Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quotes to live by...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Apr 2, 2018.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

:eek:

Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. young51

young51

From my infamous cousin: " She's a 2 at 10, but a 10 at 2!"

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. Slopok

Slopok

"The difference between a DOG and a FOX is 3 drinks" :rolleyes:

4. X-cpe

X-cpe

One of the hardest things to kill is a bad reputation.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was only a few months before my Sandy died when she laid this one on me...

"Rick, we need to thank and praise God every day.
    No matter what."

After she died, her words ringing in my ears, I started doing that. Strangest thing I ever did, thanking God while feeling so sad. But I would highly recommend it to anyone who's lost hope.

tommyd, das858, JimSibley and 17 others like this.
  6. So True!! I agree wholeheartedly.

7. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My old boss, a WWII airborne guy told me "around midnight you need to drop your standards":) he also said his dad (a WWI vet) told him "if you aren't in bed by 10 o'clock you might as well give up and come home".

8. ras

ras

Read this a little bit ago by B Edward Ewing; “It’s not just about the money, It’s about the character.”

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. Or the corollary: Good from afar, but far from good

young51, X-cpe, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  10. Thank you, Rick! And thanks to Sandy.

Ben

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s what needs to be done, but it is sometimes difficult,in that situation! Time helps!

Bones

chryslerfan55 and Rickybop like this.
  12. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Man, this one is no joke. Learning I'll never be able to get rid of the rep I developed in my 20s around my home town. Been 25 years since I cleaned up my act and still whispers, lol. Oh well..... If you're gonna do the time, may as well do the crime!

X-cpe, Boneyard51 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. verde742

verde742

If your alarm clock doesn't ring when you set it to go off,
    just nudge it a little..
    "works fer me....!!!!!:p

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

"let me answer that with a yes and with a no"..

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

“Some boys are just born with cars in their souls…”

Hello,

There was an old poster we once saw at an old antique store in the City of Orange many years ago. The quote seems like what most dads want their kids to be while growing up. Past experiences of their own childhood plays a big part of what the future would be like for a little newborn son or toddler running around the yard. But, “…born with cars in their souls?” What a concept!

Since most parents like the color Blue for boys and Pink for girls, the next step is sports and toy cars. So, what was in the minds of all of those parents selecting toys for their kids? They must have thought cars are for boys and flowers are for girls… kind of thought. Thinking back to what our parents shoved on us, tricycles, turned into a cool "Pumpmobile" for me as my time came along.
    upload_2022-10-7_4-3-21.png The "Pumpmobile" in front of a 1941 Buick fastback sedan.
    1947 era Eastside Long Beach, Government trailer court...

My brother got a tricycle, but left it around, as he just ran around with his older cousins. Leaving me behind standing around not wanting to get the rath of anger, if I rode his tricycle around the trailer court parking lot. So, my dad surprised me by taking me to a store called “Toytown” in downtown Long Beach to get me a surprise. I had my choice of tricycles, but something caught my eye that was different and actually, that was also my dad’s original choice for his youngest son. YES! I called it a “Pumpmobile” many years later, when we went to the next level up, Schwinn Bicycles.

Jnaki

By the time we moved away from the trailer courts in 1948, little cars were a part of every gift or present at our birthdays or Christmas. So, I was starting my tremendous liking of all things cars from this time period. As a matter of fact, my dad chose me to meet him at the corner of everyday in the afternoon, when he got home from work. I was 4 or 5 years old. He allowed me to steer his 41 Buick Fastback to the curb in front of our house, Why?

Who knows, he must have seen the look in my eyes when he asked me to meet him. Yowza! I got to steer the 41 Buick, then in the fall of 1948, when he got a huge 49 Buick Roadmaster, I was able to steer it until our mom saw me parking the 49 Buick at the curb and had a huge fit. Something about cars are bad or he is too young, etc… all from every mom’s worry wort sayings.

From that point on, I was hooked for good. Now, 75 years later, many old cars, hot rods and drag racing cars, motors, parts and fun stuff later, the "being together" trip is still going on for the foreseeable future. “Cars in their souls… lives on…”

16. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

It's not what you know that gets you in trouble "It's what you think you know that is not so"

Words of wisdom to live by. Jimbo

Boneyard51, X-cpe and tr_rodder like this.
  17. Slopok

Slopok

I'll keep fixing it til it's broke! :rolleyes:

18. The older I get, the faster I was….

Boneyard51 and '28phonebooth like this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

“I Can't Stop Dreaming..."

Hello,

During my junior high school days, some of my friends were walking around with some girls. The rumor was that some of them were “a couple.” That was a new concept for me, a couple… I only knew of one couple, that was our mom and dad…yeeeww! So, as the year rolled on, more girls that were friends started hanging out with some of us, guys.

As the concept goes, friendships in those groups and in the classes began to blossom. The idea of being a couple was starting, but it was still a far reach. The idea followed us into high school and the “couple” idea was not only a happening thing, but the different friends we met opened up our eyes to new things and experiences.
    upload_2022-10-14_3-47-39.png
    As hot rodding started coming on strong in our family, some of those "couple" friendships lasted and some did not. Grease, oil and wind in your face was not what a lot of girls wanted as their coiffure styling needed too much care. They liked the beach scene, but no one surfed or wanted to sit around while we were all in the water enjoying the waves. But, riding around in a cool hot rod/cruiser was pretty important to them and me.

So, as we progressed in high school, cars were our culture, if the girls wanted to be a part of the couple scene, they had to meld into the culture. As teenagers, we would not think of getting our cars dirty or pass it on to the other side of the front seat passengers.

Jnaki

upload_2022-10-14_3-49-18.png Racing a cruiser was open season on the unsuspecting... YRMV
    Thanks, @themoose

As those teenage adventures moved on in life, like beyond graduation, the world was different and other people we met were also different. Their point of view on various things were similar, but strange. Family backgrounds played a big part, but sometimes family upbringing made a new person searching for something else.

In college, the relationships were a little more “mature” and the ideals were life changing to be able to be a part of society without ending up in jail. So, all of the dreams from the junior high school days were now being streamlined and shaped to real 20 something lives.

Having met someone with similar ideals in the last years of college, changed our 20 something adventures for better experiences was eye opening. That whole scene played a big part of becoming a long lasting “couple,” to this day. “ I only had eyes for you…”

“DREAMS CAN COME TRUE…”
    Note: While I was drawing some new stuff, I was listening to a series of old songs from those H.S. days and then morphed into some old classic music to get more ideas for artwork.

Inspiration from the following:

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My mom had a small wall plaque years ago that read:
    "Its not the ice that makes you slip, it's what you mix with it".

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. Chrome is a man's diamonds

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

“Halloween is opportunity to have fun and be really creative.”

upload_2022-10-21_4-58-10.png

Hello,

The time we spent in the funky old trailer court from 1946 to late 1948 was a fun time for all of us little kids. The whole complex was a flat paved area with parking for the people who had owned cars and lived in the small trailers. It was a place that housed the “black aircraft industry workers” as our USA history shows. By the time 1946 came, a lot of the workers moved on to real housing and away from the area. So, rents were less expensive and plentiful for our small family and relatives looking for housing.

My day was pretty much the same, sleep, eat, naps, go outside and play. There was not much room in the small trailer. My brother and I shared a drop down table that converted into a small bed for the two of us. It was perfect at the time. Our day was playing outside all day and at night listening to the Lone Ranger on our old radio. No TV at the time period. We were enthralled at the adventures on the radio.

Jnaki

So, as little money as we had, we had to be creative, so I wanted to be the Lone Ranger, but I did not have a mask. My mom found some black cloth and sewed on some old black shoe laces. She cut holes in the cloth and sewed up the ragged edges to make a nice looking black mask, like the Lone Ranger.

There was no fancy white outfit with black boots, but picture me on the “Pumpmobile” with a custom black mask and … here comes the Lone Range on his reliable “steed.”

chryslerfan55, X-cpe and Boneyard51 like this.
  23. larry k

larry k

As far as my rodding skills go ,I’m good on bad work ! But bad on good work ! ……

X-cpe and Boneyard51 like this.
  24. jnaki

jnaki

“Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'
    Into the future…”

“Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'
    Into the future…”

Hello,

Some song lyrics are great quotes that have a lot of meaning for most people. Back then, the aura was a little hazy for most and despite knowing the words, it flew out of the window as just words. Easy in and easy out… My wife and I had been together since the last two college years and we loved our life together. College classes in the morning, a quick jaunt to the Alamitos Bay shoreline for lunch, watching the sailboats and giant powerboats sail or cruise by was fun. We pictured ourselves, someday doing just that.

Well, past our “couple days” by the time this song came out, we were beginning our new adventure as parents and what lay ahead. Time was slipping by and we had no way to stop it. But, as responsible folks, we just kept adapting to what hit us next and kept on moving forward to the next level.
    upload_2022-10-28_3-29-26.png
    Some changes were made and they worked out well for both of us. We did have to sell the 65 El Camino and it stayed in Dana Point for several years, as we saw it painted Blue in South Laguna Beach. We learned to endure the 70s-80s and stepped right into our current low key lifestyle.

Jnaki

Something has to be said for being able to adapt to all things, strange and not always in agreement with our ideals. But change is how one grows and flows into the next level of life. (Or what life has to offer.) If goals aren’t too “way out there” then they are achievable. A local neighbor won one of the early So Cal lottery prizes and almost dropped off the face of the world. But, here it is 60 years later, out of high school, as time has come around and caught up with all of us.

A few days ago, I saw a photo showing the group of teenagers we grew up with in high school that are still “alive and kicking...” They all have taken time to the limits in their respective fields, all retired and leaving a lasting history of our time in So Cal. But, time keeps on slipping, into the future… YRMV

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. verde742

verde742

Candy is dandy, But sex won't rot yer teeth !!!

And what the hell is " Clean horse manure ?"

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
    BJR and Boneyard51 like this.
  26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It can clog your pipes though if you don't choose wisely!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. tim troutman

tim troutman

My friend Nathan Sabel who passed this week would say ITS AN ASAULT ON YOUR MANHOOD TO ONLY RUN 1 CARBURATOR ON A FLAT HEAD

28. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never did nuthin to me !!!!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  29. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Probably been said before.

This is going to hurt!

30. jnaki

jnaki

“Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.”

upload_2022-11-4_5-19-44.png One 3/4 design ... one and done!

Hello,

From the time sitting in our house on a rainy day scribbling what looked like a car, to sitting in Junior HS/High School classrooms drawing our dream hot rod and scallops/flames coming off of the notebooks. It was a total escape from the normal daily life. The dreams are virtually low cost, designs can be mild to wild and as more artwork is done, the skill levels get a little better each time.

Not being an artist with built in art skills from an early age, one just plunks along with scribbles to defining angles and patterns. We love the ocean, but our skill level drawing a wave breaking is hilarious. That type of art is not our speed or taste. Stick figures are what is our skill levels.

Jnaki

But the love of cars has lasted this long and continues as it gives me time to change things, create different designs or remember those cool old drag race cars from our early teenage years. Somehow, the early scallops on our Pee Chee notebooks continued to be a big part of growing up.

A variety of styles:
    upload_2022-11-4_5-24-33.png

to upload_2022-11-4_5-24-51.png
    to upload_2022-11-4_5-25-22.png
    and a different composition/idea: a tow car plus drag race hot rod.
    upload_2022-11-4_5-26-11.png
    Note:
    upload_2022-11-4_5-27-23.png
    In high school, I painted on some red flames on a white pair of tennies. (middle bottom) I got laughed at instantly. Then almost 48 years later, I drew some red flames on our grandaughter’s White low cut tennies and her dad got mad at me for wasting a good pair of shoes. For us, it was cool and our grand daughter loved them. We got a clean pair of white tennies for her new shoes.

Then as we got into going shopping with her, she found a pair of high end shoe company’s version of flames on a high heeled designer shoes. Instantly, she said when she becomes a teenager, she is going to wear those. Ha!
    upload_2022-11-4_5-34-50.png
    For an art screen printing project in college… one of those “fun” classes. (A learned process of a silk screen drawing, superimposing on a nylon screen.) Then using a multitude of colors and other screens was a nightmare… a good drawing (A grade) turned into a no so good project for the final. (B grade)

We all live and learn…