Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dash Knob Removal '60 Ford???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Badluck 13, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Badluck 13

Badluck 13
    from Akron,Ohio

I have a '60 Ford Country Sedan and I just picked up some custom knobs for the dash and I would like to remove the original ones without damaging then if at all possible. I know the wiper switch has a set screw but the e-brake,the 2 fresh air vent knobs do not and will spin on the shafts but won't un-thread and I tried just pulling them off...Thanks for any info!

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

there is a clip

3. Badluck 13

Badluck 13
    from Akron,Ohio

There is no "clip" on these knobs,I do know the headlight switch is "pressed" on but the remainder of the knobs will "spin" on the shaft ...

Attached Files:

4. jaracer

jaracer

Those knobs are not the removable type. You are probably going to have to destroy them to get them off.

5. flatout51

flatout51

Yup like Jaracer said. They will need to be broken off the shaft.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  6. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I've removed that type knob without damaging them...too much. Heating them in a pan of boiling water softens the plastic enough to keep them from cracking. Heat them up, then clamp the shaft in a vise, then use a crows foot with an extension to drive the knob off with a hammer. They won't crack (usually) and can be used again if need be.
    Good luck!

7. Several in my '55 were that way. I held the shaft in a vise and heated the knobs with a hairdryer. The end of the shaft is knurled so you will have to twist the know as it heats up to break it loose.

8. On my '59 it was brittle and broke easily. The repops are inexpensive.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clamp Vice-Grips on them, they will likely break, leaving the metal shaft behind.

10. Drill a hole in a piece of wood. Place the knob shaft thru the hole and chuck the shaft end int o the drill press. Pull the press down and tighten the shaft into the chuck. Clamp the wood to the press deck. Warm the shaft with a small torch. Pull down on the press handle and out the shaft comes.