Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Possibly stupid steering box question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deere boy, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Deere boy

Deere boy

I want to replace the steering box on my speedster. I see a lot of Corvair and Vega repo boxes advertised online and in catalogs. It appears that the Vega boxes are meant for cross steer only which counts them out. Some of the Corvair boxes say "reversed". What part is reversed?

2. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

It is a race car. Why not consider a race car steering? They even come in power versions.

3. Deere boy

Deere boy

It's not much different than a model T Ford speedster. Front axle is model A Ford.

4. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Why not rebuild the box you have now?

5. Deere boy

Deere boy

Because it is from a tractor and it doesn't have enough leverage for its current use. Here is an article about the speedster. https://greenmagazine.com/the-john-deere-speedster/
    Does anyone know the answer to my original question?

6. Deere boy

Deere boy

I see in the "Big Model T" thread that he is using a Vega steering box on its side for traditional steering. Hmmmm.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  7. 62rebel

62rebel

There's a couple of tech threads on actually doing it, but the reversed boxes are out there for sale already made. Apparently it's to move the pitman shaft from one side of the box to the other so it swings the right way when mounted up.

8. squirrel

squirrel

When a box is reversed, what they do is take out the worm gear (input shaft), and put it in the other way, so the box faces the opposite direction. This puts the worm gear on the opposite side of the pitman gear, and so it turns the other way.

9. alchemy

alchemy

I think a few good pics of what you currently have would help us recommend a replacement. Might be something that’s almost the same size. Your article doesn’t show the current box.

10. I like speedsters and old tractors so this project is a lot of fun
    Since you have a model a front axle why not use a 2 tooth model A steering box
    Then when you get the gearing down to tractor speed you can use the hand throttle on the steering column

11. KenC

KenC

Not exactly traditional, but the Toyota solid axle 4wd pickups use a really small gear. Recirculating ball and compact. Much better than the Corvair. Sits on top of the frame with the pitman arm vertical, moving fore and aft. I'm just starting to fit one to my 56Dodge 1/2t. Power version. The only issue I see so far is the pitman may be too short to provide full motion with the original steering arms. So, either length it, shorten the arms or live with a big turning radius. I think the last year was about 85, so some them from the very end of the HAMB era may work.

12. Deere boy

Deere boy

647ABD51-6274-45BE-9216-E95F54A98C79.jpeg This is identical to what I have except I currently have a quickener on it.

13. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

14. Theres always the 48-52 F1 box.Looks old school.You can remove the mounting flange,and add a new one where you need it.Some guys take the mounting flange off a model A,and graft it to a trimmed F1 box.

Oldtmtech likes this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy

I bet that Deere box says Gemmer somewhere on it. Sure looks like an old Ford, like an F-1. If you are looking for a modern replacement, flipping around on the Borgeson website should prove fruitful. They make boxes for all kinds of stuff from hot rods to muscle to trucks to industrial. One of them has got to have a similar architecture and a good ratio.

rusty valley likes this.
  16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That box is the same as 32-34 Ford Gemmer... John Deer used them. The casting on the end is not drilled and tapped for a light switch. thumbnail (12).jpg

clem and rusty valley like this.
  17. Deere boy

Deere boy

John Deere used these on what models?

18. Deere boy

Deere boy

I’m wondering if this might be a good replacement. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-920042

19. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Don't know exactly, but for Gemmer to have them available the time frame would have been early 30s EDIT: John Deere L LA and LI 1937 to 1946 acording to a rebuild kit found on Flebay.

20. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Post a pic of what you have, the Model A box looks similar but is different.

21. Deere boy

Deere boy

I already did. It’s just like the green one above. The model A one is 50 percent larger.

22. Back in the '60s, a lot of people used the early '60s Ford Econoline van boxes. Another good one is the side steer boxes used on '64-'69 Dodge A-100 vans which was made by Saginaw division of GM--I suspect the early '60s Chevy vans that were beam axle and side steer probably used it too. I junked out a '69 Dodge A-100 years ago. The steering box went to a guy who was building a '24 Studebaker roadster. He was really happy with it.

23. alchemy

alchemy

That new Borgeson box looks like a good replacement if the direction is correct. Did you read the specs?

clem likes this.