Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to free up an old flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SMier, Mar 22, 2008.

1. I have mine soaking in diesel/kerosene that I poured in the combustion chambers with a funnel, then I reinstalled the plugs and filled it up to the base of the carb. Brandon thanks for the photos of the cyl head puller, good idea...

2. zombo27

zombo27
    from E-town Ky.

The rings are probably froze to the cylinder walls, crack in the water jacket maybe. Try diesel fuel, and alot of patience.

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

14 year old post but still relevant. Bout 4 yrs ago I mixed up some acetone and trans fluid in about a 50/50 ratio. Put it in 4 engines and all are still stuck!!

SS327 likes this.
  4. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I just pulled the plugs on a Flathead in a IH KB5. Filled with with MMO. It wasn't stuck but still wanted to soak it. Rotated and refilled with MMO. Time for plugs and wires and Bat-tree.

5. Slopok

Slopok

I could've been a Doctor but I didn't have any Patience! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
  6. 62rebel

62rebel

ooooh.... I HAD one that turned fine three or four times and then socked up tighter than Dick's hat band. NOTHING would free it off; I disassembled it and never could get the stuck piston out. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.....

7. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Probably work better if the vinegar was heated....

8. railcarmover

railcarmover

Flathead V8 an expensive engine to build, costs even more if your stupid.. tear it down completely and find out why it was stuck.