Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Jim "Jake" Jacobs latest hot rod !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete Eastwood, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Way cool. I would expect nothing less from a legend!

Stogy and guthriesmith like this.
  2. Well Curt spoiled it by posting that page of a magazine article but I was going to ask "Why only pics of the passenger side? Don't tell me it has cowl steering?" :D:D:D:D:D:D ;)

Yeah yeah, I'll close the door on the way out :D

Sorry, sometimes my better judgment holds the door and lets my stupid side through first :p

3. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Definition of the word Hot Rod

Stogy likes this.
  4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nicely done! Thank you, Mr. Eastwood.

A Boner and Stogy like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

call bullshit on that, we have quite a few members that daily drive mechanical brake cars even in dense cities.

6. alanp561, Stogy and Tman like this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

Apparently it's possible to convert early mechanical brakes to floating shoes. Considering the size of the drums, the area of the shoes, and the amount of mechanical force you can put on using steel rods, there's no reason that mechanical brakes can't perform well on a car like this. The car looks very well thought out, I doubt it's an issue.

The Riley head is a neat piece too.

hotrodfil, Packrat, Outback and 10 others like this.
  8. Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    hotrodfil, Packrat, Spooky and 22 others like this.
  9. Another pic of the car at the Outriders Picnic:

Jake Jacobs - Banger Roadster - Outriders Picnic - September 2022 (by CW Moss Ford Parts).jpg
    September 2022 image by CW Moss Ford Parts

hotrodfil, Spooky, 29EHV8 and 18 others like this.
  10. Fogger

Fogger

And next to Jake's beautiful '29 is the '32 Roadster of another well known innovator/master machinist Eric Vaughn. What a great gathering.

29EHV8, Stogy, Irish Mike and 3 others like this.
  11. Love it! Any close up pictures of the finished banger?

Stogy likes this.
  12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Awesome! Looks like it drove straight out of "Hot Rods in the Forties" by Don Montgomery.

13. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

Wow, makes me feel young seeing those names in a post that's not from the seventies.

14. brady1929

brady1929

Beautiful roadster.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Bullshit on the mechanical brakes not working. Had a friend restore a 34 Ford 3 window coupe. With mechanical brakes the car would slide all four tires, and do it staying straight. He drove that car everywhere. He said it stopped better than his juice brake cars.

hotrodfil, 29EHV8, jimmy six and 8 others like this.
  16. Dang...I wish I'd known this before I daily drove mechanical brake cars in the largest city in a 3-4 state area. It's hilly here too...

hotrodfil, Outback, 29EHV8 and 10 others like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess everyone's comfort level with brakes is a personal decision...I run hydraulic, drum all around...I'm good with them and would never consider an upgrade...

Nobody but Jake knows his comfort level in braking that Roadster and how his mechanical brakes perform...I understand his period build...light, bias plys and banger powered...

His decision...I've never driven a mechanically braked A and would in a heartbeat...

I doubt he's going to use it for everyday use...and even if he does he's surrounded by the best in the business...

Lots of vintage A's running similar everywhere...

Thanks for sharing it and yes it certainly harkens back to earlier days before the war...

18. sshep

sshep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great looking roadster, nice job!
    P.S. Mechanical brakes on my roadster too

Spooky and Stogy like this.
  19. Great post Pete!

I have enjoyed following this build.

Its an incredible car - and Jake is super humble about it

Outback, HEMI32 and Stogy like this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy

Engines look different in post #39. What is the power in the finished car?

21. sololobo

sololobo

Awesome classic gow job. This hot rod is so perfect it gives me goose bumps. These two gents are icons of our sport and have shown us a sweet machine. THANX!

Stogy and Just Gary like this.
  22. The hood off pic in post 39 looks like a Chevy II 4 banger.

Outback, Spooky, 29EHV8 and 4 others like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot...fast guy...;)

It is a period build so both would have been in fashion...also running a single tailight...

Its a choice with no right or wrong...I don't even have seatbelts...it's a passion with numerous comfort levels...

Outback, rodncustomdreams and Packrat like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's exactly my argument with YOM plating...the inspiration is a 29 in 1931...guys rarely did that stuff that soon after but it doesn't make sense for a 29 plate on a 29...they weren't Hotrods off the showroom floor...maybe Jake wanted 1938 plates...

Mine should have 63 plates...not 29...asinine law...

Or...he has it titled as a 31...maybe that's what the frame is...

Very few would pic up on that...

48fordnut and WalkerMD like this.
  25. A Boner

A Boner

For sure! Great engines.

YOM plates look ok on a stock vehicle, but don’t make sense on a modified hot rod…should be the year it was made a hot rod.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    Spooky, 48fordnut and Stogy like this.
  26. Curt Six

Curt Six

I noticed that, too. When I wrote that article it was a few years ago (maybe 2018 or 2019 latest) and when I re-read it yesterday I noticed that I'd said "Power currently comes from..." My brain's foggy so I really don't recall the details, but I may have thrown that "currently" in there because there was some question about whether the Riley banger was going to stay. But who knows.

As for mechanical brakes, everyone's point's been made...I'm just appreciating this super bitchin' little hot rod. Although I'd bet Jake and Pete are getting a chuckle over the back-and-forth anyway.

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah it looks like the Riley was swapped for the chevy ii/mercruiser I believe he’s run them in a few hot rods before. They fit fantastic in an A

28. You kinda just made my point. I've got way more than a year and a half and I am sure many more miles on mechanical brake cars and in modern traffic to boot. They will lock up the tires...they don't stop better with the tires skidding regardless of mechanical or hydraulic brakes. Just because 60+ years ago you couldn't figure out how to set up mechanical brakes, doesn't mean they don't work or work well.

hotrodfil, Rickybop, 29EHV8 and 2 others like this.
  29. Special Ed

Special Ed

C'mon man ... This post is precisely why fewer and fewer guys of a certain vintage don't chime in on here anymore. You have no idea of Dean's pedigree. He's forgotten more than you'll ever know about hot rods. At the age of twelve, he won the very first quarter midget national championship in a Kurtis-built car, back in 1957.

30. I know who he is. That doesn't make him right...

Do you think Jake doesn't know what he is doing?

Further more, I seriously doubt that Dean is so thin skinned that anything I have said would chase him off... He's a drag racer for Petesake. I'm sure he's heard worse in the staging lanes... and if I did hurt his feelings I'd be happy to apologize for it.

hotrodfil, Rickybop, 29EHV8 and 7 others like this.