Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Is this dying out, what's next?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SDS, Sep 25, 2022.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

This is one of those subjects that really doesn’t have a definitive answer. It’s a culmination of things.
    • Gas prices are keeping people home.
    • The average age of a street rodder/hotrodder is probably 75.
    • Young kids have no need to drive. They socialize from the couch on their phone.
    • Prices to build a hot rod keep kids or young families out of the hobby. The traditional movement helped with this, until it became the latest rage, then all the old stuff people used to cast off, became gold.
    • Interest in the hobby is shrinking based on the generations aging. When I was in high school muscle cars were the rage. I’m 54, so reliving your youth in your 30’s means you want your old high school ride……that would put you in the range of 2005 Civic.

Carter, clem, Rand Man and 16 others like this.
  2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I can go to a bunch of car shows on any given weekend. There are a lot of them. I don't know about dying out but I do know that it costs money to drive any place. Inflation is sky high and people want to keep their money where it belongs for groceries and such.

3. safetythird

safetythird

I can tell from your avatar that you have impeccable taste in cars.

caprockfabshop likes this.
  4. I think there are several factors at work here.

First the lawn chair fairgrounds events are dying and being replaced by driving and racing events.

Why would I want to go to event were someone who just wrote a check to have a car built is going to bash on every car that doesn't have a $20,000 paint job? Who is going stand on a soap box and tell everyone with a period correct car how wrong it is and how wrong they are because he was six years old in 1959 and knows how hot rods in the fifties were built!

I would much rather go to a real hot rod event be it a reliability run or a race with real hot rodders and racers. Whether they are young guys like myself (40), people my dad's age (mid 70s) or the real deal hot rodders and racers who did it in the post war era, that are going to come over and talk about hot rods and my car help out point out things that could be improved.

Next the people with cars are building not buying parts. The only brand new parts in my build are safety, internal engine parts, springs shocks and kingpins everything in my car was built in was built in my 24' x 24' garage.

Look at events like The Race of Gentleman every year it gets bigger every year and more vintage racing events are popping up every year

Weekly oval track racing gets fewer and fewer cars every year, however my club The Mohawk Valley Vintage Dirt Modifieds keeps getting bigger!

Three years ago there were a total of 13 cars in three divisions, our last points race of the year we had 40 over three divisions! With at least three more cars being built for time year.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    Rand Man, dogwalkin, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Goodguys August show in Pleasanton was down as well. everyone has less money now, and the less you make the more it affects a person.

the future scares the shit out of me, I am glad I am not 20 years old anymore.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how did Santa Maria do this year? ... or did they even have it?

7. Mr Palmer
    Your description of the sartorial excesses of we older fellas described a lot of people who built the “scene” you seem to venerate. Next time you encounter those cars that they have had built, try looking for some details to compliment their cars on be a nice guy. Leave the fashion critique to the ladies. Dork.

8. Santa Maria was pretty big. Hotels downtown were sold out. I had one of the very few hot rods there. Lots of bombs and lots of leadsleds. I had fun.

Tman, 49ratfink, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

It’s just a matter of time until the guys with the cash infiltrate the era of the TROG builds and the parts will skyrocket. People will have to have period correct goggles and $300 dungarees to fit the mold.

They do it to everything that people deem cool. Vintage magnesium used to be dirt cheap because no one wanted to polish it, then the period correct police crept into traditional rodding, telling people what they should and shouldn’t use. Guys collect rare parts like Boy Scout patches.

I’ll be glad when 1980’s AMC Concords are all the rage.

Tman, Nobey, texasred and 11 others like this.
  10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I see folks with garages full of old parts never opened, piled up all over the place. It seems kind of sad that they sit in some dark corner for years instead of being out giving somebody enjoyment. I don't like to have things I never use and usually give it away. I guess Im getting soft in my old age.

I had an Automatic Radio 8 track tape player with FM that was given to me. It was real nice looking, still in the box. The box had a Corvette and was real nice looking. I was selling it for fifty bucks.
    I put it out every Friday at this one car cruse I went to. Lots of folks looked but nobody wanted it except for this one guy in work clothes who looked at it then smiled and walked away. I saw him down at the concession stand with his five kids buying them dinner. Here's a guy who loves old cars but can't have one. The next week he picked the tape player up and looked at it. I said do you have an old car he said not yet. I said why not take it with you to keep. I can't use it, I listen to old people's music on AM besides I like the reverb my car came with. He looked at my car and I said it took me 25 years of schools, clothes, shoes, doctors, braces twice, birthday partys ever two weeks it seemed, he busted out laughing at that one. Just then my daughter showed up in her Mitsubishi Turbo Lancer with grandson number 1. I interduced them to him and that dude shook my hand with a smile on his face as he walked away with a snap in his step looking at that 8 track..
    This is what this is all about for me.

11. There’s some shows around here that don’t start until 9pm.
    they often cruise into these events from various locations in groups.
    The majority are under 40
    My local news has had several reports on “youths and street racing” in the news lately.
    The car hobby is changing back to its beginnings. Young folks building what they can and old folks complaining.
    Gen X me watching millennials, gen Zers and boomers flip each other off is entertaining

joined a few FB pages the past couple years. The number of builds and quality is impressive. I see very few if any of these shows/events promoted anywhere. I have to google to find dates and locations.

The hobby is probably shrinking as viewed through the narrow scope of this place. (Not a dig) That’s how I understand this place was designed.
    Outside the scope here, I don’t see the “doom and gloom”
    All groups have been affected by pandemic, supply and inflation issues.
    I drove mine yesterday with a big ole grin

Driver50x, Tow Truck Tom, Tim and 5 others like this.
  12. As far as the check writers, those guys funded a lot of the junk I drive. As a pro shop refugee, I’m glad those guys exist so builders can enjoy a hobby as an occupation.

Barn Hunter, Tman, Driver50x and 6 others like this.
  13. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

We're all getting older, disposable income is not what it was just a couple years ago, and the youth of today is just not as interested as we were.
    I'm not knocking the younger crowd, it's tough for them. Beaters we used to build Hot Rods out of cost a fortune now. Can you imagine having to buy all your tools and equipment at today's prices?
    Another thing I noticed. There are so many events in my area, you can't possibly hit them all. Maybe they are diluting each other.

14. The younger generation, myself included, are more interested in driving or competing with our cars than showing up and power parking. We will continue to see the decline of those types of events and continue to see things like TROG, RPM Nationals, Hot Rod Hill Climb, etc continue to grow.

The other thing is, it's hard and expensive to build a hot rod. Gone are the days of 39 transmissions sitting in junk yards. You can't go buy a model A for 25 bucks from the little old lady on the corner. It takes resources that a lot of younger guys don't have access to. Let's face it, most guys my age are more worried about if they can afford to buy a house for their family. You older guys had a lot more disposable income available to you in your younger years than we younger guys do now. I don't need to get into the political side of it. But it's true. I'm not saying you guys had it easy. Just times are different now. I know plenty of guys who are in their late 30's-early 40's and they can just now afford to start building something. And they are.

Carter, Elcohaulic, lemondana and 7 others like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We still have a whole lot of small events out this way.

The trouble is, for me anyways, is that a whole lot of them are 7am-11am on weekends.

I am lucky to be awake by 11am on the weekend.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's true, and not at all political, just economic truths.

In my entire 52-years on this planet, wages have been stagnant, or falling. Buying power has been falling, and has only been offset by shipping the manufacturing of common consumer goods overseas.

$1 just does not go as far, and a whole lot of younger folks will never be able to retire, or ever own a home.

The only way that I am able to build anything is that, in addition to my professional employment and side-hustle, my wife is a luxury real estate agent, we have no children, and our daily-drivers are 11, and 16-years-old, respectively.

Carter, safetythird, Tman and 5 others like this.
  17. twenty8

twenty8

Along with the other reasons put forward, you probably should also take the following into account.
    Current figures show that roughly 1 in 317 people have died from Covid-19 in the US since the start of 2020.
    I think a lot of people are wary of large gatherings, and will be for some time to come.
    Not ideal, just the way it is........

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also, of what remains for parts in the world, much is hoarded-up in collections that are destined to make a post mortem trip to the scrapper.

This makes parts harder to get, and drives up the prices of the remainder.

If anything kills this hobby, it is likely to be parts gatekeeping. There are far too many people flat-out blocking potential builds out of hubris, or outright pathology.

You cannot both hoard parts, and lament the demise of the hobby.

BJR, safetythird, buddyamigo and 15 others like this.
  19. hepme

hepme

Damm right! I puke when i see $35-40 "registration fees" for a "charity" car show where 90% of the fee goes to "administration and insurance costs". Seems like every school, church, car repair place, restaurant, etc. has one. For the money invested in our cars, they ought to pay us to bring 'em. Don't we have insurance, registration, maintenance, storage, etc. costs also? If more of us flat stopped supporting these vultures, their "car shows" can have the 2000 up "classics". I could care less what Karen, her hubby and brats think of my "old car".

20. Country Joe

Country Joe

My dad passed away last Sunday and I have these three to unload. I really hope some youngins are still into the scene.
    736173_10200131331085722_987734706_o.jpg 271136843_5029889167023169_7991790340092312924_n.jpg View attachment 5523595

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That was NEVER the case with NSRA. I don't know what you're remembering, but I've been an NSRA member, on and off, for 45 years.

22. twenty8

twenty8

I think you are missing a very important point. There is a spectrum of types of car shows, and hopefully there always will be. Some should be events where anyone can turn up and participate in driving and other activities. Others should be showcases of the pinnacle cars that are out there, the ones that deserve the accolades. A thriving hot rod/custom scene will cater to all aspects of the hobby, and the individual can chose at what level they wish to participate. Maybe you are going to the wrong type of shows???

I don't know how broad your horizons are, but let me ask you a question that might get my point across.
    If you were to go to spectate at the Olympic Games, would you want to see the world's best, or would you be happy with watching any Tom, Dick, or Harry that wanted to just have a little run around???

I can't afford to have a show-class car. Not even close. Probably never will, and that's ok. But I sure am glad that they are out there to inspire me.

23. I have alway said there are rich guy with cars and there are rich guy cars.

A rich guy with cars does it just to impess his friends today his collecting cars tomorrow he will his collection and buy antique art work in a few years the art work will be sold off to buy vintage marital aids if that is what deemed cool by the unwashed massed.

Were a rich guy with car is like the get their hands dirty, there is grease under there finger nails just with way more money.

One of the fastest and nicest guys in our club is a multi millionaire but worked damn hard for his money and has a long family history in auto racing.

We have had a couple of the first type- rich guys with cars try to run with the club, but racing isn't like sitting behind a car at the fairgrounds.

A racecar requires consent maintenance to keep on the track plus the work involved to improve it's handling and speed.

Once these people see how much work racing is and that being a rich guy with a race car the putters around the back doesn't lend it's self to being cool they quickly bailed out.

tractorguy likes this.
  24. twenty8

twenty8

25. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Edit: I'm saying I didn't drive around, I'm just saying I didn't drive around, or go fast enough. ;)
    5D7622F3-D1E9-4566-86F6-AC6149F8D732.jpeg CA0195BB-C741-4001-AEA6-03B000492643.jpeg
    I had the same feeling at Kalamazoo's Nat's North a week ago. Friday you could have shot a cannon off through the parking/display lots on either side of the events building and not hit a soul. Saturday there were more, but the numbers were dismal, just over 1200 cars. Venders were largely ABSENT, aside from the mobility scooter rental. I would say at least 10-20% of the participants were on scooters. Don't get me wrong, I'm no kid, and I'm glad there are people my age and older who are still able to even drive, but there are for m ore people on scooters than 20-30 year olds. It used to be one of my favorite things to do at NSRA and GoodGuys events to "cruise" the fairgrounds, and that was encouraged, but you cannot now because the place (at least Kalamazoo) is so clogged with octogenarians on scooters it's impossible.
    The swap meet was embarrassing. I went to the Gilmore Museum's "Model A Day" Saturday morning, there had to be over 300 Model A's there, and nearly as many swap meet vendors as Kalamazoo. And, it was more fun, and the people were much friendlier, I had several offers to "fix" my car. :p
    There were MAYBE half dozen inside vendors, in one room, where 10 years ago all three big halls were filled to capacity. This year one room was occupied by "Women's World", which like being dragged through the Etsy site, and one filled with cheap off-shore tools and flea market junk. Outside the only "real" one was Brookville, and I never saw anyone at their trailer.
    I debated going, vs. going to the east side of the state a vintage drag event, but I'd not had the roadster more then 10 miles from home, I didn't want to trailer it, and not having planned, had no motel or place to stay. It's the last NSRA event I'll be attending, not out of animosity, but it's just no fun. Next year I'm racing, the kinks are pretty much ironed out of the roadster, the interior will be finished, and I'll plan ahead.
    I like someones comment about setting in a lawn chair wearing tube socks and shorts behind their cars, there were couples in their 70's doing just that under easy ups in nearly empty parking lots all weekend. It IS sad, when I think back to how these events were in the 70's, 80's and 90's. What has happened is we got OLD, and NSRA is still doing the same thing they did to please the same people that came 40 years ago, who no longer can do the things they used to do.
    The hobby is changing, we as participants can either change and adapt, or, like NSRA and GoodGuys, keep making the same mistakes over and over, and wondering why we get the same results.

26. Santa Maria- 17 vs Templeton-21
    They are 2-4 on the season. :)

Tman, Algoma56 and winduptoy like this.
  27. Why does anything have to stay the same?
    Why does this hobby have to last forever?
    Why do our children have to share the same interests as us?
    Why are cars worth lamenting over?
    Why is the future worth worrying about?
    Have any you guys seen my keys lately?
    Oooohhh, pie. Mmmmmmm

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    curbspeed, clem, 60 Special and 14 others like this.
  28. I am very confused by this statement, why do you assume the best people are competing at the Olympics? (Personally, I can't stand ball and stick actives)

Many times the best people don't get the right breaks or simpley don't want to compete on that level.

I will use auto racing as an example Richie Evans is the best NASCAR modified driver of all time nine NASCAR National Modified including eight in a row from 1978 to 1985.

He won the Super Speedway Modified race at Daytona several time running aganist the best NASCAR Grand National drivers at the time.

Richard Petty said "If Richie had wanted to he could have been great in Grand National/Cup"

However in that era Richie would have had to run his own equipment and spend his in Cup to try to prove himself to get a ride and could have easily run him out of money long before his got a top notch ride.

To quote Bobby Hamilton (NASCAR Winston Cup driver) "The best racecar driver is driving a street stock somewhere"

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    jvo likes this.
  29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's funny, right there, I don't care who ya are. :p:p:p:p

30. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that, as a group, "car people" are not that cautious, or even acknowledge, that communicable diseases are a real thing. I'm not say'n, I'm just say'n...:rolleyes: