Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1938 Ford Glove Box liner questions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OLLIN, Sep 19, 2022.

1. OLLIN

OLLIN

Hey guys,

I have been looking for a glove box liner to run in my model A with '38 ford dash but it looks like they are all out of stock and stopped making them? Anyone know what else fits or can be modified to fit?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. NoelC

NoelC

If that's the case, it sounds like you'll have to go old school and make one.

Tim and X38 like this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The 37 box may be close.

OLLIN likes this.
  4. A 37 box will work, it may need trimmed a little, also look a for a 38 39 convertible glove box. they mount the same but are not as deep to clear the wiper linkage behind them. That's what I used in my 39 to clear the fuse block behind the glove box.

OLLIN likes this.

5. OLLIN

OLLIN

Ok thanks guys, I see the '37 ones are pretty much available, but I didn't know if they were smaller or whatever.
    Also I'm not running the wipers anyway and I haven't mounted the fuse box yet, so I'll probably put it on the driver's side when I do.

6. NoelC

NoelC

I don't want to be the guy who says he has one, but I do. IMG_7049.JPG

Make a cardboard pattern, then make a good one from that pattern. It's old school that way. Or just keep looking I'm sure they are out there in reproduction land.

gnichols and Tim like this.
  7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Glad you asked this question! I need one too for my 38 in a model A myself.

Need to find the glove box door hinge too.

I was looking at either aluminum sheet metal or cardboard home build myself. Thought it'd be easier to cut a new one down to fit but like you haven't seen one for sale.

20211017_112810.jpg

OLLIN likes this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah it’s more or less nice cardboard with a few staples that you receive when you order one most of the time . I’d just jump in with some cereal boxes and make a pattern

OLLIN and flynbrian48 like this.
  9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I had to make a shallow, custom glove box liner for my 37 Fordor (it ended up only about 3" deep) because the new AC / heater / defrost ducting took up most of the space behind that side of the dash. I could have done without the liner box, and fixed the door in place, but I thought it would be good to have a nearly useless one, just for fun. And it would keep nosey passengers from being able to see behind the dash if they opened the door. It ended up being good for folded road maps, pens, a thin pad of note paper, and even a pair of gloves. Not totally useless...

First I fabricated a light-weight ABS-ish back panel about 3/8" thick just slightly smaller than the shape of the glove box door opening. Next I cut a long strip of 3/16" ABS about x 3-1/2" wide to replace the cardboard sides of the stock liner. This strip ends up being a curved "ring" that wraps 360 degrees around the new back panel (with some overlap on the bottom). It was attached to the back panel with a few small screws but staples might also work ok. At this point the liner looks like a low-rimmed dog dish. Then the whole assembly is attached to the flanges around the glove box door with more small screws. Pretty simple and surprisingly sturdy. A few patterns and some adjustments / cuts / massaging needed on that outer ring... but the finished piece fit well. Even if you have to make the ring a second time to improve the fit, it doesn't take much time at all. And the materials were from the scrap bin. Sorry, no pix available. I think I took some, but it would take a year to find where they are stored.

lostone likes this.
  10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Make one. I just made one for the '52 DeSoto dash in my '29 from scraps of FRP I had for the interior panels. If you don't want to spend $30 for a 4x8 panel of FRP, use poster board, staple it together, get some fiberglass resin and mat, and just make one. It'll take more time for the resin to kick than it'll take to make the cardboard form... A76C60D0-9BF9-4D7C-9B1F-6EBC9409719E.jpeg

rdscotty, X38, vtx1800 and 2 others like this.
  11. OLLIN

OLLIN

Is that one for a '38? if so could you maybe post some dimensions. thanks!

12. NoelC

NoelC

It was sold to me that it was, it appeared to match the original I had as well. I bought it from a local shop now defunct, could have been a Bob Drake supplied item?
    Hope this helps you out.

Attached Files:

gnichols and kadillackid like this.
  13. NoelC

NoelC

A couple more pictures.

Attached Files:

gnichols and kadillackid like this.
  14. OLLIN

OLLIN

Awesome thanks!

NoelC likes this.