Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1964 Ford GT

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Aug 31, 2022.

1. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I'm jealous, what an opportunity. :) I periodically look through the Superformance website just to daydream. I got to sit in a replica once, which is close as I'll ever get to actually driving one. I'd need one with the Gurney bubble, though - my head was hard up against the top.

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I am just under 6’3” and this car had a gurney bubble. Surprisingly, I fit in it fine and would only need the bubble for a helmet. The original seats are pretty much just a piece of foam that starts on the floor and wraps up the firewall for back support. Even then, it was actually pretty comfortable.

it’s geared so high I felt like it would make a great road trip car. Hell, in town you only need 4th and 5th gear if you want to go to jail.

63fdsnr likes this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

Closest I'll ever come, I had this Fiberfab Avenger GT kit car, bought it at an auction for $300 and sold it for $3000 3 days later. That was probably 15+ years ago, for years after people asked me if I "still had that GT40" that they saw on my car trailer at the gas station when I brought it home.

I'm not exactly sure when these were made as far as fitting into the HAMB guidelines but mid 60's seems right and they can still be bought relatively dirt cheap. One of these wouldn't cost millions and would be a fun build with a custom frame and some legit power, as if I have the talent or time to do that.

It certainly looked cool sitting there.

000_0001_0001.JPG
    000_0006_0001.JPG
    000_0005_0001.JPG
    000_0004_0001.JPG

4. hipojoe

hipojoe

Cool car-..... but VW and Mustangs are taboo around these parts. Most of the GT 40 Legacy, everything we LOVE about these cars are also taboo- because most of it occurred after the 1965 cut off. Bummer-:(