Register now to get rid of these ads!

Converting from mechanical to hydraulic brakes 1935 ford truck

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gasmanm01, Oct 22, 2016.

1. I just picked up a solid running 1935 ford truck from Texas. I want to convert to hydraulic brakes and retain the original wheels and caps. Here is some pics. Any ideas will be [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Contact Richard Lacy at the Early V8 Garage. He is an expert in mechanical to hydraulic conversions.
    http://www.earlyv8garage.net/
    (626) 338-2282
    1217 N. Azusa Canyon Road,
    West Covina, CA 91790-1004

3. If that truck is a '35 (and I am not smart enough to tell) the original wheels and caps were 16 inch wires. I second the suggestion about Richard Lacy.

Charlie Stephens

4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Or maybe Dennis lazy, he is on here. I'll try find his handle.

Nice truck, I love trucks!

EDIT

This is Dennis Lazeys build thread, very good information.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016

5. That looks to be a 36 Cab 35 Hood and Grill. 35 Cab had a crease line where the A post came into the Cowel top, 35 has the redius like yours. I believe 36 Hood badge moved to the front edge of side panel instead of on center and the 36 Grill is wider front to back. Couple years back there was a big thread on all the differences between 35-36 & 37 Trucks and how well things interchanged. It reappears quite often. To use your wheels on Hyd brakes you will need the 39 parts. It's pretty much Nutz-n-Bolts including pedal assembly.
    The Wizzard

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those wheels are the Ford "Wide 5" pattern wheels, not to be confused with any other similar ones.

These were used from 1936-1939. As Pist-n-Broke said, you will need 1937-1939 parts, including spindles, as they are different from 1936 ones. 1936 spindles are a one-year item.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. 55willys

55willys

The front hubs are 36 only as well, you will need 37-39 drums. The offset difference is about 7/8" with the 36 ones further inboard.

8. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another option is to keep the mechanicals and run the Flathead Ted energisers. I did that to mine and I think it stops as good as unboosted hydraulics do. The change to the action of the shoes makes them operate similar to hydraulics, just mechanically activated. I daily drive my 32 and have used them in emergencies (dodging bloody Kangaroos!) and the car pulled up quickly and in line.

Keeps all original wheels drums etc and cheaper than a full hydraulic conversion. Hydraulics need more than just backing plates and running lines. You will need to mount a master and modify pedals as well which can be tricky if it's your first time.

Cooon and LOU WELLS like this.
  9. 2935ford

2935ford

^^^^^^
    What OzyRodder said.
    Well setup mechanical brakes work just fine.....but the key is going through everything to get them "well setup"! :)

10. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Nice truck may have been a late 35/early 36 when they were using up what they had from 35......

As others have said.... 37-41 spindles, 39-41 backing plates, 39 pedals, & 37-39 drums are what will do it and all bolt on.

Also look into Bendix conversion, at least for the front..... Brian BASS does them. I think Speedway may also sell a full loaded set of Bendix backing plates that would make it much simpler. Good luck.... Cool Truck!!!!

11. I knew you guys would come through with the info I need, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

gasmanm01, you have a private message.
    Tom

13. If you wanna sell any of those wide five brakes, lemme know!

14. Came here to say the same…