Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 Chevy frame for a Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dmarv, Sep 9, 2006.

1. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

I'm looking at a 1929 Chevy frame and a 1929 Essex coupe body. I want to use Ford running gear (flathead V8, quick change rear, front axle, F1 steering, etc). Does the Chevy frame work well for this combination? I can't seem to find and Essex frame and can get a hell of a deal on the Chevy frame (with VIN number) . I've considered a 32 or Model A frame (original or custom built) but the Chevy frame would only be $200.00. What do you think?

2. DrJ

DrJ

Guys usta make track cars with "three springs" usually a Ford transverse rear spring and running gear and retain the Chevy parallel leaf springs in front.

3. plan9

plan9

it would make a neat foundation, something you dont see everyday... the frame will still require modifications to accept ford suspension, but nothing too crazy... as an aside, arent the early chevy frames heavier and more bulky than model A? this may be an advantage though... overall, once finished, you may be into the chassis for as much as a repop '32 or modified model A chassis.

also... a descent model A frame shouldnt be much more than a few hundred bucks.... or perhaps have someone build one for you - as an example Killer (on the hamb) can whip something up for around $900.00... not a bad price.

4. 33 Dodge

33 Dodge

Parallel leafs up front will look good. Dont know if thats your plan. I'd get the frame if I were you. They are really stout frames as they are.

5. DrJ

DrJ

Serial number matching title is a plus.
    Put some/any wheels on it and transfer and register it.
    THEN modify it.

6. Dahm brother's T roadster used a '29 Chev chassis + the '29 Chev chassis is a similar design to the Essex (got a nice rear kick up too :D ).
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. movingviolation

movingviolation

The chev chassis is a more rigid than ford....IMOP. I have a 29 chev and a currently have a 29 ford chassis being fab'd. The front spring set up on chev is nice.....i think i;d leave it that way.

Im sure the essex will do just fine on it.

8. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I boxed a 33 chevy for a customer once. It wasn't a bad deal, but the rivet construction was kinda wobbly before we welded up all the joints and added a couple of crossmembers. I like the way they look better than my model A.

9. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll use the Chevy frame. I have a customer that will give me a 1927 Chevrolet frame and front end for free! The frame has a little rust through in one area, about 1"x2", is this a problem or can it be repaired? I'm thinking of using the Chevy front suspension, I think it will give a better ride than the Ford single spring. To lower the front, can I use lowering blocks on the axle? I only want to drop it a couple of inches. For the rear end, can't I maintain the Chevy rear springs by welding brackets on the axle housings?

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I have a '27 Chevy frame laying in my yard.
    If you need any 'sections' from it to repair yours, your welcome to it.
    I had a '30 Chevy a few years ago too. Frame was similar to an 'A', but better looking. IMO