Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how do you check vintage Ca license plates to see if they are DMV clear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Sep 21, 2022.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a good 10+ years ago I bought a set of 1956 California license plates that were either NOS or restored, guy said he paid full price and then found they were not clear. must have had a bunch of money because I got them for like $25.00.

I sold a bunch of black background yellow letter plates back then and I would take plates to the DMV to get checked, but these days going to the DMV is a major hassle here in the Bay Area.

is there a number or website? all I saw on the website was the application for use, I just want to sell them.

2. Go online to the personalized plate site,and put in the number. If its clear,and available they will tell you so. If it comes back as taken you know you have wall hangers.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm just going to throw them in the scrap bin.

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Explain

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can't use them in Cali as legit plates I'd throw them on Ebay as display only not for sale to
    California residents and clearly state that they can't be registered in cali. Start them out at what you have to have and let some fool back east or further have them. Every show coverage from the UK shows cars with black and yellow plates. A lot of east coast shows show cars that you know have never been west of the Mississippi with the Cali plates.

8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I called the CA DMV 800 number about a set of YOM plates I had the hold time was pretty long but they had an on line chat type option where I was about to get written verification that the plate number was available AT THE TIME for use as a YOM application. I was planning on selling the plates as available for YOM so the written proof from the DMV was a real plus. On point, there is no such thing as DMV clear. Only that they are not in the system as as such could be used for YOM.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  10. socal34

socal34

You can also take them to AAA auto club or to your local DMV

11. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

AAA can do YOM plates in California?
    That would help my tricky situation out a lot - they seem to be easier to work with...

12. NO AAA DOES NOT DO YOM or Personalized plates.
    I posted the link for the phone number.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

I called on a set just the other day. Had about a 3 minute wait for a call back. Pretty easy

14. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

What's an "IN"?

Edit: Okay, I thought it was an acronym for something, as in an "I.N."

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  15. Brother in law working at DMV.......

abe lugo likes this.
  16. The only true way is to call the Sacramento DMV office number, but call first thing in the morning or you'll be waiting a long time. Start calling just before they open and keep hitting redial.

17. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

If you pay attention, their phone system will offer a call back option...ABC

18. If it's anything like South Carolina there are certian combinations of letters and numbers that can not be used, we have to call the main DMV in Columbia, South Carolina to check the tag you have to see if it's doable. HRP

I have one on the 32 sedan and on the 54 Ranch Wagon. HRP

19. It's been a few years since I had to use it. That's good to know if I need to use it again.

MCjim likes this.
  20. evintho

evintho

I do it all the time. Call this number....1 (800) 777-0133. Sit through the phone tree (2-3 minutes) and they'll offer a call back option. Punch in your number, hang up and go have lunch. They even give an ETA when they'll call back. Usually about an hour. You'll get a live person that can tell you if they're clear, any back fees owed, etc.