Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Lincoln 337 c.i. "FAThead"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 20, 2022.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The Lincoln 337 c.i. "FAThead"

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Great Story. I didn’t realize they weighed 800 lbs. and I thought Hemis were heavy. I never new they existed until I saw this in a coupe at TROG a few years back. I had to ask the same question “what the hell is that” and the owner gave me a quick lesson. And now I want one 5F683DEA-5174-4F10-8906-F40E4DA9FC31.png

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorta like a down tempo regular flatty, but with a bit more bass...?

Now it begs the question supported by "no replacement for displacemnt" of how big can a regular ol flatty go and still live? I think I've seen 286 (?) bored and stroked. Is that it? I'd also think that even though the no replacement theory above is in play that big heavy mass floppin around in that block likely stops aspirations of a high zoot 337. Enter the Caddy and Olds OHVs, then of course hotrodding's most hated. Still, kool stuff...

aussie57wag and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Several years ago a customer brought me one of those motors backed up by a 3 speed OD trans to put in a 32 chassis he was wanting for a deuce 3 window he had found in Mexico. I fabbed the chassis and when we went to lift the motor into the chassis for a fitting we had to hang a couple 125 lb tractor weights on the lift for balance. I got the job done and waved goodby and he finished the car. About a year ago the chassis showed up here on the HAMB with the motor included. It was yellow and the motor had the rare finned heads and a multi carb intake. I've been curious as to where it ended up?

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the advent of stroker cranks for Scat and the like, 304's are about the limit these days, although I have heard of bigger ones; ya gotta be brave, though.

6. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

It was a big motor for a big car!!
    P1030288.JPG

Spooky, Outback, SEAAIRE354 and 4 others like this.
  7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In other news, when the failure rate of the 12s 48 and older was getting common postwar the 337 was one of the recommended fixes along with the Caddy or Olds OHVs. Some even used early Hemis later on but a Caddy converted Zephyr or Continental isn't unusual.

rod1 likes this.
  8. And do you still have the Lincoln?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Scrapped a few of those. Nobody wanted them.

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

That's how George Hurst made money before floor shift conversions. All of the dead V12 Lincolns were his inspiration for making mounts for engine swaps.

11. Bruce Wanta's "Reimangined" 1934 Edsel Model 40 Speedster ... built by @hhrTroy Ladd & his team (including @cretin) at Hollywood Hot Rods:

2022 AMBR Contender - Bruce Wanta's 1934 Edsel Speedster.jpg

... features a 337ci Lincoln Flathead (with AUSTIN heads) ... built by H&H Flatheads {Mike @Capitan Insano Herman}:

337ci Lincoln Flathead in Bruce Wanta's Edsel Speedster.jpg

12. Is this it?:

337ci Lincoln Flathead in Deuce chassis (1).jpg
    337ci Lincoln Flathead in Deuce chassis (2).jpg
    Deuce chassis with 337ci Lincoln Flathead.jpg

13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Hemi 32 That's the one, good to see it again.

14. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

My roadster is getting one! I think theyre neat

Spooky, Hemi Joel and Speed Gems like this.
  15. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

I'm wondering why someone would remove the chassis and sell it. Why they didn't just drive it and have some fun.

16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

The buyer of the yellow Lincoln powered 3 window contacted me to see if I had any interest in the chassis. Apparently he bought the car just for the sheet metal? The original builder called me once to tell me how much he enjoyed the car and how much conversation the motor caused.

Outback, Tim and seb fontana like this.
  17. Seems to be a thing for some people. There was that build on here where a guy bought a real nice restored deuce coupe and only used the body.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  18. denny55chevy

denny55chevy

19. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

It's ironic that both the Lincoin V8 and the V12 both come out to 337 C.I. Does anybody by chance know the bore and stroke of each engine? I would think the V8 had bigger cylinders since there's four less of them.

Outback likes this.
  20. The 'Lincoln Zephyr V12 was a 75° V 12 cylinder engine introduced by Ford Motor Company's Lincoln division for the Lincoln-Zephyr in 1932. Originally displacing 267 cubic inches, it was also manufactured in 292 cubic inches and 306 cubic inches displacements between 1940 and 1948 ... but never in 337 cubic inches.

The largest displacement version (at 337 cubic inches) of the production Ford flathead V8 engine was designed for large truck service. When Lincoln could not produce the V12 engine it wanted for the 1949 model year, the 337 engine was adapted for passenger car use. The 337 features a 3.5 inch bore and a 4.375 inch stroke. It was introduced in the 1948 two and a half ton and three ton Ford trucks and the 1949 Lincoln passenger cars. It was produced through the 1951 model year.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  21. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Thanks for the post I always thought the V12 was a 337.:rolleyes:

HEMI32 likes this.
  22. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I remember the first time i saw an av8 with a cad flatty, you could see from 60 yds away that it wasnt your average flathead. Then when i discovered the 337 i knew that was what i wanted to run in my roadster, too wicked

Hemi Joel likes this.
  23. To be honest, so did I ... but then I Googled it ... and a (sometimes reliable) website told me otherwise :oops:

Speed Gems likes this.
  24. @2muchstuff owned that car for a while. I know he took it to the Hot Rod Hillclimb one year. Maybe 2014? Such a neat car!