Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Repro 16" Hollywood flipper caps (ribbed style)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt Six, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Curt Six

Curt Six

I am in need of 2 16" ribbed style Hollywood flipper caps. I haven't had any luck finding a set of originals (if ya got some, lemme know!) but I was just reading an article in TRJ about Bob Rosenthal's 36 Ford in an old TRJ and they mentioned that he used repro stainless steel flipper caps. Any idea where to get these?

silent rick likes this.
  2. Curt Six

Curt Six

Back up for the evening crowd...anyone have a source for nice stainless ribbed-style flipper caps?

3. Do you mean for wide 5's or full 16" wheel covers??

4. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

thenightprowlers.com

5. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

I too am looking for a nice set (4) of reproduction 16"/wide 5 pattern Hollywood flippers for my dad's '36 Ford, and I now know I'm not crazy for seeing them reproduced somewhere...I clicked on Night Prowlers and I don't see them on the site anywhere...just the Moon style 15" full caps.

6. Curt Six

Curt Six

I'm looking for a set to use on the 16" wheels on my '41 Buick. The kind Night Prowlers sells aren't the right style...I'm looking for the original style ones with the ribs around the outside, usually run with beauty rings. Below is a picture of an original set of caps along with a picture of a set in use on Jon Fisher's '36.

I didn't know they were reproduced, but I was reading an article about a custom '36 in the Rodder's Journal #34 that said the caps (like these) were repros. Anyone know who is reproducing these or have a source?

Attached Files:

7. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I have a set of 5 for 36 Ford , 2 are fairly nice orig and the rest are kind of rough . $250 for all , I can send a couple pictures Monday .

8. Curt Six

Curt Six

This may be a stupid question, but did all 36 Ford's have wide 5's? Were the 16" flipper caps only made to be used with wide 5's? I'm not familiar with the history of these caps...just like the style and think they'd fit the style custom I'm aiming for. I guess if there's an original or repro cap that will work with my wheels, that'd be ideal...ottherwise I'd need to figure out how I need to modify a wide 5 set to work. Would definitely like to see photos of the set you have for sale.

9. chrisman

chrisman

I don't know the exact details, but someone in the Modesto area made a short repop run of the proper flipper caps you're searching for. This guy made two versions, one for the Ford wide five and one for the '40-'48 Ford wheel. This may have been in the seventies or eighties, not too sure about that though. Through Bob Benn I found a pair of wide 5 caps for a friend with a '36 coupe. Inside the caps were a sticker with a phone number that now went nowhere.

As far as I know, this is the only time they have been repopped. They show up now and then on ebay, like once or twice a year at best, and I'd say they are as rare as the original ones from the '40ies.

10. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

11. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

The ones with the ribs are not being reproduced. I carry the ones without, but only in 14" & 15". I really wish someone would repop the ribbed ones, but, as of now, no one is.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  12. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

these are the ones i have. i got them from a old guy who might still have a few. not sure what year they are for. im switching out the back to fit my 41 chevy rims.

Attached Files:

13. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Here they are , let me know if anybody is interested .

Attached Files:

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

These are Nationals from back in the day. Roughly 10 years ago there was a vendor at Hot August Nights that had repros. I held them in my hands. That's the only place I ever saw them. I have no idea why they seemed to disappear.

There is more than one design. The number and the width of the ribs at the edge are different on some models. Something to check when collecting a set.

[​IMG]

You'd be awfully lucky to find a set that fit your car. I harvested the back of some dented up 40-48 Ford caps and welded them to the caps that I found.

15. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Yo Hagy...don't hold your breath....I doubt he'll call.....he posted that he wanted to sell them 6 years ago!

16. purehotrods

purehotrods
    from Aledo,Il

do you still have the flipper caps for sale?

17. HAGY39

HAGY39

Pure Hot Rods in Aledo, IL is looking at repoping These in S/S 309-582 5155

lodaddyo likes this.
  18. silent rick

silent rick

can we re-visit this thread? anybody repopping either ribbed or plain hollywood flipper caps for a 16" 40-48 ford style wheel?

19. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Did anybody start repopping these, need a pair for wide 5's

20. alchemy

alchemy

A dozen years ago I was contacted by a HAMBer who wanted me to lend him one of mine to measure, as he was going to reproduce them. Not long after that he dropped off the face of the HAMB. Never saw my cap again.

bobbooth likes this.
  21. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Jeesh , that's "not good form"