Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Best under floor master cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Coburn, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Dan Coburn

Dan Coburn
    from Kelso WA

Looking ahead in my project, what do you guys recommend for an under the floor master? I will have 4 wheel disc. I've been reading on the topic and it seems I can stay manual with a 1" bore master. For simplicity I may do this.
    Looking at speedway I see a universal unit, but the reviews aren't stellar. Anyone know of a better unit? For a 41 ford sedan. Thank you!

2. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I would use one for a manual disc brake Corvette....I stay away from power brakes because of cams with low vacuum...

3. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I would contact Pete&Jakes...........

dirt t, Dan Coburn and Just Gary like this.
  4. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I have four wheel disc brakes and bought an aluminum M/C from Pete and Jakes and it has worked great for many years now.

Dan Coburn and Just Gary like this.

5. Check out the Wilwood 260-7563 remote tandem unit.

Dan Coburn likes this.
  6. Dan Coburn

Dan Coburn
    from Kelso WA

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll look into them!

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was the go to for manual disk/disk on hot rods long before the aftermarked dudes came up with brake kits.
    Then the 2 lb residual valves as they take the place of the check valve in the original under the floor master cylinder.

Drum brake dual master cylinders usually have a check valve behind the seat for the brake line but disk brake master cylinders don't have that check valve.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dan Coburn likes this.
  8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I am using these on my custom Volvo - Front disk/rear drum - with an adjustable proportional valve on the rear hydraulic circuit. Lots of interstate miles, and I am very happy with the braking performance. After about 5 years, it started to drip out of the rear rubber boot. I replaced it with new identical unit.

Russ

Dan Coburn likes this.
  9. In my truck I found the best underfloor master to use in it was the original one…bolted right in and works like it was meant to be there.

sunbeam, anthony myrick and Tman like this.
  10. Your question is as concise as "How long is a rope?" There are a TON of variables. Bore sizes of the MC and the Calipers are important #s. You need to design the system with a MC that matches what the OEMs did. I keep a copy of the Wagner "brake bible" to match numbers. So, that said, what are your caliper bore sizes front and rear? Once we know that we can recommend the right size MC. Until then you are pissin in the wind

11. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

For reference, I'm running four wheel disc brakes on my heap (Speedy disc conversion on the front, 8.8 with factory discs). I'm using a 1" bore Corvette style master without a booster, 2# RV's front and rear, and an adjustable PV. All works well.

Dan Coburn likes this.
  12. As @Tman is saying there is way more to it, are they power or not?

13. Good point, I didn't even THINK to ask the power question since there is no way I would ever put power on one of my own rides!

14. BJR

BJR

AMC master cylinders work great under floor. They made a drum drum dual master and depending on the car and year the ports are on either side. I used one on a 47 Chev pickup.

Dan Coburn likes this.
  15. Dan Coburn

Dan Coburn
    from Kelso WA

As stated in the original post, I have read I can get away with manual brakes using a 1" bore master. The rear are stock ford explorer calipers, and the front are gm midsize calipers in the speedway conversion kit. I would like to stay manual for simplicity. I do realize I will need a residual valve.
    I like all the suggestions on brands, the Corvette may be the way to go it seems.

16. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Dan Coburn likes this.
  17. sunbeam

sunbeam

18. You still need to know what your caliper bore sizes are! That is the only way to find a correct MC

19. Dan Coburn

Dan Coburn
    from Kelso WA

2.750" front calipers
    1.875" rear. Thanks.