Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***September 2022 Banger Meet Thread - Brr Months***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Sep 1, 2022.

1. "B" careful, the "A" FAM kit has a different offset than the "B" FAM

J

Old Dawg and Stovebolt like this.
  2. Comparison A vs B
    B5D082DF-F22A-4102-8FC7-3E4E3E48CCD3.jpeg

GuyW, Old Dawg, Stovebolt and 3 others like this.
  3. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Wondering here, How much vibrations do you guys get with a the stock balanced crank in a B motor? I have heard some vibration is normal due to 3 main blocks... Cam make it worse?

My B motor has some, mid range pretty pronounced, not like it flying apart but it transmits through the steering wheel pretty good, its deff rpm related not wheel and tire. figured Id ask the masses.

Jealous of all those going to TROG. Hopefully they will get an event down here one of these days.

rebuild the steering box and got the leaks finished there, and driving it when its not hot as hell.

COUPE89.jpg

Al28ford-a, Jet96, burl and 4 others like this.
  4. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I am new to a B engine and mine has quite a vibration off idol. I don’t think it’s normal.
    I’d like to hear opinions on this as well.

winduptoy likes this.
  5. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thank you both for your replies and directions as to where to purchase these kits.

Alas, my coupe already has this particular kit installed, as it has a Model A flywheel cover up to the B block. The B model flywheel cover lower half was removed to allow the A flywheel cover to be fitted.

The one I am after is slightly different, as it suits a B model flywheel cover, which I believe is 5/16" narrower than the A flywheel cover, and it has a different bolt pattern.

Dustyp489 and winduptoy like this.
  6. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

A Southern TROG, now that would be something! Maybe someday...

7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

If I cannot locate one, is there any chance I could get you to measure it up for me, so I can make one?

8. More than likely
    Just let me know
    J

Stovebolt likes this.
  9. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Back on the Burtz for me. Ready to get Bored .060" over.

burtz sept 22.jpg

Jet96, Dustyp489, winduptoy and 8 others like this.
  10. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

It’s really a thing of beauty. I’d like to keep my Model B with a Model B engine.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    Dustyp489 and stubbsrodandcustom like this.
  11. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

How was the clearances for bearings etc? Ive heard there was some issues there from some others.

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

All good. I have only heard of two instances with clearance issues One of those was assembly error. I follow a couple groups on social media that are Burtz focused. Far more problem free builds then builds with issues.

winduptoy, Stovebolt, G Baese and 4 others like this.
  13. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

Boring a std block .060 over ???? Ouch!

51 mercules likes this.
  14. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

@Stovebolt you could make your own out of a section of I-beam. I seem to recall there was an article on making them in one of the Model A club publications.

Stovebolt likes this.
  15. AZ_Nick

AZ_Nick

Finally getting back to my bitsa speedster project. 32 motor and gearbox with quickchange rear mocked up. Now I can finally measure and shorten the torque tube.

Attached Files:

Jet96, Old Dawg, Dustyp489 and 3 others like this.
  16. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

The clearances on my engine ( Ser # 0059) were fine. Rods & mains were .001-.0015, crank shaft endplay set to .003, timing gear backlash .004. We just returned from a 1,000+ mile tour through the Rocky Mountains, driving from Alamosa (Colorado) to Windsor, 302 miles, in 6 hours and 7 minutes, including our gas stops. We also went over Poncha Pass (9,010), Fremont Pass (11,319) and through Johnson Tunnel (11,158), along with the hassle of Denver traffic. We live about 30 miles from Rocky Mountain National Park, and do a lot of mountain driving.
    Additionally, our Victoria completed the 2021 Great Race, over 3000 miles. The engine now has over 8,000 trouble free miles. I would recommend the Burtz Engine for all Model A enthusiasts, regardless of how they use their Model A.

40 Olds, Jet96, Old Dawg and 8 others like this.
  17. GuyW

GuyW

RPM Nationals this next weekend at Santa Margarita. I hope the participation is better than last weekend's FAST event. I'm NOT trashing FAST (I sent my dues last month) but I had a long drive from Escondido. There were some beautiful (OHV) bangers and cars in attendance.

Jet96 and Old Dawg like this.
  18. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Just checking in really - paint has been my "thing" the past 3 weeks first weekend was a 3 day festival so etch primered everything. Home for 3 days so painted stuff and ordered metal to make my bits to keep the A steering column and box and wheel ,but no advance lever or throttle. Last weekend was at the hot rod drags now just home so got to tidy everything up , wait on my new Harley being delivered and if the weather is good tomorrow I will photograph all my brackets for the 32 engine/gearbox into a 1930 .

19. callcoy

callcoy

Land Speed Records The beginning years

I just finished a book that may be of interest to some of you. the title is The Fast Set, written by the British author Charles Jennings from Little-Brown div. Time Warner 2004. It cornicles how International recognized Land Speed Records were established starting in the 20's and follows a number of the first owner/drivers that established the records .Owner/Drivers Campbell, Eyston, Cobb and many more, along with Brooklands and Pendine Sands race courses, are covered. As they out grew their courses, they moved to Daytona and then to Bonneville, did you know that Campbell tried to establish a course on a dry lake in South Africa. The book can be found on Amazon, $17.00 hard back and $4.00 paperback. Very little of American efforts is covered and what is, is sketchy!

20. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Gotta quick banger question. Will any parts off an 8n tractor motor fit on an A block? Got the motor cause it looks like the trans adapter will work to a v8 3 speed, but wondering about the internals. Was told it was the same motor as in a truck they made for one year only and this was from said truck.

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

No, the 8n engine is more a kin to the v-8 engine.

Old Dawg likes this.
  22. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Kinda what I was thinking looking at pics. Thanks Dan

Dustyp489 and Crazydaddyo like this.
  23. I think CDO is right, at least my 8n is nothing like a Model A/B.
    Unless someone put a Mod A into the 8n. there have been many v8 conversions over the years.

John

Old Dawg and Crazydaddyo like this.
  24. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

8n is more of a half a flathead v8.

ottoman, Old Dawg and Crazydaddyo like this.
  25. I feel that I ought to apologize on behalf the San Luis Obispo based Santa Margarita Time Trials organizing Committee. The leadership had literally come apart earlier in the year; resulting in little notice and preplanning for the event. Not many folks including participants and spectators showed up. F.A.S.T. sanctioned the event through the insurance. John Cammack and Bob Miller part of the new F.A.S.T. organization brought cars; but had no hand in the organization (and had not been expected to) . John turned the best e.t. for a 1/10th of a mile at 7.92. This was the fastest time we had ever seen at Santa Margarita. Bob Miller was a close 2nd. I'll go watch he RPM event. They can draw a crowd; but nobody knows he times and speeds!

Jet96, GuyW and johnneilson like this.
  26. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

I was planning on doing a compression test and leak down. After pulling the plugs I don’t know if should even bother.
    F764AA26-EEAD-4D06-9E47-521475446BB4.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    BeaverMatt likes this.
  27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

a lot of oil

28. callcoy

callcoy

Dan
    I have looked at 3 Burtz blocks and can not remember if the exhaust seats are the only one with hard seats is that the case?
    Thank You
    Steve

29. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

Only the Exhaust Valve Seats were hardened on my Burtz block, Ser # 0059.

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  30. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, only exhaust have hard seats...though I'm not Dan

Crazydaddyo likes this.