Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Chrysler Mild Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gotgas, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I just wanted to join the chorus of people saying how amazing the Gathering at the Roc was. The cars, the people, and the place were just amazing. My dad and I got to meet a lot of people for the first time, and sorry for those we missed. The car was flawless for 900 miles, only losing a bullet from a spider cap in Tulsa on the way home on Saturday. It even averaged 14.9mpg at a steady 75mph on the last two legs of the trip. Put this show on your must-do list!

20220930_191752.jpg 306944708_5869421793070937_5921237674887740945_n-2.jpg 20220929_184657.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

On the way up, we stopped in OKC to see the building that was the Reinauer Brothers Motor Co, the dealership where this very car was sold new on Sept 17, 1957. :) They mostly sold Studebakers, but also Chryslers and Triumph motorcycles beginning in the late '50s. It's now an immersive art exhibit. The folks that run it were very friendly and gave us a tour of the building. It ceased being a dealership in 1968 so there wasn't a lot of ephemera remaining, but it was still great to finally reunite the car with this place.

191764179.jpg 20220929_094313.jpg ChryslerDecode.jpg

3. Car looked even better in person! Pretty sure my son got some good driving shots of it, but I haven’t seen them yet.

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Thank you! I saw him on the side of the road; I almost stopped until I saw him running out with camera in hand. :D

Thor1, Daddy Deville, Sancho and 5 others like this.
  5. Car looked awesome, as always, and was a treat to get to see it again. Mickey Bryan and I were standing by your car admiring it and he said "If you see something you don't like, you're stupid." He's right. :)

That "golden hour" shot in front of the Price Tower is incredible!! So cool you got to stop it back by the old dealership building.

6. Is there a Chrysler database you found out that info on your car? I don't think that exists for GM or Ford. I know you can get a 'birth certificate' for VWs from the factory in Wolfsburg, Germany. Super cool, I love history. I seem to remember my dad told me my 38 Chevy was sold new in Phoenix, Arizona. I have no idea how he knew that or how I could find more information.

7. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lol! Thanks Dave.....

I've not seen the car before only in pictures, this is one you have to see in person. Thanks for driving up. She is a work of art and tastefully done. A purrfect example of a mild kustom.

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The car has a trim tag on the core support with codes for most of that information (that can be decoded from online sources), but the dealer and delivery info can only come from Chrysler Historical. I sent them two checks for 10 bucks each to decode this car and my Plymouth wagon. I got a lot of info, but they never cashed the checks. LOL.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I saw you guys by your cars early in the day on Saturday, and then didn't see you there again later. Sorry I didn't stop to say hi when I had the chance. Next year for sure!

9. egads

egads

Nicely optioned car when new. Bet it was pretty when built, but it's gorgeous now.

drdave, 54delray, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  10. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

We were staying at the Price Tower and had our car parked under the breezeway while you were taking your photos out front.
    Neat car.

11. Squablow

Squablow

I'm filled with jealousy. The car looks amazing, glad to see it racking up so many trouble-free miles.

12. Not to get too far off track, but some of that info is available for some GM and Ford cars. Pontiac Historical has some....I got some info on my '64 Catalina from them a million years ago, although sadly, the microfilm was damaged at the place where my factory invoice is located. You can also get a Marti report for Mustangs and the Classic Thunderbird Club has all the invoices for the "little" birds.

13. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Do you still have this 4 door parts car?

chryslerfan55 and 54delray like this.
  14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I don't. What's left of it is at Browne's Auto Salvage in Sunset, TX. I have a lot of parts, feel free to DM me if you're looking for something specific.

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and 54delray like this.
  15. I just skimmed most of this thread again, (slow day at work) and man... it's not just the finished product, it's also the build process, time with your dad, home built, perseverance over many years... and of course a killer car in the end! It looks really good going down the road.

What happened to the Plymouth wagon? I seem to recall maybe you sold it?

16. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Ive been wondering about the ol blue wagon too.. Is it for sale or gone already ?

17. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Just another small update. My Chrysler is in the latest Speed and Kulture magazine, the one with the Jimmy Summers Ford on the cover. Trent Sherrill did a great job with the photos; his lighting and angles really make it look like the little books. Go get yourself a copy! :)

20221003_182858.jpg

DCTM9069.jpg

DCTM9053.jpg

DCTM9111.jpg

DCTM9039-2 - Copy.jpg

DCTM9073.jpg

18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'm just seeing this. The wagon is gone, yes, but it's in good hands. :cool: A friend of mine has it and he has really big plans for the old Plymouth. It's gonna be awesome!

drdave, guthriesmith, Sancho and 6 others like this.
  19. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Well I guess thats good because Ive sure would of been trying to buy it ! Used to get a kick out of the ol wooden water skis in the back.

20. 57kustomwagon

57kustomwagon

Here's some updates on the wagon

Attached Files:

Jounik, 55Deso, The.Rev.Earl and 21 others like this.
  21. Squablow

Squablow

Nice to see that Plymouth wagon getting some proper rust repair @57kustomwagon, I like the swoopy rear quarter openings, too. What are those from?

Thor1, guthriesmith, Dan Hay and 2 others like this.
  22. The wheel openings look like 59 Chevy to me

23. lincolnkid

lincolnkid

Just stopping by to say this thing is BEAUTIFUL. I want a forward look mopar someday.

mario711 likes this.
  24. vinny harms

vinny harms

Close. It's 61 Impala

Thor1, 54delray and Dan Hay like this.
  25. Rand Man

Rand Man

I love 57 Chryslers, and yours is the best one going right now.

26. 57kustomwagon

57kustomwagon

61 impala, openings , I wanted the classic teardrop but not the usual 57 chevy

jim snow and Rand Man like this.
  27. 57kustomwagon

57kustomwagon

61 impala

Gotgas likes this.
  28. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Hey HAMB'rs, just a heads up. I'll be bringing the Mopar to the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona CA on Feb 3-5, 2023. It will be in the Suede Palace next to the Speed and Kulture / Cheater Slick Culture booth. Come on over and say Hi, check out the car, hang out with us, tell me how you would have done it better! Hope to see you there :cool:

danny1957mopar_matthewleland-81-2.jpg

29. Wow! That’s pretty cool. Congrats! Just remember us little people now that you’ve hit the big time. :)

30. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff. I don’t think anyone could have done better.jmho. Snowman ⛄️

drdave, Hombre, Thor1 and 2 others like this.