Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Big Bore Calipers?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Harry Berridge, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Harry Berridge

Harry Berridge

Need help to identify the calipers mounted on the drop front axle of my 30 Ford. Someone identified them as "Big Bore" calipers from 1988 to 2002 S10s. After checking, the mounting bolts on the S10 calipers are about 6 1/2 inches from center to center. The mounting pins on my calipers measure almost 8 inches from center to center. Any help would be appreciated. IMG_3440.jpg IMG_3436.jpg center to

2. TCTND

TCTND

Googling the casting# brings up a wide variety of GM vehicles; Buick, Cadillac, Olds, Chevy Suburban.. and on and on.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  3. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I believe the S-10 calipers would be the standard GM metric calipers. Those would have about
    5-1/2" center. Back in the late '70s the GM big cars like Impala had a caliper with wider mounting holes. Those have about 7" center to center mounting bolts. Yous kinda look like the big Chevy.

4. 6sally6

6sally6

I learned the hard way.....S-10 calipers 'need' shivel-lay master cylinders to work right.
    Couple of HAMBers on here steered me the right direction on those type calipers.
    6sally6

ffr1222k likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

this is mid 1980s full size Chevy truck, sure looks like it, eh?

caliper.jpg

6. If you decide to use a GM METRIC CALIPER, they (most) are low-drag and requires a step bore/quick take-up MC. The MC piston would also have to be matched with the caliper piston size/swept area to operate properly.

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One way to ensure getting GM metric calipers WITHOUT low drag seals is with NEW aftermarket calipers, like those from AFCO, available in three piston sizes, that use stock GM pads and hardware.
    I credit HAMBers gimpyshotrods and Joel for learning about the alternative to buying rebuilt GM calipers, without worry about the low drag seal. :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    42merc and X-cpe like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Full size GM Metric 77/ mid 70's probably up to the last rear wheel drive full sixe GM cars.
    Click on the the Delco part number after you open the link and it tells you what it fits. ACDELCO 18FR623C Caliper | RockAuto
    Below from Rock Auto's More info page.

It's just a GM metric "big" caliper as apposed to the GM Metric "small" caliper on G bodies.
    They do fit 81/86 C 10 pickups. Making getting pads real simple. Screenshot (513).png

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. Harry Berridge

Harry Berridge

Thanks for all your help. We were able to confirm that the calipers in question are for a 1969 to 1977 GMC midsize car.

10. Harry Berridge

Harry Berridge

Yep, looks identical Thanks

11. Harry Berridge

Harry Berridge

Yes, Exact same casting number. Thanks