Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. I'm friends with one of those guys that left fast. He was the main tech guy there for nine years. He was the guy that tuned my car on the chassis dyno. He went out on his own tuning cars for a living. He couldn't tell me how to do it either. As far as I know it's never been done trying to make it work with two ignition systems that are completely different. That doesn't mean I won't still try.

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and Calkins like this.
  2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I dealt with Greg & Dave,

3. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Turning off the fuel is as easy as interrupting the relay.
    The efi box doesn’t need to turn off.
    Im local and would be glad to help. Have done many efi conversions.

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and racer-x like this.
  4. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

You would have to interrupt the ignition as well then it could record the data the bad part about the efi logger is you need the laptop connected to make it. Happen vs a data logger it just needs to be turned on and it will capture the data as violent as the nitro is I’m not sure the laptop would last long being mounted in the car under a run it would probly shake it apart lol

mad mikey, racer-x and Calkins like this.
  5. My options are very limited and would have to be very creative to put the lap top in the car. I have to be able to reach it belted in. Sight is limited with a helmet on. Feel is almost non existent with five layer gloves on.

6. Trends pm me on your ideas.

7. Budget36

Budget36

Hey Brian, not knowing a thing about your setup, but could a data logger be put in the car, transmitted wireless to a device on the track?

8. Probably not, due to RF interference from the magneto.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  9. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

With FAST, I don not recall that able to Datta log out side of Engine parameters? But been 4 ish years using FAST. I would think need data logging
    Trains , shock , Gs , drive shat , tire temp & other information to Capture to tune / work out whats going on from burn out threw full run,

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. All I can say is I'm working on it. I haven't given up on the fast system.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You are anything but a quitter Brian!

chryslerfan55 and racer-x like this.
  12. The cars back together with three new pistons and rings. After I put the head on I check the leak before I put the rest together. It all checked our so it's now back together. My crew man came down with covid. My other two helpers can make it Sunday so we will go out then. Temps in the 70s Saturday and Sunday will be perfect. It could all come together. I'm so glad I didn't through in the towel and call it quits.

13. The season is for sure over now. I'm out of nitro; pistons; oil and plugs. The temp Sunday was a very rare 75 for this time of year. The latest four link setting with 148 percent anti squat was the way to go. The shocks front and rear are right on the money.
    I did miss on the stator. It has too much slip now. I hit the shift lift at 1000 feet. It's never done that before. It's set to turn on at 7400 rpm. The tattle tail said I hit 8000 rpm. With only 168 mph the stator too loose. No big deal. With the rear suspension working as it should I can tighten the converter back up to get the mph up.
    Other than pinching rings during the two cackle events I have not broken a single part on the car this year. Not counting the defective flex plate. I put more passes on the car this year than any other year. So it got put away in one piece. A far cry from the previous year. Now that I have had two days off its time to get ready for next year.

14. Screenshot_20221026-104145_Messages.jpg Me and Andy Bohl working on the car. Andy is a alcohol funny car driver. He has won several national events including the US Nationals. He lives close by. We help each other out. View attachment 5553735

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  15. Good progress Brian, keep on rockin towards next season!

racer-x likes this.
  16. You may want to edit out the phone number in your last post ?

racer-x likes this.
  17. Sounds like a successful season! Thanks for posting in such detail!

racer-x and mad mikey like this.
  18. Now that I have had a two day vacation from the car I'm up early to bring the car back to Chassis Servive in Illinois. I need a few things done before the weather turns. I don't want the trailer driven in the salt. I also want it done before the spring rush.
    I have a new oil cooler with a shroud and fan that won't fit with the current set up. The puke tank is in the way. This new cooler should really help on hot days pulling the trailer. It has a bigger fan and motor to drive it. It's able to remove a larger amount of heat from the engine. The cooling has always been on the edge of adequate. The extra heat makes the block and heads grow. Bearing clearances increase. This drops the oil pressure down to 15lbs at idle. It takes over 30 lbs to get oil to the intake rockers. At a stop light this can cause burned push rods. This is all in preparation for more street miles next year. I might do a few drag and drive events. The new cooler should give me some extra insurance. This one part is a key component that makes the car work on the street. Now it will be even better.

19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Better man than me Brian. Long time no talk...lol. We finally just ripped the FAST computer and it's harness out of the Cobra and tossed it right in the garbage can. Best move of the build.

427 sleeper and squirrel like this.
  20. good to hear from you. it has been a long time. i put the fast in years ago. i have had no problems with it. if i was to start from new i would go with a holley. i have found that getting the right tuner is key. most seem to specialize in one or two systems. also every guy with a lap top thinks he is a tuner. tuning the car on a chassis dyno is the way to go. i thought my car was running good until the tuner got ahold of it. he found several hundred horsepower.

21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Understood. We ended with Holley. Completely different car now. But nothing compared to the green monster. Lol

mad mikey and racer-x like this.
  22. It's back from the Chassis Sercice shop. The cooler is mounted. It took alot to get it in there. It's kind if busy up front. New mounts for the puke tank needed to be made. The tank is removable. It's held in place with hose clamps. Believe it or not top fuel cars hold the engine in the frame the same way. While the car was there patches were put over the two dents in the frame from the crash a few years ago. I liked to think of them as battle scars. 20221030_115702.jpg 20221030_115648.jpg 20221030_115616.jpg 20221030_115606.jpg 20221030_115547.jpg

bchctybob, Tim, wicarnut and 13 others like this.
  23. The Mighty Chrysler Hemi !

Mopar , Mopar , Mopar,,,,,,LoL .
    Sorry man,,,,I just love saying that !
    Heh,Heh,Heh .

Tommy

racer-x likes this.
  24. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

What FAST system did you have?
    I have same ECU Brian uses,
    For 2-3 years with No issues,
    (Many miles Drag & Street) then one day things went haywire, Lost tunner I was using, Tech @fast blaming engine ,Unable to get back to where it was,
    Not to street able with carbs , Switched to Holley No issues, Not a engine problem.
    I want to know what happen with the Fast !
    Ecu checked out good twice & other components, will not sell knowing there hiccups

25. 20221106_201547.jpg 20221106_201557.jpg 20221106_201623.jpg Let the rebuilding for 2023 begin. New sleeves and pistons have been ordered. They should arrive in January. The old Pro Torque converter is going back in. It worked better at 60 feet and the top end.
    The blower was sent back to Littlefield. The oil pump went back to missile. The heads will be gone through soon. Everything will get polished up and cleaned up.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    bchctybob, wicarnut, Gotgas and 14 others like this.
  26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I’ve been “patiently waiting” every season since the front end earned her battle stripes(scars) and you got the hookup on the front axle straight from the maker themselves. The front had much more pizazz, not that The Green Nitrolishi needs anymore, with the drilled axle. Think of all the surface tension created even after a full application of Flitz when the filthy depleted oxygen we have has to conform under immense 85% persuaded pressure around it. Giant winking emoji!

27. It's that kind of night. Cold snowy weather here in se Wisconsin. I bring everything into the house that needs polishing. Next up the zoomies. 20221115_180147.jpg

28. wicarnut

wicarnut

I have stated this before, I Admire your passion and dedication. I'm Curious, do you get any sponsor $$$ help for your deal as playing at your level is pricey fun. I had a Tool & Die shop for a sponsor, I know for a fact, a long way from Howard Hughes Tool. Many moons ago I played with Midget racing and then wing Sprint cars 70-91 and I remember in the beginning, we were a low buck deal, not so much as time went on and remember some statements from back in the day from top/ winning competitors, $100 per minute and 1 hour maintenance per minute of race time, at my end of my racing fun 1991, I wished it was that cheap, the time was not that bad after years of experience as long as you rolled back on the trailer in one piece. You race in seconds and not many at your level, the price is beyond my imagination, BUT the "Memories Priceless" applies to any racing hobby/passion and life in general IMO. Keep on Keeping On my friend. I've got to visit you some summer day as I have a daughter in Mt Pleasant. Thanks for your posts, appreciated by many I'm sure.

29. I get an occasional deal on some parts or service but no sponsors. I pay for the car stuff by working overtime at the hospital during the off season. It's alot of overtime. As long as I'm having fun I will continue doing it. Mt. Pleasant is the next town down the road. Stop by for a visit in late June when you can hit the out of Site drags at union Grove. It's a great time.
    Stick around for some brats; fried cheesecurds; coleslaw; and beer.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  30. Ah yes, Wisconsin weather, almost 80 a week ago and won't hit 30 degree's this coming weekend. A sense of humor is required and a heated garage.