Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Adventure of a Boy and His Edsel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Oct 4, 2021.

1. 41 GMC K-18 and Dos Cincos like this.
  2. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

It’s definitely up there with the 60s convertibles and wagons.

but pinky is way more fun. Drive it around and not have to worry about rock chips and stuff. Also funner bringing a car back up to drivability.

3. No kidding on the “way more fun” comment. I have learned that I have infinitely more fun with these old cars when they can be daily driven and not worried about messing something up as compared to a really nice car that is mainly good for car shows. There are times when I have considered making something real nice again, but then I am reminded how much more fun beaters are. :cool:

4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

guthriesmith likes this.
  5. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Got to thinking???? Do you think the plugged tranny vent could be also causing the slipping? Maybe trying to mix air with the fluid?

6. Not sure. It actually seems to be working pretty good now. And, I got my other sons car off the lift, so hopefully we can check it out this weekend. We have a list of small things to do to pinky before our Hot Rod Hundred next Saturday and the Gathering at the Roc the following weekend.

Okie Pete, Tim and Sancho like this.
  7. Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  8. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

That one might have saved Edsel!

Oh, well. Maybe not.

bobss396 and guthriesmith like this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

Does nobody read the link?

A unique vision of what could have been, this car was built as a 1959 Edsel version of Ford’s famous Skyliner retractable hardtop. Based upon a Fairlane 500 Galaxie’s structure, it was extensively rebuilt to a highly professional, factory-correct standard, with the rear of the body reshaped to accommodate Edsel taillights, tailfins, “continental kit,” and trim hardware, and the interior finished in correct 1959 Edsel trim and hardware, including the full Edsel dashboard and factory air conditioning. Extensive hand-workmanship was used throughout to blend all of the components together, resulting in a car that looks as if it could have been done by the factory, with superb fit and finish. Under the hood can be found a 303-hp, 361-cu. in. Super Express V-8 and DualDrive automatic transmission, the most desirable powertrain combination in any 1959 Edsel. Thanks to the excellent maintenance during its time in the Calumet Collection, the car runs and drives well, and the retractable hardtop has been serviced to function as new.

drdave, SS327, Budget36 and 6 others like this.
  10. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

...and the undercarriage naps are longer !

bobss396 and guthriesmith like this.
  11. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Link !! Uhhmm uuhhh dduuhh I ate em for breakfast !

winduptoy, Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  12. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

A fine job with safety in mind also . That's the way to do it !

guthriesmith likes this.
  13. You can probably safely read a little between the lines as well. If Ford had even the slightest hopes of building a production model Edsel retractable, it would have likely been based on the 1958 model.

Over their few years as a Ford model the Skyliner was a halo car, never sold in large numbers and likely never returned a profit on Ford's investment. Mid-way thru the 1958 model year Ford also sadly realized that it's newly launched Edsel division was in the same predicament.

Rather than building an expensive, flashy, new '59 Edsel prototype model, it would make more sense for them to start "de-contenting" the '58 model line. Which is what it seems like they did, paring the bloated '58 Edsel model line-up down to a more manageable and profitable size. More like the Ford and Mercury models on which they were based. And still too little, too late.

arkiehotrods, Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  14. Finally got around to trying to figure out why the transmission is puking out the dipstick. It’s not a plugged vent. And, they gave us the wrong pan gasket at the parts store, so we didn’t pull that yet. Oh, and had to pull one of the tires off to get a hole fixed. Nothing like the last minute to get it ready for our reliability run coming up Saturday. :oops:

Anyone have any other ideas what might make one of these two speed Fordomatics puke fluid every once in a while like this is doing? Maybe the screen/filter is plugged and it builds pressure for some reason?!?! Other than puking, it seems to be working fine.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  15. On the TH400 in my coupe if I fill it up to full on the dipstick it pukes out the vent until it’s a quart low on the dipstick then it’s happy.

Did you fill it up recently? Maybe it’s overfull.

LWEL9226, Thor1, Bruce A Lyke and 2 others like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

What Dan said

guthriesmith likes this.
  17. Hmm...wondering if that isn’t our issue here as well. This wasn’t a problem before the motor swap and we have been trying to make sure it stays full on the dipstick. I think we may run it lower and see what happens. Worse case, I have a spare 3 speed Fordomatic that we could swap in...after this weekend. Thanks guys.

18. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

the Powerglide on my 59 did that too.

guthriesmith likes this.
  19. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good vibes sent . Cheering Y’all on .

guthriesmith likes this.
  20. Car wash trip before Saturday. :D

95F7F5E9-0FF2-48E7-BB54-48555C7B4429.jpeg D3D15ED7-0465-4733-B2FD-9E259806E698.jpeg 88E2AB70-82E9-4D0E-950A-A80A618623EF.jpeg

21. That last shot is beautiful. I continue to think you absolutely nailed the stance when you lowered the Edsel.

40two, Thor1, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  22. Thanks! I definitely like the way it sits as well. When Silas and his buddies are all in it, it is even lower and drags every now and then on stuff. :eek: But, it isn’t always easy being cool. ;)

23. One more cool shot we took on the way home from the car wash.

A402C9BF-F0DD-418B-9C24-F66542A4A17E.jpeg

24. Seems to me there's some role reversal going on here...... The old man should be driving the family seeedan (and smoking a pipe), and the kid should be driving the 2 door cruiser. Just sayin'.....

Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  25. Yeah, but you know how the younger generation also doesn't have as much issue with four doors as us older guys do. I suppose I have my grandpa car now too in my 50 Buick, but I still prefer two doors. :D

Okie Pete, drdave, ottoman and 6 others like this.
  26. v8flat44

v8flat44

Some 4 doors are VERY COOL at least to me. 51 Merc 4 door is one of my faves....& now certain Edsels are too. Er four.....

Dustin 257 and guthriesmith like this.
  27. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have a great run...

guthriesmith likes this.
  28. It's just really cool that your son is interested in old stuff. Most kids just want any generic thing that will get them to their friend's house for a gaming session!

29. These days, give me a 4-door over anything else. In the past, nobody wanted one so they and station wagons went cheap.

30. Well, pinky did good on the reliability run today. Silas played official photographer for the event. Not all 150 cars were HAMB friendly at all, but depending on what all he got shots of, I may post a thread with pics of the ones that were.