Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who runs Shell Rotella

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodjohn71, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Hotrodjohn71

Hotrodjohn71

Hi fellas
    Who uses Rotella 15w-40 in their V8 engine?

2. MoparTobi

MoparTobi
    from Macon, Ga

3. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

me 2
    T4

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  4. deucemac

deucemac

Been running it in my roadster for 14 years

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.

5. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'll run it but not without a ZDDP supplement. This has been well documented here and other places, Rotella is not the high-zinc oil it used to be. Other than that, I've switched over to Valvoline VR1, which is supposedly better for flat-tappet engines.

7. blackbeard40

blackbeard40
    from Maryland

I run 30 weight Rotella in my 46-48 Flathead engine in my 34 with a little Marvel Mystery Oil.

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

One thing that is overlooked by many is that there are several versions of "Rotella" with different specs and additives- have to get the right one for your usage

9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

No reason to, why would you ?

There are PLENTY of hi quality of "automotive" oils on the market !
    Diesel oils have different requirements than do gasoline burning engines !

Today, a non-issue. Diesel oil for diesel engines...and gasoline oils for...gasoline burning engines...period..!

Mike

Jagmech, klawockvet, Montana1 and 5 others like this.
  10. Always use oil.
    Oil is good.
    Change it every now and then.
    Check it from time to time.

Kiwi 4d, wheeldog57, Baumi and 16 others like this.
  11. Donald Pokorny

Donald Pokorny

My Pontiac loves it

Tow Truck Tom and Hotrodjohn71 like this.
  12. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I also use Valvoline oil in my 383 stroker motor & change it every 6 months...........

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  13. I have been using Rotella in all my hot rods for many years. I guess the newer oils are OK to use with flat tappet cams and high rate springs, but I am a creature of habit......

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  14. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I use to run that in my powerstroke diesel

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. I’m south of the Mason Dixon line so I use erol. Rotella erol to be exact. :)

16. Used it in my diesel pickup for years. Valvoline VR-1 in my flat tappet Hamb cars, quality oil in my OT roller cam engines.
    Agree with Mike, diesel oil for diesels, car oil for cars. Different additives.

klawockvet and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  17. I am in the same camp!

Both of my Duramax Diesel Transporting trucks get Rotella T-6 5W-40 full synthetic & basically always have, all of my classics, hot rods, etc get Valvoline VR-1

By the way both Duramax Diesels are over 600,000 miles each on the Original engines & transmissions. They only use about a quart every ten thousand miles (which I think is about perfect)

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    ffr1222k, Just Gary, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  18. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

19. rlsteel

rlsteel

20. Moedog07

Moedog07

I run 15W40 weight Rotella in all my carbureted engines. Always with a little Marvel Mystery Oil. I put that $hit in everything!

Algoma56 likes this.
  21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Those who say " diesel oil for diesels, car oil for cars. Different additives", can you elaborate on that? What are the differences in additives between the 2 types, and why is car oil better for cars than diesel oil?

22. Is it that time already?

23. I’ve used rotella 15-w40 in my old cars for years

I’ve also used onco 10w-30.
    “Performance” 10-w30
    “ Bos” 10-w30

and a multiple of “no name “ oils in my old cars . Pretty much anything I get at work for free I’ll dump in my crankcase .

the amount I drive and I don’t drag race or beat on my cars and frequency of my oil changes I don’t think it really matters . I used to run good name brand oil .

unless it’s a high buck engine or a race or severe duty application it does not matter

@anthony myrick said it best in his post , keep it clean , keep it topped up and your good.

I change my oil and filter in the spring . Then I dump the oil mid summer and do another oil and filter now in the fall . Pretty much every 3 months the car gets new oil .

24. 4 quarts, a bottle of STP for good measure in the 250 in my 36. Been doing it this way for years. Mitch

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  25. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

26. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I recently went to buy some oil at the local AZ., and asking the manager about Brad Penn oil. My new daily driver has about 105K miles on it, and thought I wanted some oil with moly in it. Long story short, his brother-in-law was in there talking with him, who is/was involved in NASCAR. He tells me that no matter what it says on the car, they all run Mobil 1. I tried it, and I have noticed at idle the oil pressure isn't as high as it has been, not bad, just about 5 psi.

27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Which one? There are 13 different Mobil 1 brands, and in each brand there are multiple viscosity grades available. Which one do they use in NASCAR? Which one did you use? Why that one? What did you use before?
    https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...roducts/motor-oils/mobil-1-motor-oil-products

28. RmK57

RmK57

Havent been to get 15w-40 Rotella for at least a couple years here in BC.