Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Turn Signals will not flash when lights are on

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ffr1222k, Oct 8, 2022.

1. I just rewired my 56 Ford Victoria and the turn signals do not flash when the lights are on. I used a Rebel Wiring Harness and have nothing but positive things to say about it. I did use LED bulbs for taillights and parking lights but they do flash properly when the headlights are off. I did use a flasher for LED lamps. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  2. Do they flash properly with the parking lights on, or is it only a problem when the headlights are on?

ffr1222k likes this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Did you wire sockets correctly?

ffr1222k likes this.
  4. It is when the headlights are on. I can take the flasher out and put a jumper in the socket the flasher plugs in and the lights will come on and stay on when the turn signals are on.

5. They do flash properly when the parking lights are on, it is when the headlights are on the problem appears.

The sockets are wired correctly.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  6. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

If you are getting turn signal lights with the headlights on and jumping out the relay socket, might try a different flasher relay. I got a bad electronic flasher recently. The signal lights would come on but wouldn't flash. I tried a different electronic flasher and things are right.

ffr1222k likes this.
  7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It would appear that your signal source of power is coming from the head lamp switch then cuts out when switch is pull out all the way? Wired wrong at the switch? Bad switch?

8. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Jumpering out the relay socket and then getting signal lights would verify there is sufficient voltage being supplied from the light switch when in the headlight position.

ffr1222k likes this.
  9. I appreciate everyone's advice. I checked all of them to be sure they were not my problem. The problem ended up being lower voltage when the lights were on. I put the charger on the battery and the problem went away.

10. I was just getting ready to post low voltage....

ffr1222k and 325w like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's the little things that will get you.

ffr1222k and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have the same problem. Put on these nice looking bullet shape motorcycle turn signals that are LED. Park lights work, turn signal works but when you try to engage them at the same time the park light don't work. Replaced them with another set since they aren't that expensive and same thing. And yes, the turn signal is bright and the park light is a bit dimmer. It is time to buy a flasher unit specifically for an LED application but haven't since I have a large stash of old flashers.

ffr1222k likes this.
  13. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Turn signals always brighter than parking lamps. If trying to use old flasher, you will need a load resistor with the LED lights, which defeats the purpose of LED low current.

dearjose likes this.
  14. I bought an LED flasher. There are a lot of them that advertise they work on motorcycles.

15. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just solved a similar issue on my car…. it was a ground problem. In my case one of the tail light housings was not properly grounded to the case (a manufacturing error), which made the ground wire I installed to the housing ineffective.

When you turn on the running lights there is more current than without them and the existing ground isn’t up to the task.

I admit mine was a little different than yours, in that my right turn didn’t work even with parking lights on. If yours is just when the headlights are on then it may not be the same issue.

John

ffr1222k likes this.