Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration My high school sweet heart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Glenn and Jason, The tires on the U.F.O. Were 16 : 11 Firestone dirt trackers. At the time I wanted to run a rare set of E.T. IIIs, 10 by 16 on the coupe. The only 16 inch tires I could get at the time were a few left over dirt tracks, that speedway motors still had left over. thanks! Ron...

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  2. { HAPPY VALENTINES DAY } Any one taking their sweetheart in the Hot Rod, for Valentines day? I'm taking my wife in the old delivery, to a local steak house tonight. We been married for over 40 years now. She was a sweet 16 when we got married. So tell your sweetheart that you love her, and do it in your Hot Rod. photo from 1982 and now. Ron... 738.jpg 727.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    ct1932ford, 47ragtop, Fedman and 6 others like this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Ron,
    Great timeline photos... It was only a few years after high school for us, actually after graduating from college. Who would have thought we would get married at so young an age?(and last this long...) At the time, we were still just kids...but what a time to get married and start our own lives...Wahoo...

We went out for a surprise pre-Valentine's Day lunch. We went to this new restaurant that is owned by a kid I used to know from 15 years ago. He owns two restaurants, now. Restaurants around So Cal need to be attacked around 5 pm (before would be better) on most nights. The weekends...They are backed up for hours at dinner time, so we choose the week days to celebrate something. Grilled chicken with Poblano cream sauce plus grilled veggies and rice...Oh my gosh, that was so good, we are going back next week for another round...

Junji
    Your sedan delivery fits the theme of Valentine's Day perfectly... Hot rods, sometimes you can't live with them and certainly, can't live without them...
    "Fortune Cookie Number 285..."

Bowtie Coupe and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

KOOL Thread ! 64 @16 my first car, 57 Chev, traded for 56 Chev ragtop, wrecked, 58 Edsel junked, 51 Ford sold, a few more, can't recall this AM, 58 Impala ragtop senior year of High School. We had some KOOL cars in our area all 50's/60's cars, no Hot Rods at school, but a few in neighborhood. Congrats ! On your life long romance, cars and sweety. tn.jpg my sweety, a pic of us last year, 33 years this year.​

dana barlow and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  5. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Great thread, Ron. I dig seeing regular vintage photos. I think a not-so-good picture of something we remember fondly is better than none at all, but if they can be improved upon, why not? You didn't
    mention who the lovely lady with the '57 Chevy is but I just had to try and clean it up a bit. It's
    cropped to a 4x6 size in case you're interested. I hope you don't mind my taking a crack at it...Mitch.

095.jpg

6. Thanks, That's my mother. I just have some old photo albums and my cell phone. I'd like to know how you did that. Here is one of her and myself 10 years later. 1285.jpg I don't have her anymore. But I do still have the 67 Pontiac. Ron...

7. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Ron, in answer to your question, I use a free download called Picasa. I've been using it for ten years
    now. It's not as exotic as Photo Shop but, then again, it's free. Every photo I take gets touched in
    someway by Picasa. There were no instructions when I downloaded it, I learned on the fly, but it
    was easy to do. In this particular instance I used a step called "retouch", allowing me to eliminate
    all sorts of things from the pic with a deft touch of the mouse. Even though I cropped out a very small section of the tear at the front of the car I was also able to remove the rest.

On the second photo (below) I did the same, working at each dot on Mom's dress, your slacks and the Pontiac. It took a short time but not much. I was also able to brighten it up a bit with Picasa's "I'm
    Feeling Lucky" step. I also trimmed off a little of the extraneous stuff on the sides without affecting the look and idea of the shot.

By the way, your hat looks the the lid you'd receive when you became a member of the Paul Revere &
    the Raiders fan club.

1285.jpg

8. 3340

9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Ron. When I was in high school a guy in our school had a 37 Chevy the same color of red. He got drunk and totaled it. Several of us were sick over it. I remember it still had the gasoline Southwind heater in it. I remember how it was HOT the minute you kicked it on. Thought, why did they go to hot water ?

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  10. VTjunk

VTjunk

Screenshot_2017-02-05-11-21-44-1.png
    My first car, not a hot rod, but a nice car. Girlfriend at the time took this pic.

Screenshot_2017-02-05-10-54-42-1.png
    Another girlfriend had this, which I bought from her after graduating. Still have both cars, still friends with both women, almost 30 years later

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

quick85 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  11. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy Valentines Day to my wife of 45 years this Sept. Luv ya babe! IMG_0995.JPG IMG_0177.JPG

12. Ron Brown Great pictures { Congratulations !} I'm only a few years behind you. Love the GTX. Here's a picture I took of my wife on one of our first dates, to a junkyard. lol Thanks to everyone for their pictures and stories. And hope everyone had a great Valentines day. I still have the Vette. Cars were always a good way to meet girls. ha. ha. R.F. 731.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  13. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Ron...that pic was taken on PCH1 with the Pac Ocean in the backgound. Did a trip from San Diego to the Oregon border all the way on Highway1...the GTX was a beast....one owner 440 4 sp, convert with 2 FULL fender tags....unbelievable car. it had a police option and a Dana 60 with 4 wheel disc. Ive never seen another this vintage (68) with 4 wheel disc brakes. 14k miles and still had the original redline polyester tires. Picked it up from a woman whose husband bought it fully loaded and optioned out and died 2 years later. She put it in storage, I found out about it and traded another car for it around 1990...showed it several years and, unfortunately sold it for, at the time the unbelievable amount of 20K. One of the few cars I wish I hadn't let get away. Oh yeah, concerning wives...we both hit lifes lottery 40 odd years ago. Congrats

14. Wyld Deuce

Wyld Deuce
    from ...

I had a 56 F 100 and several lady friends.
    The old 56 got me thru High school, College and then some.
    Had lots of good times in that truck.

15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Ron Enjoyed your thread. Got my 1st car in 71 a 67 428 Merc fastback. In 72 I bought a brand new Econoline van and became a vanner ! Still love them. graduated in 1973. Had a lot of high school sweethearts and a lot of hot rods over the years. Married my best friend almost 30 years ago an have had my Merc almost 20. Their both KEEPERS! :D Larry

Ron Brown and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

Almost 2 years since last post. Maybe we can find some more old pics

17. I may be a little younger, but my high school rides were a 1951 Ford pickup with a 283 and a th350, Plymouth volare front suspension, a Thrush glass packs. The other was a 1967 Camaro 327/m22 and Mickey Thompson magnesium slots. Lost the 51 in a shop fire and got broadsided in the Camaro. Still have the girl though. Prettiest little red head you ever seen. Now I have a 55 Ford customline and a bunch of parts and pieces that will be a model A pickup some day. I love the cars but they come and go. The girl, well that crazy lady keeps sticking around. How she puts up with me I'll never know. Happy Thanksgiving all.

18. verde742

verde742

AS WE SAY: Pictures or it ain't happen'ing

19. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

X2!! Very cool! I wish I still had one of my Vans...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Did you guys end up having a "shot gun" wedding???

LOL

Sorry couldn't resist...

That's a nice looking shot gun. My grandfather had a amazing vintage gun collection. It's a real shame that he had to sell it all off in his final years.

21. BrotherJames

BrotherJames

Prettiest Girl in High School, 1957 TR3 small nose...she got away, my f##$ing father sold the car when I was sleeping...said I didn't need a car at college...within 2 weeks at college had a 1949 Dodge, straight 8, could grab second gear.. 60's were fun times...

22. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

You got to be the best and coolest grandparents ever!!! Your wife still looks great, and you still have the car!!!! Wow! You sir have a good life.

23. My high school car that carried me through the last few weeks of my senior year and final exams. I hated this car but. For $175. I made the best of it.
    Spent some more on Port-a-Wall, patch panels, body filler and spray paint. Spent lots more feeding it STP to quiet down the growly main bearings. The thing didn’t have enough power to fall off a cliff. Girls hated it it smoked so bad. I was such a nerd. No girl I dated would have their picture taken beside this coal burner. My 1956 Bel Air, summer of 1964.jpg

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  24. A bump for an old thread. Your High school days, Cars, Girls, stories, ect. 311.jpg

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    AHotRod, 1low52, hotrodjack33 and 7 others like this.
  25. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Jeez Louise.... 11th Marines has smaller cannons than that thing.:eek::eek::eek:

hotrodjack33 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  26. Great picture Ron. Thanks.:)

27. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2AD27AB3-5C22-4AEE-8AD9-F5C6DFD22076.jpeg 7AB92F41-1241-4E86-BE03-078817F37FB0.jpeg EA5B5127-6984-4D43-A43F-3A4FFB3E24A6.jpeg DE7CB263-9D14-476F-B787-2401288B8476.jpeg 5 years later........just had our 50th on Sept 22........marrying this gal was the best move of my life.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my "sweetheart" was and still is my 49 Chevrolet, but the most fun was my 1969 GTO Judge Ram Air III 400, 4 speed and 3.90 posi. I knew every cop in town. 18 years old is way too stupid to have a car like that.

my actual female sweetheart weighed in at about 350 lbs by her mid 20's but I was long gone before that.. :eek:

a year out of high school I killed a DZ 302 1969 Z/28 with it. (just the car, no humans) I lost it in the rain and broadsided the Z while going about 50 completely sideways, which sent him over the center divider, knocking out a fire hydrant and he ended up in the back patio of an apartment. I can still see the girls face in the passenger seat as the door crushed in and the glass shattered. it was more than "totaled" it was completely demolished, I don't know how they did not get hurt.

I drove the GTO home and replaced a fender and the bumper and went on to terrorize the streets for a couple more years.... GOOD TIMES!o_O

29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

High school hot rod...and girlfriend.
    48a.jpg

Senior prom...we went off to different colleges...and she dumped me:( self4.jpg

College girlfriend was a keeper though...:D 0.49.jpg

...been married for 39 years:D thumbnail_IMG_20210822_123219471_HDR.jpg

30. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When 4 elementary schools feed into the local junior high school campus, it was an eye opening event. Those days were for hanging out with friends, making new friends from other schools and hoping we remain friends in high school. Now, there would be 4 junior high school campuses feeding into our local high school, which opened up a larger attendance area.

At the time, our entrance class was the largest graduating class up to that time of 1962. Here we still are, nearing 80 and remembering those early times in Long Beach and the cruising grounds of Bixby Knolls. I suppose those memories from the era keeps the old noggin active and sharp as can be, these days.

Junior high school feeding into the high school was a whole new world. We were all taller, more experienced in meeting/making new friends and of course, competing with older students for our time in the timeline. It was actually daunting as a 9th/10th grader. The whole scene was to get along with new friends, try to keep old ones and move along to see how this new high school environment would take us to new heights.
    upload_2022-10-6_3-48-51.png
    It was fun, exciting, and the hot rod world morphed into the surfing world to give us a wider range of exploration for us teenagers. It was a great combination and played quite well into the whole teenage timeline. As the new things progressed, old friends fell by the wayside as their lives were going a different way. So, the new friends in high school were the ones still lasting to today. As many as there are left of us old folks, there are a ton of stories along the way.

Jnaki

upload_2022-10-6_3-49-33.png The late teens Impala work ... Thanks, @themoose

There were many “friends” from high school that were very close and we all had our time in the day/night. But, it was not until we were a little older and much wiser that our lives came together during the hectic late 60s during the last years of college. We had to adjust to the turmoil of our whole USA scenario. What started as a wonderment of this cool looking student walking into the classroom in college, has lasted from 1966 to this day many years and adventures together.
    upload_2022-10-6_3-51-3.png
    If we could live through that time period unscathed, we must have made some strong decisions, made a lot of changes and adapted to being together forever. Which is where it stands today, even during this pandemic that is hanging around all of us. YRMV

In the exploratory teenage social scene, high school sweethearts, weren’t they all? With 4 junior high schools feeding into our high school, the sweethearts were all over the place in their white buck + two toned shoes, plaid skirts and funky square corner, button up tops. Our hot rods and cruisers had a hard time competing during this timeline...Yeow!

themoose likes this.