Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Trog canceled

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Busted Knuckles, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

More information to follow but the race of gentlemen has just been canceled it was not done by the race promoters but rather the town.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

When I first heard of TROG, my very first thought was, "that shit isn't going to last long." I mean, our kind in a quaint little beach town racing on a beach? There's no way the general public will be down for that long... especially when the 1am burnouts start.

Then, I went to TROG. It was the most beautiful event I have ever seen. Sincerely. I was flabbergasted by the dedication to the art of the event, the presentation, everything... It's so gorgeous, I thought, that maybe even the general public will get it. I mean, who doesn't love a perfectly detailed movie set?

Guess I was wrong... I hope they find another venue. They deserve a break for all the hard work they do. I know for a fact there isn't much money in this thing and the main driver is passion.

3. I'm guessing weather canceled it

4. It's 100% the storm surge. Race track is covered and the water is still rising.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I heard a rumor that the city was tired of the hooligans in attendance and their after hours hooliganism. Just a rumor though... I have zero facts on the matter.

Tim and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Other side of concrete barrier is the track.

Screenshot_20220930-095437_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20220930-095427_Instagram.jpg

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

I saw some comments on social that the Coast Guard is the one who shut it down.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  8. Last week a bunch of "tuner cars" had a "take over", which if you don't know what that is, it is a unsanctioned "take over" of the town and people acting like dumbass's in their cars. There was a street race last week and several people were killed.

There is a HEAVY police presence in Wildwood currently. But I do think they recognize that the old car people are a little more responsible..

SS327, The37Kid, KKrod and 5 others like this.
  9. That is what I have gathered too. Mostly coast guard, but city is involved as well.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Relieved it’s weather though…

Those take over things kids do these days are punk rock. I’m here for it. :)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Last week the tuner H2Oi event ended up with a fatality.

Just Gary likes this.
  12. Haha. Yeah they are, I actually love the idea in a lot af ways. Sort of what we are doing with Hoodlums and Hamburgers here.

Just not the behavior that leads to accidents and fatalities.

13. banjorear

banjorear

Well, in the case of the Wildwood takeover last week, two people got killed due to their absolute recklessness. That wasn't cool or punk rock in the least.

14. Come on man, we both know @Ryan isn't saying that was cool.

alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. sshep

sshep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, Mother Nature was the major deciding factor on this one. Totally sucks for TROG.

The heavy police presence was due to the previous weekend's events. This is copied from NJ 101.5 ;

WILDWOOD — The Pittsburgh man accused of killing two people in a crash at Saturday night's pop-up car rally is facing new, upgraded charges.

Gerald White, 37, was behind the wheel of a 2003 Infinity that struck a Honda Civic and then multiple pedestrians at Burk and Atlantic Avenues, according to Cape May County Prosecutor Jeffrey Sutherland.

On Thursday, Sutherland announced new charges for the Pittsburgh man who prosecutors said was "at fault."

White is now charged with two counts of first-degree aggravated manslaughter for extreme indifference, two counts of first-degree aggravated manslaughter for eluding police, two counts of second-degree aggravated assault for serious bodily injury, and two counts of second-degree aggravated assault for fleeing from police.

The new charges are a significant upgrade, as previously White was only facing second and third-degree offenses.

The crash left two people dead. Timothy Ogden, 34, of Clayton, and Lindsay Weakland, 18, of Carlisle, PA were identified as the victims.

A GoFundMe for Weakland's funeral services is still collecting donations. The GoFundMe for Ogden's funeral services states it reached its $10,000 goal on Wednesday.

Sutherland said on Thursday that the investigation into the crash is ongoing.

A separate crash the same evening just a few blocks away hospitalized Erhan Bayram, 31, of Williamstown. Bayram, his girlfriend, and their four daughters were riding in a golf cart when they were struck by a 2020 BMW that had lost control after performing a burnout, according to Sutherland.

Eryk Wnek, 22, of Linden, is charged with second-degree aggravated assault and third-degree assault by auto. Sutherland said that investigation is also ongoing and more charges could be coming.

16. egads

egads

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

New charges are 'new charges', at least to me. Some of which I've never even heard of, such as the applied 'degrees'.
    Not that they are undeserved by the nature of irresponsibility, but sound more like 'creative writing' than naked charges.
    ...And I live in Cali!

Desoto291Hemi and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those storm surges are moving up the coast pretty fast and pretty hard.
    Those of us who were at Trog at Pismo Beach in 2016 know what storm surges can do
    [​IMG]

I'd say that by now the city and the Wildwood cops know the Trog folks pretty well and know that it is a well organized pretty well policed from within operaton and know the difference between participant cars and outsiders cars. The folks in the shops in town know that Trog is an after laborday Boost that brings a lot of money into town that it wouldn't see otherwise.

Hitchhiker, WalkerMD, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  19. banjorear

banjorear

If I misread his intent, then I apologize. I have no friggin' clue as to what emojis mean, so it is possible I didn't catch his drift.

alanp561 likes this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I posted this on the other thread too.
    It looks like there is a serious chance some of the parking lots will flood with that storm surge.

Atlantic Coastal Cape May Alerts2 Active
    [​IMG]
    Coastal Flood Advisory

Start

End

Friday, September 30, 10:00 AM EDT

Friday, September 30, 4:00 PM EDT

Source: U.S. National Weather Service

...HIGH RIP CURRENT RISK REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH THIS EVENING... ...COASTAL FLOOD ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING TO 4 PM EDT THIS AFTERNOON... * WHAT...For the Coastal Flood Advisory, up to one half foot of inundation above ground level expected in low-lying areas near shorelines and tidal waterways. For the High Rip Current Risk, dangerous rip currents expected. * WHERE...Atlantic Coastal Cape May County. * WHEN...For the Coastal Flood Advisory, from 10 AM this morning to 4 PM EDT this afternoon. For the High Rip Current Risk, through this evening. * IMPACTS...Flooding of lots, parks, and roads with only isolated road closures expected. Rip currents can sweep even the best swimmers away from shore into deeper water. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Minor coastal flooding is also expected with the high tides Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Moderate coastal flooding is possible During the Monday afternoon high tide. A prolonged period of an elevated rip current risk is expected into at least early next week. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... If travel is required, allow extra time as some roads may be closed. Do not drive around barricades or through water of unknown depth. Take the necessary actions to protect flood-prone property. Swim near a lifeguard. If caught in a rip current, relax and float. Don't swim against the current. If able, swim in a direction following the shoreline. If unable to escape, face the shore and call or wave for help. && Time of high total tides are approximate to the nearest hour. Great Egg Harbor Bay at Ocean City MLLW Categories - Minor 5.3 ft, Moderate 6.3 ft, Major 7.3 ft MHHW Categories - Minor 1.3 ft, Moderate 2.3 ft, Major 3.3 ft Total Total Departure Day/Time Tide Tide from Norm Flood ft MLLW ft MHHW ft Impact -------- --------- --------- --------- -------- 30/12 PM 5.3 1.3 0.6 Minor 01/12 AM 4.6 0.6 0.9 None 01/01 PM 5.5 1.5 0.8 Minor 02/01 AM 4.5 0.5 1.0 None 02/02 PM 5.9 1.9 1.4 Minor 03/02 AM 5.3 1.3 2.0 Minor Cape May Harbor at Cape May MLLW Categories - Minor 6.2 ft, Moderate 7.2 ft, Major 8.2 ft MHHW Categories - Minor 1.1 ft, Moderate 2.1 ft, Major 3.1 ft Total Total Departure Day/Time Tide Tide from Norm Flood ft MLLW ft MHHW ft Impact -------- --------- --------- --------- -------- 30/12 PM 6.5 1.4 1.0 Minor 01/12 AM 5.6 0.5 1.4 None 01/01 PM 6.5 1.4 1.1 Minor 02/01 AM 5.1 0.0 1.1 None 02/02 PM 6.8 1.7 1.5 Minor 03/02 AM 6.1 1.0 2.3 None &&

21. Budget36

Budget36

I was initially thinking “fucking idiot kids” until I saw the age of the accused in his 30’s.
    Very sad for the families affected by that stuff.
    I saw in zman’s post the police were watching the TROG guys coming in, I can now see why.

No, I’m not suggesting the folks there for TROG would do anything like what happened before, just emphasizing with the law enforcement.

22. Ole65

Ole65

Sorry to hear it was cancelled.

23. williebill

williebill

I've seen zero hell raising by any of the TROG folks. Did see the police at the Baker entrance asking for license and registration of at least the bikes, think the no lights, etc look got them questioned. After last weekend, they didn't want non street legal stuff driving on city streets.

24. uncle buck

uncle buck

The water is still rising here as shown by track Jersey barriers

Attached Files:

Hitchhiker likes this.
  25. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Looking forward to next year

eldiablooxidado and williebill like this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. Nobey

Nobey

I hope it's due to the weather like you say. I received an e-mail from them this morning, it was
    cancelled, no explanation was given......

28. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Weather on the live cams still looks pretty bleak, I hope that's the reason for the cancellation. What a disappointment, a lot of folks really busted their ass to get ready.

29. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

We're here and making the best of the weekend. Great seeing friends who have come long distances that I don't get to see nearly enough.

I get the impression that the cancellation is weather related, since the storm surge is anticipated and has generally been lousy all day this afternoon. We got into town last night. That said, the criminal behavior that went on last weekend has certainly put this gathering in the crosshairs of law enforcement. In all the years I've been coming to TROG, I've never seen this many police here, and they're pulling people over left and right. A predictable reaction.