Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Gathering at the Roc is Nuts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Hay, Sep 29, 2022.

1. CA72FF90-0941-4D4B-B8BA-FC471FD11C49.jpeg This gorgeous roadster belongs to @lowtech36rod. Mike and I have known each other since we were kids. Our dads were hot Rodder buddies and we’d get together and hang out at car events growing up in Arizona. He won an award and drove this car all the way from Kentucky!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    alfin32, drdave, LOWDUG37 and 19 others like this.
  2. winduptoy, Gotgas and Dan Hay like this.
  3. Good to meet you as well!

lothiandon1940 and winduptoy like this.
  4. 6903517E-3EF8-48F4-AB91-EDFE93B4204B.jpeg Including the reliability run we did 800ish miles this weekend. It didn’t skip a beat. 70-75 mph on bias plys, SBC to an early ford drivetrain, 3.78 gears… probably 2800-2900 rpm all day long, 15 mpg. Used 2 quarts of oil but I suspect most of that is because of the valve covers, it needs gaskets and the PCV is not baffled, I think it’s sucking up oil there. I love this old road hammer!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    mgermca, Voh, drdave and 29 others like this.
  5. Glad you made it home safe Dan! Good seeing you as always.

Dan Hay likes this.
  6. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Man, I think I'd somehow forgotten how freaking BIG some of those '50s cars are. That '59 Impala looks like it could have two different zip codes...:eek::eek::)
    And the custom Merc?! And almost every other car posted?! :cool:

My eyes are definitely bigger than my garage or my bank balance! ;)

Dan Hay likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Rand Man looks like @Dan Hay is running pretty much exactly what we talked about! Have to take a closer look next time.

Dan, that’s great it did so well. Car looks super classy! We clocked just about 800 as well but not looking nearly as good lol

guthriesmith, Rand Man and Dan Hay like this.
  8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So Dan, I met Jack and we cut up together several times during the event. First time was Friday evening in the Hilton back parking lot. Brian was delivering shirts, Clay was harassing...I met you, Jacks dad, but didn't put two and two together...glad you had a good time and drive to and from.
    See you down the road....

drdave, guthriesmith, Gotgas and 2 others like this.
  9. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

Thank you posting Grear photos

10. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

11. I believe that car belongs to Steve Cook, of Steve Cook Creations out of OKC. Pretty neat ride! I don't know much else about it but it's been on several of our Hot Rod Hundred Reliability runs, so it's a driver!

Kelly Burns likes this.
  12. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I don't mean to hijack thread, but on first page there is blue 32 3w. Has Indian room on the door. What is the chrome/SS piece that is running just out from exhaust manifold. And while I'm typing, when do they open registration for next year . I aint gonna drag ass around and not send in pic.

Dan Hay likes this.
  13. Hamtown Al likes this.
  14. Corvette ignition shielding.

Tim and Dan Hay like this.
  15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Good to see you there, Dan!

guthriesmith and Dan Hay like this.
  16. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Tim and Dan Hay like this.
  17. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

It looks like a really neat ride for sure! I'll have to try and find more pictures of it.

18. Yep, what Dan said other than it is actually Kim Cook's (Steve's wife). :D She has had the car since before they got married. It has a Hilborn injected small block and is a really cool daily driver. Every time I go down to their shop, it is sitting outside since that is how Steve got to work. I have several pics of it and can send you a few via conversation.

drdave, winduptoy, Gotgas and 3 others like this.
  19. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Man, I would really appreciate that!

guthriesmith likes this.
  20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Kim and Steve took time to chat with me about my Mopar and tell me about the awesome projects at their shop, as well as their son Mike. They are great people and that Ford is killer!

Sancho, Dan Hay and guthriesmith like this.
  21. Yep, Steve and Kim are the best. I have only known them for the last 10 years or so but seems like I have known them forever. Mike is also a good friend and quite the character. :D

Sancho, Dan Hay and winduptoy like this.
  22. Rusty

Rusty

Good seeing you this weekend , don’t cut your 40 short, it’s a pretty sweet ride itself , can’t believe how big your son has gotten

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@bchrismer gave me a ride from the show out to the house down country road washboard after my family had left me with my car for air conditioning and screens haha. 9CA7FB72-15DE-4522-8862-FFD77EE689BD.jpeg i took a few videos, was like a road grader made out of a tin can, good to know which one of your buddies are fine driving down roads like this. B12D0E4B-5DDB-4ED1-AA80-91CE3135887C.jpeg 50A62A5A-0694-4A0B-B111-721492BB3BF3.jpeg he laughed and commented on how nice and white his white walls and running boards looked 7D3A39C1-F4D0-4A52-B2C3-13D51B7A55F2.jpeg seat belt inspector had to take a look as well. He’s still talking about it :)

40two, drdave, winduptoy and 6 others like this.
  24. primed34

primed34

Thanks

Dan Hay likes this.
  25. Thanks Rusty, good seeing you and your pops as well. Jack is getting big physically but he’s got an even bigger personality. He made up a new word this weekend: Honk-liment. It’s when someone likes your car and pays you a compliment by honking.

“Dad I’ve been keeping count and we’ve gotten 5 honkliments so far”

patent pending

26. @Tim was that the road to your Airbnb? Because I hope I don’t accidentally book that place next year. I don’t have a show car but it is black and that would be a mess!

Sancho, Tim and guthriesmith like this.
  27. verde742

verde742

wow whata treat !!!! went thru 3 times, gotta go again, thru the pictures !!!!!

THANK YOU !!!

Dan Hay likes this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah it was lol not booking it for the second year that’s for sure!

Primered Forever and Dan Hay like this.
  29. It was an adventure getting to Tim's place of lodging. I think it was somewhere close to 4 miles down the gravel road to get to it. According to the google maps, Tim's place was 8.8 miles from Woolaroc, but to get there via paved roads, it would have involved going dang near all the way back to Bartlesville, then come back in through Ochelata.

For the record, most of the dust collected on the trip to Tim's place stayed on the truck all the way back to Springfield. LOL

Dan Hay likes this.