Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine performance issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by d_rock, Sep 13, 2022.

1. d_rock

d_rock
    from Denver

Hey guys. I'm having a really strange issue I can't seem to figure out.

1965 Ford galaxie
    352 big block rebuilt by previous owner

I believe the engine to be stock, but no way to confirm that.

This is my friend's car, he was having an issue with running rich when cruising. We figured it to be a power valve issue. I was going to go over and help him out a power valve in it, but he decided just to swap the carb out for the one that came off his bronco we put a fuel injection kit on. After swapping the carb, it wouldn't run anymore and was extremely rich at idle. I pulled the carb, took the bowls and metering plates off. Cleaned everything really good. Put a new power valve and new gaskets in and set the carb up back to factory specs. After installing the fuel pressure regulator, I got the car to idle nicely at around 5 psi.

The issue I'm having now is the car will not rev above around 2200 and then it just bogs down and dies. I don't see any fuel coming out of the venturi's at all. Accelerator pump is squirting fuel and working normally.

Here's the second part of the equation. I've tried timing everywhere from the factory 6 all the way up to 30° of initial timing. No change.

When I hook the vacuum advance up the car begins to stumble and run rough. If I operate the vacuum advance manually with a vacuum pump, everything is smooth and runs fine.

I've been on this thing for 2 days and I'm about out of ideas.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Double check the float level.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  3. d_rock

d_rock
    from Denver

Float levels are correct. They just spill over the sight plug hole when the car is rocked

4. NoelC

NoelC

It's either a is or isn't. Suck on the hose and put your tongue over the hose to see if it hold suction, if it don't, I'd say it's faulty.

5. d_rock

d_rock
    from Denver

It has a electronic conversion kit. That might have been my problem. I noticed it was loose and the screw was stripped out. Put a new screw in, tightened it down, now I'm not getting any spark.

Next replace the wire that goes from the points to the - lead on the distributor.

Last, run a piece of #14 stranded from the distributors frame to the alternator bracket.

Sounds like the vacuum advance is leaking. Your engine will run better without it if you do the modifications I suggested and your good with a timing light and understand ignitions.[/QUOTE]

6. d_rock

d_rock
    from Denver

It holds vacuum fine when I use a hand vacuum pump.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  7. jaracer

jaracer

Your problem may be ignition related. The stripped out screw and now not running seem to confirm this. Can you get a spark from the coil when cranking? That's probably the first thing I would check now.

mad mikey likes this.
  8. d_rock

d_rock
    from Denver

Yup. Coil has good spark. Going to go get a set of points and see if that does the trick.

9. Reinstall the old carb and see if it gets better .

Tommy

10. d_rock

d_rock
    from Denver

Update. Car wouldn't start because I forgot to put the rotor back in. Lmao. Car runs again but still have the same issue. I'm going to try another carb and see what that does. Problem is I don't have a known good carb, just a bunch of half torn down ones and some rebuild kits.

11. d_rock

d_rock
    from Denver

Update:. Put another carb together with parts I had laying around the shop. Works now. I'll have to rip into this one and figure out why it wouldn't rev up past half throttle. I've built hundreds of these things, but I'll admit it's been awhile. Pretty much everything indo gets fuel injection these days.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.