Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ratrod

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by birdman1, Aug 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jones St.

Jones St.

Using the worst examples of rats on wheels is a slam dunk. The earlier, rougher stripped down roadsters & severe chops were referred to as 'rat' or ratty. The HD crowd had that term going on since the early '70's easy. Again, personal interpretation plays a role. This subject done to death what, 14 years ago here.

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

These early articles from the mainstream make me laugh. Here's one Autoweek did in 2004 where they called them Rust-Oleum Roots Rods:

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a2092361/rust-oleum-roots-rods-retro-hot-rods-florida/

They quoted me in the article and then got so much of my background wrong. For one, I wasn't even of driving age in the 1980s. I called them afterwards... I was full of piss and vinegar... and that started a dialog. That dialog started a buy out offer which I turned down, but the whole process started a friendship with one of their top guys - Dutch Mandel.

I don't talk to Dutch much anymore. He retired... but he was such a good car guy. Very eclectic -understood what was cool in every little automotive genre you can imagine. People like that are rare... even rarer in the traditional publishing industry.

3. Jones St.

Jones St.

A fitting quote from the late great Pat Ganahl : "Never underestimate the stupidity of your readers". He ran some black primer early iron in those early '90's R&C. Dupont DP 90.

4. This thread answers some questions but makes others more prominent. Rat rods, not allowed, but how about people who fix up old field cars with decades of patina? Arent those by definition "ratty"?

5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

6. The majority of RR are built with nod to shock value, if the rodent rod is chopped it is most always excessive, with a traditional hot rod the less is more is the way to go. HRP

Thor1 and The_Cat_Of_Ages like this.
  7. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is always room, for a bit of comedy, purely in the visual realm.
    IMG_0684 (2).JPG

Thor1 and The_Cat_Of_Ages like this.
  8. Reading the article Gray did use the term but the cars posted in that article look traditional to me. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
    Thor1 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Let’s stir the pot some more on this one.
    This picture they are traditional......
    I believe everyone on here knows the difference.
    I think Gray mentioned the term RR as a editorial comment of RR as a mistaken identity.
    But guys in the 80's-90's wanting to re-live the days of their old man in Hot Rods with there interpretation / description.

Gray knew the difference - he lived the original ERA.

Sancho and Moriarity like this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yeah, there was no good reason to dig up this dead thread...

flatheadpete, X38 and lumpy 63 like this.
  11. Before this thread gets shit down, Gray was a old school hot rodder, his daily driver was not a rodent rod, the term I have always used is a beater, and it was very traditional, Gray drove the wheels off his roadster and didn't spend a lot of time on cosmetics. HRP

[​IMG]

saltracer219 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  12. I've been told my cars are rat rods, but an unfinished car isn't a rat rod. That shit gets old.

saltracer219 likes this.
  13. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Lloyd is this a hot rod or a rat rod? IMG_0924.JPG

flatheadpete and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  14. Hot rod in my opinion. Old school jalopy. The way I see it, a rat is something built from this and that, not an unpainted model A Ford

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  15. Lloyd, I have heard the same thing said about my old 1932 sedan, it seems the average person only picks up on the current jargon, they have no idea of what a hot rod is nor do they care, I have learned to let it go in one ear and out the other, only if they show interest do I try and correct their way of thinking.

I have even heard someone refer to my model A pickup as a dune buggy, HRP

Poh and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  16. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

That’s my car from 1959 when I graduated high school. I still have it and it looks like this now.
    And a picture of a real Beer Run. I did my the louvers my self Frank IMG_0684.jpeg IMG_4190.jpeg IMG_0194.jpeg IMG_1447.jpeg IMG_7291.jpeg IMG_4853.jpeg

Attached Files:

Thor1, impala4speed and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.