Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spray chrome

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldiron 440, Oct 22, 2022.

1. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Has anyone tried this or something like it?
    I think it would be great for those who have chrome plastic gage cluster trim. The chrome is gone on my Fairlane cluster.

2. lowrd

lowrd

I did not list them, but there are several posts on this.

X38 likes this.
  3. Expensive, fragile, and still won't look like chrome. It photographs better than it looks.

If you can find a '62 Fairlane, all the dash trim on those is chrome die-cast, no plastic. You can have the plastic cluster re-plated by the way, there's guys that do it.

alanp561, CME1 and Just Gary like this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am proud of the HAMB, it has been like a year since someone asked about chrome in a can. We should have one of those signs like they do at the factory; "It has been 01 days since a spray chrome thread" :cool:

Chrome wasn't built in a spray:D

alanp561, brando1956, 1pickup and 5 others like this.

5. Ha ha ..cute.

alanp561 likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Must have made it's annual appearance on FB again. As Steve said, there are certain things such as die cast or maybe chromed plastic interior trim where it might work but it isn't going to look right on your bumper or grill.

7. Jivin Jer tried it on some garnish moldings for his chopped Ford coupe. It didn't survive installation....

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Jay Leno did a Video on this a while back, but now if you Google it the video has been shut down, guess it's not all that good after all.

Just Gary likes this.
  9. Whenever this comes up it reminds me of the medieval alchemists search for a formula to turn base metal into gold. They didn't have any luck either...

TagMan, caseywheels and Bandit Billy like this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

We call spray chrome "Missouri Chrome".

11. 2Blue2

2Blue2

My can of spray chrome sits next to my can of spray engine rebuild...

hrm2k, theHIGHLANDER, 56don and 3 others like this.
  12. Jivin Jer is one member who tried it for his window garnish and that experiment delivered a fail in a fairly short time. He has posted about it.

hrm2k likes this.
  13. swifty

swifty

I tried it on my 32 frame but didn't realize that Rain-x eats paint! Now 10 years later the undercoat is showing in patches and the chrome that is left looks like aluminum. I have done 36k miles and being a country car that means lots of stones and bugs. As everyone says there is no substitute for chrome which is what I've used on my current build.

hrm2k likes this.
  14. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

That stuff is junk. Period. 'nuff said

15. i7083

i7083
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey now!!
    I resemble that remark...

Corn Fed and alchemy like this.
  16. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If it actually worked like it's alleged to, they could get $100 a can for it, easily.

oliver westlund likes this.
  17. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

The stuff ive seen that works is like 150 for the setup, paint it black first as a basecoat then the chrome junk it does some weird reaction and becomes mirror like...still paint and wont last but what does? I dont think theres a chrome shop in oregon, thats why i was researching other methods

18. doug3968

doug3968

ammoniacol silver nitrate comes in contact with something like formaldehyde in water and pure silver("chrome") appears. All are in water solutions. Makes real pretty mirrors. Great science class demo. Silver tarnishes and chrome look goes away.

19. Turns gray if you spray clear on it.

20. CME1

CME1

I sprayed the grille on my 1951 Ford Pick-Up. I don't remember the brand. It looked good for a while, but then turned to an aluminum color. Image (15).jpg