Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dolphin Gauges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobkatrods, Sep 24, 2022.

1. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

What is the general consensus with Dolphin gauges good or bad? Have always used autometer or classic which are much more
    expensive

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Read reviews will tell the tale I imagine.

3. I used them on a boat a few years ago 4 /12 cly motors with set of gauges on each motor and a set each motor on the bridge . I never got them all to work not a lot of help from their techs . The guy took off with the boat before I got it fixed.
    I would not use them again.

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

They look goofy. Just my opinion.

5. I agree. The sweep hands look like they belong on a clock!

kadillackid, wvenfield and da34guy like this.
  6. I cannot stand them - goofy by name

3AMideaz and da34guy like this.
  7. Well, they're called Dolphin and have Dolphin written on them.

Moriarity likes this.
  8. chopped

chopped

All the cool guys like to knock them, I never had a problem with mine.

9. What does a fish have 2 do with a hot rod ???? Asking for a friend

10. Well, they did not work on the tuna boat !

11. 5window

5window

I never trust the reviews. I don't know any of those people or what axe they have to grind besides lurking on review sites. Now, the HAMB might be a bit different, but there still isn't much much help- a few reviews compared to the 1000s of units Dolphin has sold over the years. They're still around so that says something

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  12. wvenfield

wvenfield

A ton of people have used them. I've not heard anyone complain about the quality.

I just don't think they look right. Now I would think someone could modify them and have a decent set of gauges.

Again, only my opinion.

'28phonebooth likes this.
  13. 5window

5window

C
    Can't argue with personal taste. I, personally, prefer black gauges with white characters in a classic font

bobkatrods and wvenfield like this.
  14. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

My thoughts also. I have seen them at some of the rod runs and asked the owners who actually have them in their car, most of them don't have a lot bad to say about them

15. Somebody has to be last. :cool:

I actually bought 2 of their tachs but I can't comment on the quality because I never wired them up. They probably are using 'clock hands' for the pointers because they cost them 2 for a penny. But the graphics are fine with me. I like the retro look of their 'Vintage" style. The thing was, I have an older cast gauge pod that I want to use and Dolphin has a mini-sized tach that sort of fits but it has a 10K sweep which got to be a little too weird for me. I went another way and dumped the Dolphin tachs on the 'bay.

bobkatrods likes this.
  16. safetythird

safetythird

So you can tuna car.

I had a set in my squished Falcon. They seemed fine, but apparently can't tell you when a tree is about to fall.

I think fine is about all I have to say, really. Nothing seemed terrible, but not noteworthy, either. YMMV.

5window and chopped like this.
  17. "You can tuna fish, but you can't tune-a-Ford!"
    :p

18. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Same here. I never had a problem with my Dolphin gauges. But, I'm not as cool as the Dolphin haters...

ffr1222k and chopped like this.
  19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Dolphins are not fish. They're mammals. So, to answer your "friend", humans are also mammals but who drive cars with dolphin gauges.

Moedog07, Ned Ludd, da34guy and 3 others like this.
  20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

As I said read the reviews. ^^^:)

da34guy likes this.
  21. 15+ years ago they were junk. We had a HORRIBLE customer bring some in for a car we were doing for him. They looked super cheesy and work about as well. But now, many of the AD guys use them with good success.

kadillackid likes this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I can't imagine anyone using them if they care anything about their car being period correct to the era that the Hamb focuses on....

23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So is the Hoffman Group. Just saying.

Ned Ludd, '28phonebooth and X38 like this.
  24. A Boner

A Boner

25. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

They are part of Hoffman Group....

26. I have had them in my Cutlass for 19 years with no complaints.

27. jaracer

jaracer

A buddy bought a project that someone else had started. It came with a new set of Dolphin gauges still in the box. He finished the project and started having gauge problems. The temperature gauge was all over the place, the speedo was very inaccurate and because of this, he didn't trust the other gauges. A number of calls to Dolphin finally came up with the diagnosis that they were stored on their back too long and lost some of the viscous fluid that dampens the mechanism. His car now has a new set of gauges that are not Dolphin.

28. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

Have a set in my Ol' Furd F100. Seem to work OK. Although the gas gauge seems to move a lot faster than I'd like. I don't really care if someone else doesn't like 'em or not. I really don't buy stuff to please people I don't know.
    Although I would have liked "name brand" gauges, I just couldn't justify the cost of a set of Stewart Warners, AutoMeter and Dakota.

29. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Not part of the Hoffman group, Aurora gauges are. In any case not traditional as Moriarity has stated.

kadillackid and Moriarity like this.