Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Winter storage

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Spike788, Sep 11, 2022.

1. i prefer fluorescent lights when working because of the warmth, but i will only use them in the correct devices, modern LED ones probably wont like the heat of an older style bulb. plus, its not hard to remove and reinstall a new device meant for fluorescent lights. but for general lighting, led is king.

2. we used to until we started feeding strays...

seb fontana likes this.
  3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

A couple years ago I replaced all my fluorescent lights with 4 ft. LED strip lights. Way better lighting at much lower cost. Plus no maintenance or lamp replacements for longer than I'll live to see. As a retired electrician, I spent a lot of time changing customers over to LED lights prior to my retirement. And I did not want to install something I hadn't researched well before doing so. So I did a lot of checking around, and mostly with places that deal with people's eyes, and research they did on LED's specifically.
    There is little truth to the myth that LED's are bad for your eyes. People do complain about LED's in office situations, but that's normally because the light levels are so much higher than what they had before with fluorescent lighting. I found in most cases we had to reduce the number of LED lamps when switching over in offices, or suffer the complaints of workers saying it hurt their eyes. The opposite was true when we did commercial or industrial facilities, with those workers loving the increased lighting levels.
    Research shows that LED's that are bright white on the index can have a bluish tint to them, and it has been proven that blue light can be bad for the retina. So when switching to LED's you need to select the ones that are warmer color if bright white LED's hurt your eyes. In my shop I prefer the brighter lights, and they don't make my eyes sore.

seb fontana, jimmy six and Elcohaulic like this.
  4. Mmm, I made a light hearted comment. It wasn't meant to cause an international incident! :eek:

BTW, I don't know where you got your 'facts' from but there are plenty of other places than those nominated where you can have snow, although nowhere is what you would call densely populated.

5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My question was lighthearted as well with Google stating about 4” of snow average in Australia per year.

Not much snow for rodents to put up with.

I wish we only averaged 4”of snow per year.

We call 4” of snow here a dusting…. :D

6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Oh I agree. I put them in all the time. I try to buy lights in the 3000 K range. The only issue with the LEDs are now what do we do with all the 277 stuff LOL...

The deal with the 150 and 200 watt Incandescent bulbs is they also heat the space.

7. NoelC

NoelC

Well, if no one else is going to raise their arm to ask why not I'm going to.
    If for no other reason than after 40 years and two licenses later, it should be an easy one to answer.

indyjps likes this.
  8. ken bogren

ken bogren

OLD GAS

For various reasons I haven't driven my Falcon much the last couple of years. The last time I filled the tank was in the fall of 2020, so whatever gas is left in the tank (the gauge doesn't work well) is 2 years old. And I don't expect to drive the car anymore this year.

I have always added Stabil when I filled the tank.

So, what to do?

1: Just take a chance the gas will be good in the spring.

2: Add as much fresh gas and Stabil as possible and hope it dilutes the old gas enough so it doesn't foul the system up by spring.

3: Siphon the old gas out and take it to the county recycling center and the refill the tank with fresh gas and Stabil.

I'm leaning towards #3.

Any thoughts?

9. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I don't believe he's identified what part of the country he lives in, but unless it's a particularly mild climate a few hundred watts isn't going to make much difference in an uninsulated garage.

10. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

If you're going to drain the tank anyway, option #4 may be to gradually use it up in your daily driver. Unless it's gone really stale, mixing a couple gallons of the old stuff in with each fresh full tank shouldn't hurt anything.

Maicobreako and ken bogren like this.
  11. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I vote #3, and run it till it’s fully warmed up. I have found stabil to not be as effective as it used to be. My old truck I will drive in the winter, on nice days, every thing else, full tank of premium.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    ken bogren likes this.
  12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I use Star Tron you can get it at Walmart and most stores that sells two cycle parts. The people at the lawn mower shop recommend it over STA-BIL

ken bogren likes this.
  13. I don’t start mine for four or five months…I’m not going to try to start them at minus 40

ken bogren likes this.
  14. ken bogren

ken bogren

I don't really know how to tell if it's gone really bad or not.
    I've seen people say you can tell by the smell, but I have a pretty poor sense of smell.

That said the car started fine the other day and ran fairly well. I let it run while I washed it but when I put it back in the garage and shut it off my wife asked what "that weird gassy smell was".

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

And be sure to put high speed bearings in your meter... 200 W bulbs? Holy High Light Bills, Batman. :rolleyes:

16. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

It's very inefficient. I'll assume he is using ceiling mounted light fixtures. Heat rises, even in a small space like a one car a garage you would need to use many lamps to make any beneficial gain in heat to the rest of the room.
    Most lamp holders are not rated for 200 watts. Using 200watt lamps in a 100 watt lamp holder, is a fire hazard. I have repaired countless number of wires were the insulation is old and brittle or fallen off from wires above incandescent lamp holders.
    There are much safer and more efficient ways to heat your garage then light bulbs.

I can tell you where it does work. When the temperature drops below 10 degrees F, my snowmobile stored in an outside trailer will not pull over. I place a lead light in the engine compartment for a half an hour. There is enough heat to warm things up and I'm able to start it. This is a small space so it works.

17. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

A typical porcelain lamp holder like you often find in a garage is typically rated for 660 watts, but I agree the rating of the specific lamp holder needs to be confirmed and in any case it's not a very good solution.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hell, some of my best friends are snakes!

swifty likes this.
  19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

On a whim and starting to figure more light would make seeing easier, especially when machining I replaced my 4 ft dual shop lights with led. Gesus what a difference! Replaced everything else with led, both garages. So much more light a drop light is seldom needed under the cars when they are up on the lift. Since when I wired the original lights I put in a lot of switches segregating lights to areas so I can just use what I need. Around my machines I added outdoor leds, can't remember the watts but I got no excuse for not seeing now!.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  20. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've noticed there is quite a difference in what people think should be done as the responder's home moved towards colder winter weather.

I've also noticed that many don't believe cars have ever experienced cold weather, or have been left to sit for long periods of time before.

If you drive your car 5,000 or more miles a year, sitting for 3-4 months probably isn't going to hurt it much. If you only drive it 1,000 miles every few years, all the time it sits without use is detrimental to its well being, the damage isn't limited to just the winter months.

Drive your cars more, sitting a few months over the winter won't be a big deal.

'28phonebooth and Wanderlust like this.
  21. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Santa is getting his Hot Rod ready and getting freah anit-freeze as we speak....better be nice !!!

22. I don't "winterize" mine as I try to take it out at least once a month, weather permitting. Gotta keep it "at the ready", cuz you can't plan ahead on the weather here in the rainy Northwet! The occasional ride makes the winter go better!