Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***October 2022 Banger Meet Thread - Happy All Hallows Eve**

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Oct 1, 2022.

1. IMHO, it was too much potential HP from a too small crank journal
    Please understand this is not CDO’s broken crank
    This from a jubilant delinquent elder but still pushing close to 200 hp
    I feel the “A” journal is too small and then drilling hole thru it reduces the area of material causing stress risers
    The solution as I see it to put a “C” crank in the “A” block without compromising the crank (not grinding to “A” dimension)

john

Old Dawg, G Baese, Outback and 3 others like this.
  2. GuyW

GuyW

Aren't the SCAT cranks cast and not forged?

3. Folklore, mainly,
    Those SCAT cranks are forged off shore and finished here.
    Of course you can find custom SCAT billet cranks too, not broken usually.
    There have in the past been cast cranks, Dan Eubanks had a "C" cast crank and Bruce Johnson had cast steel cranks.
    I am sure that more have been made over the years, you eventually find them if you stay playing with this stuff.

j

Old Dawg, Crazydaddyo and GuyW like this.
  4. walls

walls

Found a set of wheels plus two heads and an intake at Hershey.
    Didn’t find the Winfield carb I was looking for, but got a couple contacts who might have some stashed away at home.
    5170B96C-4C1C-4B69-87BF-780B34D3BDC3.jpeg
    431368CF-F126-47B0-8546-69717F2C21A9.jpeg

v8flat44, Dustyp489, Old Dawg and 7 others like this.
  5. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I'd like to have that Brierleey Head...Nice Score!

6. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Outback likes this.
  7. Engage rumor mill;
    Jim is starting another batch of heads

john

Old Dawg likes this.
  8. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

A69EEB34-7A9D-42B5-B65E-FAFBFE50EBE1.jpeg
    He told me he was looking for someone to make them. I already have the Cyclone so I don’t know how much I need to have a Brierley.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  9. Oh you need one, or two more...
    The tooling is at the foundry, it will be awhile.

J

Dustyp489, Old Dawg and Crazydaddyo like this.
  10. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I’m sure I won’t pass one up. I hope to build a second engine but I first need to pull the engine in my truck and get going on the first one

11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Probably not as good as a cam ground for a flathead.

12. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

What do you recommend?

13. I like my Brierley head. Needs far less advance than the Thomas or Winfield I previously ran. Very torquey and economical too! Tried to get another but Jim said Edelbrocks had returned his patterns as they weren't doing any more sub-contract work so he was trying to find another foundry. Good news if he has. Bad news is the sterling exchange rate is so bad I can't afford it...

Outback, johnneilson and Crazydaddyo like this.
  14. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Depending on what mods you have done on your engine, the following 3 cams work very well.
    I am running the 1R in my coupe with stock valves, 6:1 head, single Stromberg 48 carb, and a header.
    I'm running the M-28T in my T RPU with a B engine that has 1.7" intake valves, 7.5:1 head, 2 Stromberg 97 carbs, FSI ignition, lakes type header.
    I have never used the 1A cam.
    I like the M-28T because it breaths better after 2500 rpm. I think in this engine that the 1A would be better.

DIRECT ACTING (FLATHEAD) CAMS

No. / duration / lift / int. / exh. (Clearances)
    1R / 266 / .350 / 010 / 012 180* @ .050”4 Winfield grind

M-28 T / 280 / .355/ 012 / 014 214* @ .050” Fair Idle good street

1A / 285 / .362 / 010 / 012 190* @ .050” Winfield grind - good

Old Dawg likes this.
  15. Yes,
    since Edelbrock was sold the sub contractor work stopped.
    I think he visited the foundry making OHV and girdle castings, will get update tomorrow.

I can relate, you have Sterline exchange rate, we have gas, but I think is comparable to you now.

John

Old Dawg and Outback like this.
  16. No tinkering right now, but I did get my new run of finned cam covers back from the foundry! 979951AA-7FF9-4323-82B8-D5C1A3F8F301.png

Carter, guitarguy, Lil'Alb and 9 others like this.
  17. Checking in, it’s been a while. All these photos of heads reminded me of a decision I have to make on a motor that I need to build. The stock model A pistons extend above the block, does anyone know the logic/engineering reason Henry did this? Was this to try and protect the head gasket from the full force of the ignition of the mixture? On a new build would it be better to have the pistons flush with the block? Would this create problems with swapping heads, because of loss of compression. I know some heads have no relief for the pistons ( Brierley heads ). Thanks in advance for any advice/answers

18. I have a relief cut in all my heads, including the Brierley.

19. walls

walls

Just for reference. I believe neither of these have been modified and are both new 42B67116-B71D-4915-A91C-08AD46D35C2E.jpeg 79B87286-F0A5-4A6C-94F3-98EFF751DCA4.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    guitarguy, Lil'Alb, Dustyp489 and 3 others like this.
  20. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Tearing apart my free stuck banger.... .110 over motor, seems ok other than being stuck... pulled the front main, gritty nasty, so just tinkering with it to see if the rest are that bad, It now rocks 1/2" so were down to stuck pistons... The soaking is continuing...

banger1.jpg
    My 2 bangers, the red one is out of the 30, blown bearings.

banger2.jpg

The A coupe, havent driven it much other than a few weeks ago to a AACA social
    seems after swapping carb bases out, I got my slight rich problem gone, Now the exhaust valves are almost white and plugs clean... Cant complain...

Here is a few mile stretch of a backroad in the burbs, its only pretty like this for these few miles so I take what I can get.....
    COUPE 111.jpg

Then here is a partial pic of the AACA social... My coupe makes the A club boys kinda pissy.... But I got a good idea of how much faster this thing is than a stocker, and damn... No contest....
    COUPE 110.jpg

Lil'Alb, Old Dawg, barrnone50 and 8 others like this.
  21. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Looking good mate!

22. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Not having played with different cam shafts to see the different out comes, I have been wondering how 'transferable' these profiles would be to different side-valve engines... ie. Does a hot v8 sidey cam profile work well in a Banger? (Given the carb/exhaust header improvement are also done) this is a rookie question & I hope this makes sense...
    The background to this question is that I am considering using another period flat head 4 in a project, there is very little performance work done on these engines & just thinking about a starting point.
    thanks,
    Glenn

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  23. Mainedrifter2

Mainedrifter2

Out here fall motoring in Maine, putting off tearing the motor apart until the snow flies.

AADF20C5-C1FF-4BA2-AC4C-BE24762A52A7.jpeg

v8flat44, J.Ukrop, Dustyp489 and 8 others like this.
  24. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Yep, Im Jealous..... Great pic, great looking car, and love the leaves turn.

Mainedrifter2 likes this.
  25. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Best I can tell you, the v8 grinds, made for more upper rpm running and power, like my 3/4 stipe cam, its choppy and you know its there, but the upper end of it really shines, I could only imagine what a burtz block with 5 mains and a great balance job, and OHV conversion it would sing I bet at 4500....

Dustyp489, Crazydaddyo and Outback like this.
  26. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Does anyone have the directions to FAB the throttle Pivot Arm that is used with aftermarket manifolds. I have the Riley Downdraft aka Equalizer.

Used to be a PDF floating out there.
    Thanks

27. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

Checking in! thrashed away on the car for most of September in preparation for Trog. Broke rear end testing it a week before so thrashed again finding a new rear end and getting it fitted the evening before I left.

99BBF7D5-A9FB-42F7-BA92-196CAD1DEB36.jpeg
    unfortunately the hurricane arrived before I threw any sand and I broke a key in the new to me rear end pulling out of our hotel parking lot…

28. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

That sucks on the luck... Maybe time for double keyed axle shafts....

Joebrownvw and Outback like this.
  29. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

& properly lapped axles/hubs.

30. Joebrownvw

Joebrownvw

Now I actually have the time I can get it sorted! That’s what happens when you throw an unknown complete rear end in the night before.

Outback and stubbsrodandcustom like this.