Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP:Larry O'Toole Australian Magazine Publisher and Hot Rodder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Sep 9, 2022.

1. hudson48

hudson48

I appear to be the first to advise that Larry passed away yesterday after a 5 month illness.
    Larry was a rodding icon here in Australia with a long history of hot rod building in the early days and then moving into publishing one the the mainstay monthly magazines here.
    He also published Hot Rodding International(14 issues) and was heavily involved with Tex Smith when he lived here.
    I just searched everywhere for my copy of the last issue of Hot Rodding International as it has a great story of Larry's early hot rodding life and the career move into hot rodding journalism. I just realised I lent it to my son.As soon as I get it back I may scan a few pages of his history that even I wasn't aware of until I read it.
    In the age of digital media he was still successful with print magazines.
    Larry visited the USA many times and took Aussie hot rodders on his organised tours of the USA including the Nationals in Louisville many times.
    He was the Australian equivalent of probably Tom McMullen who produced your Street Rodder Magazine.
    Over the past several years Larry has been handing over the reins of the magazine production to his son Al. Hopefully Al can keep the tradition going and fill the big shoes that Larry has left behind. Condolences to the O'Toole family,Mary O'Toole and son Al and other family members.
    https://www.graffitipub.com.au/
    Larry OToole.jpg

Packrat, Rckt98, 41 GMC K-18 and 12 others like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad to hear, I'm thinking that he was a big part in Tex living in Australia for the time he did. A lost to the world wide hot rod community.

41 GMC K-18, USMercUte and Stogy like this.
  3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

4. Glenn S

Glenn S

Very sad news. My condolences to Mary and the family. Larry would be the person most responsible for getting me into hot rodding. Larry took me under his wing on my first trip to the NSRA Nationals in 1992. I returned with him in 1996, 1999, 2005 and 2015 and each time he was the ultimate tour guide and promoter of our hobby. Another legend lost. RIP.
    Glenn S.

Stogy likes this.
  5. Magfiend

Magfiend

Godspeed Larry, you were a great guy...

wandi harry and Stogy like this.
  6. Lil32

Lil32

Thanks Paul
    I heard a few days ago of his passing, maybe he will meet the Queen up there at the Pearly Gates,build her a rod
    Prayers to Family
    I have the latest HR International book but it is stored away in my luggage to take to USA in 2 weeks
    It was great reading about Larry's life

Hamtown Al and Stogy like this.
  7. twenty8

twenty8

Sad to hear. He influenced the Aussie hot rod culture immensely. The word 'forefather' comes to mind.
    Godspeed Larry.

Stogy likes this.
  8. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Saw Larry every year in the media room at the NSRA Nats. Great guy and I'm sure a huge loss to the Aussie hot rod community. My condolences.

Stogy likes this.
  9. reagen

reagen

R I P

Stogy likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the O'toole family and friends in the passing of Larry. He obviously played an important part in the connection of the North American/Australian Hotrod Scene and Culture...

I'm always wowed by the conviction and reverence to Vintage Hotrod down your way...my love of the big picture wouldn't be complete without Australia's contributions...

May he rest in peace...

Regards,
    Stogy

rat bastad and USMercUte like this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sincere sympathy goes out to his immediate Family and car family

Stogy likes this.
  12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RIP Larry. Castlemaine and the rodding fraternity will miss you my friend.

Stogy, rat bastad and Lil32 like this.
  13. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear of the loss, of another great man, that had a lot of influence on the industry and the people that loved old cars and hot rodding.

Stogy likes this.
  14. hudson48

hudson48

Here is a picture of Larry's bucket at the 1973 Australian Nationals. Not sure if that was when it was debuted but I think it might have been earlier. He has built many cars since then including his Model A Tudor that has been on the road for years,his closed cab Model A pickup and 36 Ford Tudor. He was also recently completing a new rendition of the bucket and hopefully that can be finished by family and friends. He is from the Hot Rod Capital of Australia,Castlemaine, so plenty of help there. Larry OToole bucket at 1973 Nats.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    Big Al and Stogy like this.
  15. ems customer service

ems customer service

great guy , we used to advertise in his magazine, his books on Australian cars are great

Stogy likes this.