Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Tether Cars

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Lepus

Lepus

Let us know what speed it gets to.

lurker mick and Deuces like this.
  2. I love Lepus' Thimbledrome, great workmanship. Here's a custom Thimbledrome I acquired a while back.
    Like Lepus, whoever built this car did a wonderful job. It's had the headrest removed, custom grille, front end, rear nerf bar, dash etc. Powered by a Fox 15.

Mick
    CustomThimbledrome.jpg CustomThimbledrome2.jpg CustomThimbledrome6.jpg CustomThimbledrome8.jpg CustomThimbledrome4.jpg

Okie Pete, Fordors, kyrbz and 7 others like this.
  3. Lepus

Lepus

Mick, That's cool. Are both rear wheels powered, or does the right rear just spin on a bearing?

4. Only the left rear wheel is powered. The pictures don't do the car justice. I just wish I knew who built it so I could give them credit. It's really a neat little car.

Mick

Deuces likes this.
  5. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

A video of this weekends event at Whittier Narrows track

Okie Pete, rod1, GuyW and 6 others like this.
  6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I took a 1st in class4, and a 3rd in class 3

AMRCA Nats 2022.jpg

Okie Pete, A Boner, Fordors and 8 others like this.
  7. Congratulations! Did you take any photos of the meet or where you too busy racing. I would really like to get to one of the races.

Mick

EL MOE likes this.
  8. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

20220924_134045.jpg I was too busy to take pictures. here are some I got from a friend.

AMRCA Nats 2022 1.jpg AMRCA Nats 2022.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  9. Lepus

Lepus

I started work on my frog. the first photo is the setup to mill the top surfaces of the bosses that the motor and axle mount will bolt to. Sometimes it takes an hour to set up a job that takes 3 minutes to cut 029.JPG measuring the mounting hole locations on the granite table 001.JPG The gage pin under the front of the car is there because the front is .08" narrower than the back. Also,an O&R sprite car I got at Hershey last week. cars.JPG

Okie Pete, Fordors, rod1 and 7 others like this.
  10. Rick J

Rick J

Not what I had hoped, but not an utter failure either. In a practice run the week before the race, it hit 100 mph. I wasn't present for that run. At the actual race, the first run was a failure, as the engine cut out just as it was gaining speed. The second run, the car would not accelerate past about 35 mph for what seemed like 6 or 8 laps. I wanted an official time sheet, so I went ahead and started the lap timer. You get 8 timed laps. After hitting the timer, the car began accelerating and achieved about 75 mph before the 8 laps ran out.

I found out afterwards that the during the test run, the fuel cutoff didn't work and so the motor may have overheated and might need a rebuild. If I do it again, I'll be better prepared with all tools and parts needed to rebuild the engine at the race. It was a learning experience.

11. Lepus

Lepus

I am slowly getting work done on the Frog. The engine/axle mount is almost done. I got the bearings on Ebay from 2 different surplus dealers to save a little money. next I'll turn retaining ring grooves in the bearing holes, and then hone them to a nice snug fit. I made a new finned crank case cover for the engine to replace the original one that holds the small gas tank, since I will make a large tank 006.JPG for the car. 005.JPG

Okie Pete, Toms Dogs, Fordors and 7 others like this.
  12. Rick J

Rick J

I've expanded my collection to include representation from the UK.
    I'm happy to have a M&E Wasp, straight out of London. I put a wanted ad in OnTheWire and a sympathetic gentleman offered to sell me the car seen below. It was complete, with the exception of the left front wheel. Fortunately, the owner happens to be a tool and die maker and he replicated a new wheel for it. I received it with some work needing to be done. The original seat back was there, but I had to make a matching seat bottom. The original color was red, as can be seen in the pictures, so I painted it a matching shade. Originally there would have been some spring clips to secure the hood, but these were long gone so I used a bit of leather strap. I wanted the original M&E decal, which had been stripped along with the paint by a past owner, so I found a company online that does custom waterslide decals. I think it came out pretty good!

M&E Wasp.JPG M&E Wasp (18).JPG M&E Wasp (6).JPG M&E Wasp (2).JPG 20230219_135234.jpg 20230219_135210.jpg

13. Your M&E turned out great.

Did you receive my e-mail a while back in reference to your Speed Chief?

Mick

14. Rick J

Rick J

Hey Mick, no I didn't see your email. Try again please. RJ1AZ at aol dot com

15. Rick J

Rick J

I've had this Dooling Mercury RWD for several years. Custom cast nose piece and professionally painted and lettered, it was in need of some spectacular wheels to match the quality of the paint job. I had Chris Garcia build a set of spoked wheels for me last year and I finally got them painted and installed before taking this car to the Sabbatini Collecto this year. The third pic is from the dinner show-and-tell the night before the collecto. You may notice I also brought the car in my profile pic.

20230201_153819.jpg 20230211_144432.jpg
    IMG_2206.jpg

Okie Pete, Fordors, 35cab and 9 others like this.
  16. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Wow, worthy of Barrett Jackson, Fine craftsmanship.

jim

Rick J likes this.
  17. Lepus

Lepus

frog.JPG An update on the Frog. The engine mount is done. I got a roll of .071 diameter music wire,and made springs for the front suspension. There is an extra spring, and the bending jig in the car. I got the hardened gears from Stock Drive Products. ($208) Next will be a curved exhaust pipe, to go out the opening in the bottom, a gas tank, a flywheel, and a plate to mount the batteries and coil.

Okie Pete, Fordors, gounthar and 6 others like this.
  18. Kurtis Kraft

Kurtis Kraft
    from SoCal

Mick do you still have this car! upload_2023-4-22_20-7-13.png

Okie Pete, Fordors, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  19. Lepus

Lepus

I went to the big tether car, boat, and plane, real car, model engine, and hit or miss engine auction in Frederick, MD, last weekend. I didn't buy much (sticker shock). This was all owned by one guy. 009.JPG 011.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG 016.JPG 018.JPG 019.JPG 020.JPG 022.JPG 023.JPG

Okie Pete, Nobey, Fordors and 7 others like this.
  20. Lepus

Lepus

Some more. The first photo is the actual engine that Bill Brown (of Brown Jr. engines) built in high school. I think it went for about $4,000. The last 2 cars were my favorites at the auction. 003.JPG 004.JPG 001.JPG 008.JPG 012.JPG 010.JPG 013.JPG

Okie Pete, A Boner, Nobey and 9 others like this.
  21. Lepus

Lepus

My small haul: a Brown Jr. engine, for when I make a 30s prototype style car, a Super Cyclone, a Hornet, a cut-away display Ohlson and Rice, 3 trophies, and a photo 005.JPG 006.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

Okie Pete, A Boner, Toms Dogs and 7 others like this.
  22. Rick J

Rick J

Would've loved to have been there! Do you know what the Matthews tear drop car went for?

23. Lepus

Lepus

Rick, sorry I don't remember, but the 1899 DeDion Bouton trike went for $137,000 plus 12% commission.

Rick J likes this.
  24. Lepus

Lepus

I finished the exhaust for the Frog. I machined the base from a scrap of stainless, and the sides are .025 stainless sheet. I made a mock-up with paper first, then cut the sheet on the waterjet, then curved the wider pieces over some round stock, and shaped the compound curves in the side pieces by hand to start, then with pliers. Then I cut the sides to thier final shapes, and a friend I work with tig welded it for me. It has an ess curve in it because the engine is off center in the car. I did the half-assed engine turning with a piece of round Cratex held in a drill press, and eye balling where to press the exhaust against it. Not much of it shows when it's in the car, so it's fine. I've started making dies to make the hubcaps ( I guess that's what they might be called). Mine are scraped and dented. 001.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG

Okie Pete, Fordors, Rick J and 5 others like this.
  25. Lepus

Lepus

013.JPG 014.JPG I made the dies for the hubcaps for the Frog. they are made of Vascomax 300 maraging steel. I need to get them hardened, then i will cut out disks of .025 thick stainless, and see how they work. If it works, I"ll probably make sets to sell. I'm also waiting for a Real McCoy mite car that I just bought at auction.

26. Lepus

Lepus

I made some more parts for the Frog. I made them to fit the mounting holes that are already in the body of the car. The gas tank is milled out of brass, with .03 thick walls and a small shoulder at the top that the lid will be silver soldered into. I'll drill holes for the supply line, and the filler tubes, and solder it all at once. I bought a small hardware cabinet at a yard sale that has some bearings that will come in handy for future projects, and 5 old electric switches, 2 of which work. They have a short lever with a knob on the end that catches the upright wire just right. The last photo is my new Real McCoy. If anyone knows where I can buy some new tires for it, please let me know. I plan on cleaning it up and running it. 005.JPG 006.JPG 011.JPG 055.JPG

Okie Pete, sky king, A Boner and 8 others like this.
  27. sky king

sky king

Lepus nice work on your frog. Workmanship is outstanding. Looking forward to up dates.

28. sky king

sky king

Sold this car last week. Heavily modified back in the day Dooling rear drive. Can't keep them all.
    IMG_4359.JPG
    IMG_4364.JPG

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
    Okie Pete, Deuces, EL MOE and 3 others like this.