Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

You have had it apart sooo many times, ot to be able to do it in your sleep :rolleyes:

Your not waisting any never seize on it, are you :D

Get er done and come up to Rock Falls for the Fall Out Drags this weekend :cool:

2. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Good work sticking with it!
    When I read about your transmission issues I have flashbacks to putting a t5 in my car. It turns out one year only had a slightly longer bearing retainer and used a matching bellhousing that was slightly deeper. I had the wrong bellhousing so the sleeve on the bearing retainer was contacting the clutch and holding the disk against the flywheel all the time.
    I chased what I, several mechanics and two transmission shops thought was a problem with the slave cylinder, pedal or fork. It was along time before I found and solved the real problem.
    10 years later it’s still working, so in 10 years you can look back on your transmission woes as just a bad memory lol

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and Peanut 1959 like this.
  3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

@AldeanFan,
    I hope you can document the T5 issues and post it in one of the T5 threads. It might save someone else a bunch of headaches.

4. SS327

SS327

Not a T5 transmission. It’s a 6 gear.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

AldeanFan was talking about a 5spd he had issues with.

chryslerfan55 and Deuced Up! like this.
  6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20220917_202550.jpg

Watching vintage tractors pull tonight. Should be drag racing, waiting on parts.
    I have to be careful around this stuff, the last thing I need is another hobby! LMAO.

Actually might be more my speed! Lol

7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am a pretty big fan of those Oliver's as is it!

Sancho, AndersF, Nostrebor and 4 others like this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I know a guy ;)

Deuced Up! and Sancho like this.
  9. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I have a 1965 Oliver 1850 but it has a 360 Amc engine with a 400 turbo and it will run way faster than you want to drive it though it is the perfect fork lift I can lift up a entire car with it my dad built it many years ago when he ran the White, Oliver, and Minneapolis moline dealer

10. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Let's not go down that rabbit hole. I have a ford 2n with a rod knock and a extra 351 Clevland. My horse's don't need hay that fast! lol Larry

SS327, chryslerfan55 and Deuced Up! like this.
  11. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I missed the steam show this year. The pulls are always a good time. Having dabbled in that world a bit, I can attest it is just as big of a rabbit hole as the one we normally talk about.

Deuced Up!, Sancho and Thor1 like this.
  12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20220918_111432.jpg
    Just about ready to "floor" test the throw out etc. And slap her back in. Both rear header bolt holes were stripped out. Probably from taking the stupid headers off 100 times. Lol.

Pretty thin wall there so no room for helicoil. Just drilled it out and tapped it 7/16.

13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last weekend to get this thing back together and just like always show up at an event with no test n tune. Lol

Par for the course with this thing. I have noticed a pattern emerging. Wheels up, Wheels off, engine out...Wheels up. Wheels off, engine out...Wheels up, Wheels off, engine out...lmao!

Hot Rof Reunion at Mokan is Sunday October 2.

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

We are talking about driving down for that event.

Tickety Boo likes this.
  15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MOKAN or pulling the wheels off...? Lol

SS327, chryslerfan55, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What ever is needed brother. ;)

Deuced Up!, Thor1 and Tickety Boo like this.
  17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

For some reason I was thinking a 3/8-16 Heli coil would not be than a 7/16-14 but it is by about.007 on a side. Regardless you a brave boy! What you gonna use for a bolt?

Deuced Up! and Thor1 like this.
  18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20221008_061353.jpg
    Now isn't that sweet? I had not been in the shop for a couple of days but stuck my head in yesterday to find this. Dad must have been doing something and covered the still, half put back together engine bay. Looks like he tucked the little car in for a nap.

It's true what they say about race cars you know. They are the sweetest, nicest little things on the planet...when they are asleep! LMAO!

19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So just a quick update we had some issues unrelated to the car that kept us from the working on it the week and weekend before the Hot Rod Reunion at MOKAN.

To have made the show it would have been a mad week night thrash then roll out there with no test hits etc, if we made it at all. I just didn't have it in me. So we settled in to just taking our time.

A couple of things, I did end up chancing a bit larger hole for the exhaust bolt issues and got a good helicoil fit in both holes.

We also bench tested the system again to have a look see here is the throw out video:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EpXoTN_15TYfeature=share&utm_source=EJGixIgBCJiu2KjB4oSJEQ

AND just for you Seb (lol) a view through the starter acess hole of the actual release. Good idea by the way.

At this point the motor is all back in and we are ready to start reassembling the parts and pieces. But the tough job is done.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  20. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully we will find some time this week and weekend to get the Cobra back together. We are planning one last run with it after Carl goes to Sunday afternoon Test and Tune at MOKAN. I have to say though I have been a bit distracted.

Saturday we ventured a few miles into Kansas and snagged this little beauty for the Model A coupe that is on the back burner.
    image000003.jpg

image000004.jpg
    It came out of a fellow HAMBers coupe and is pretty much ready to drop in and go. It has an exhaust valve stuck open at the movement but it came with a new set of stainless valves and even an Isky high performance cam (or at least as high performance as one can expect from a flatty). LOL

It is running Edmond heads, Fenton intake and Fenton headers. It is already adapted to a C5 trans and even came with a new radiator that will fit my '32 Shell like a glove. It also has a set of absolutely killer coated custom exhaust. I have to tell you, it was pretty hard putting all this stuff to sleep yesterday. I can not wait to tear into this thing.

To be honest, this morning it all got the better of me, and I ordered a pinched '32 chassis for it (just a surround chassis) so about all I have left to gather is a front end. We have a V8 Winter's Quick change for out back and killer set of '36 Ford Kelsey Hayes Wires on new Coker tires.

Jackson said talking about Flatheads that I will never spend so money to go so slow! LOL
    I said well apparently you have not been reading the Cobra thread very closely! LMAO

Hopefully we will finally remedy that in a couple of weeks!

21. hoop

hoop

Great score.

Deuced Up! likes this.
  22. We went to England for the Revival to watch the cobras race. Thought I’d better check in on yours! B2E0CE76-A03F-4907-95A1-EBD127820147.jpeg E84BE0B1-8BEF-4E46-BA64-0FAB1347AF4C.jpeg

23. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Ok Randall race season is about wrapped up. Get on the Model A and have it ready for spring! Who did you end up getting the Frame from?

24. You’ve got it bad don’t ya?

Deuced Up! and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Put the flathead in the Cobra. Dare to be different.

Finn Jensen and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Dare to be dependable. :p

27. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

It would be faster if he did lmao

28. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Even the original Dragon Snake had instructions on where to Tow on the back roll pan :D:D:D Ford Trailer Reg..jpg

29. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Randall, it looks like somebody ^^^^ wants you to bring the Cobra up to Wisconsin and spank his Chevy and make him cry!! lol Larry

Deuced Up!, Tickety Boo and saltflats like this.
  30. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hot Shoe Hot Rods. He builds a nice pinched unit. I bought one of his first chassis over a decade ago. And he is close, 5 miles away so...

chryslerfan55 likes this.