’style’.
    I had been into prewar ( 29 roadster ) but leaved that when the 32 5W coupe came in.

I realise most used std gastank in this era.
    Maybe they removed them in the 50’s and better rear bones etc (?)

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMO don't waste a lot of money on a magnesium QC if you are going to hang a tank in front of it (actually behind it depending on your point of view).
    My car is not a 32 but you will get the point. I built it with a '32 tank because they do look cool!
    upload_2022-10-13_10-6-19.png
    I changed it after a few years and put a tank behind the seat. Rear end has a better view now of the QC and suspension. I also hold more fuel than before.
    upload_2022-10-13_10-7-11.png
    I don't think either way is a mistake, I like both pictures above but I like the new version the best.

kadillackid, Blues4U and jnaki like this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

@Bandit Billy, I have to agree. The latter looks racy, all business. Former looks like a pretty girl dressed for the prom.
    (actually love 'em both)

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Zactly!
    I'm with you Mike, but I really "cringe" when I see one of those early flat sided tanks sitting out in the open.

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

A picture is worth a 1000 words....

Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Old pictures is fun to se.

That red 34 roadster is very nice in both versions, and I really can’t say whos best appear.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    Bandit Billy likes this.
  11. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I guess most hot rods was having the stock gas tank both just before the war and after.

In the late 40’s say 47-48 the Arduns came out, the QC and magnetos but allot of the aftermarket parts came out on the 50’s.
    My guess the gas tank was ’more’ common to remove on the 50’s.

-That’s to late for my build-up ( or just build a car I like by mix of parts )
    Mix of parts is not what I like do now.

Ex I has nothing against beefed up frame, 5-speeds, full chrome front end, or even a SB Chevy dressed up nice, all new or with older speed parts.

Here is some news.
    Yesterday I picked up a 81A 1938 block/engine and so far it look not cracked.
    As I was into my second cracked 59A block I deceded to sleeve it and go for a set Arduns ( new or old )
    I also found a 38 rear axle ( I do has a 36 axle/bones to )
    My transmission is a LZ 1939 box with a Aburn clutch.
    Wheels is 40 Ford and brakes the same but they might been out 39 ( correct ? )
    Front axle is std 32 and 32 spindles.
    If I use std heads and std axle house centre
    All this make a car appear to be period around 1940-41 and not 1949-50.

-So if doing this and use std gas tank its really no point use a QC or change rear cross and use a A-Ford spring.
    I can keep that parts to a A-roadster or sell it and the money on Ardun heads can be invested later on for a ( roadster/Ardun in early 50’s style ) and now that money can be used for the 5W coupe body that needs $.

Shore, one just can’t compare 2 mayor cool parts as Arduns and a QC to std heads/rear axle banjo centre.

-But car would still be real cool in black, chopped 3.5”, full hood, nicke plated parts, 36 driveshaft for headers, Indy car steering wheel.

-This is just a plan, ideas are welcome.
    I’m in stage find the road and collection parts and Learn me the history.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I wasn't there but I'm thinking people weren't putting in QC's for looks back then.

Just Gary and X38 like this.
  13. 3w Hank

3w Hank

You are problably correct as it was a speedpart but speedparts very fast set a ’trend’ and norm.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
    Bandit Billy likes this.
  14. NOT... Things get VERY business like on the back end of a 32 with no tank, especially when some restraint is involved and the stance is correct, it's race car gesture that celebrates both the diff and rear crossmember by way of light being permitted to highlight the area.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  15. 3w Hank

3w Hank

After hot tank this 38 block I found ’no cracks’ but it was a rust hole on outside ( can be welded ) but it was very rusted inside the water jacks and Ross wanted USD 1.225 less rings on special order pistons.
    So I sold block but got some parts to my 59A block as nice oilpan and a 3 bolts camcover.
    I has had topics up on a prewar pan vs wishbones non splitted and Scintilla magneto set up.
    That block is nice but has one crack from a exhaust.
    But sleeve it, and weld the valves get it to work for Arduns ( even its $ )
    -So I’m ’back’ at late 40’s style.

But the fuel tank issue..
    wideglide74 is correct, its more ’racy’ less ofcourse.
    I think some guys late 40’s did ’remove’ it.
    -Must seen that big tank might be cooler with a oxygen bomber tank... or I like to think so.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  16. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Hank;
    Another possible way out of the "one-tight-time-period-dilema", is to build a very good example of what really happened back then. The cars constantly changed, as new/better speed parts - & of course $$$ - became available. Esp for those chasing records. Old racecars were started, run, & parked for a lot of reasons, then sold,& slightly(or a lot) updated by new owners. So, iffen you were to carefully put together a decent version of a pre-war deuce, you could make a very good backstory-argument for someone buying that car(say, w/a bad mill from sitting - idk, maybe anything from couldn't race anymore due to getting married, building a more-serious racer, to sadly the guy dying in WW2 - it happened!), & updating it w/the Ardun heads + a newer flattie block. & going racing again. Wouldn't be unreasonable to speculate that all the available $$$ went into the mill, esp if the chassis/body/running gear was serviceable.
    Just a thought.
    Marcus...

17. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I will be look over my mock up and see.
    A rollpan its nice but to much street rod.
    This is a hard one !
    I like the tank - but so wasted on a nice rearend.
    One might ask, why get so focus on this ( as do what you like )
    Well I has collected many era correct parts as not really will be seen as rods, clutch, transmission and a std frame etc ( matter of fact most parts is old and that make it complicated.
    Parts that are expensive and not so great to use and need work.
    Thats why I don’t like things done that was not a trend back then.

One thing I thought.
    Say after war, many of this late 30’s style or very early 40’s racy cars hit the sunlight again and the guys came back and industry got allot of new stuff - and say we are at 1949 and a guy installed a QC.
    His mind was to update the car, but he had not that much money but say a new cam/heads and a QC.
    He installed a A-Ford rear cross and spring to clear it up.
    As I got it the QC was popular as they was both street cars & race cars.
    But why did he modify the std tank instead remove it and go to a airplane junkjard and get a custom tank.
    We seen allot in racing industry that came from airplanes and the war era ( still today )
    -I’ll just try to set me in how it was done !

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  18. You need these books.

Don Montgomery was there on the lakes, and a member here until he died.

They have many pictures and a lot of information.
    Reality.
    Get the books!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alchemy, Just Gary and Budget36 like this.
  19. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Thanks, I will look into this !

20. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I’m more into not use the tank, much of that idea its not feel ’racy’ but not to use a rollpan.
    So far the pictures I seen from pre 1950 few or non show a car less the std tank.
    As ”nrgeizard” say, it was a fast evolution after WW2.
    But the 5W look cutted off, but look at Larry Rollers 3W has that has another design than the 5W ( more like the 33/34 )
    That car is way cool, look classic but not totally period so call ’correct’ as pinched frame, 5 speed, SBC, Winters rear end etc but no fuel tank but he designed frame so it comes out at back.
    That feel better than a hidden frame ( cutted ) and a roll pan.
    The chop of that car is awsome.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    54reno likes this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Chasing that "period correct" rabbit can be a tough bunny to catch!
    So many interpretations.

Driver50x and hotcoupe like this.
  22. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Jepp ;- ))
    If anyone see a picture of a 5W less fuel tak pre 1950, post it !

23. Not a 5w but the Doane Spencer roadster is one of the best examples of a 32 without the 32 tank
    793499C4-35C1-4B6B-8B08-547995BEBC52.jpeg

54reno likes this.
  24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Are saying that the 5W and 3W have different tanks? if so that's news tome. if you're not saying that then I'm confused again... LOL

25. 3513556E-E09B-4EDA-9480-EE9B2B9B3AFB.jpeg
    my old boss man’s Spencer inspired roadster

54reno likes this.