Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Lightning McQueen and Mater finally go to Bonneville...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

The Cars movies hold a special place in my heart, they are my sons favorite since he was a baby. We've watched all three and the short stories hundreds of times. He's 14 now and we were just watching the trailer for the new short the other day. Look forward to seeing it in full, Thanks!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff. Thanks. Snowman ⛄️

winduptoy likes this.
  3. Nacifan

Nacifan

Carl Heap.jpg Carl Heap Unllimited Diesel truck 272.685 in 2003.png Thrust SSC British Speed of Sound.png Blood Hound SSC.jpg Bonneville Bob Stahl.png #4.JPG I think what I love about the Cars franchise is I know some of the "cars". From Carl Heaps "The Pheoenix" 1943 International 272 mph wonder(here on the hamb, thread in 2010) to the British "Blood Hound and even Bonneville Bob Stahl's 140 mph Air Cooled Nitro burning anomaly....

4. banjorear

banjorear

Haha. My boys still quote Mater's line when he was getting sushi.

Sushi chef: Wasabi?
    Mater: Ah, nuthin' much...

Cooon and SS327 like this.
  5. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

I have 2 boys (16 and 17 yrs old now) and every trip we went on I heard the dialogue on the DVD in the vehicle start to finish. My wife and I can still quote lines from most of those movies. My favorite Mater quote is in my signature. Meaningful to us because we have a Jag front end in our pickup. As far as gigs are concerned - yours is the best @Jive-Bomber !

down-the-road and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. @Jive-Bomber Jay Ward -

I'm kinda curious if this CAR:

Cars On The Road - Salt Fever - Car #115.JPG
    ... was inspired by Fred Larsen's Modified Roadster:

Fred Larsen #115 Modified Roadster.jpg
    ... and if this CAR:

Cars On The Road - Salt Fever -Car #04.JPG
    ... was somewhat inspired by Howard Johansen's Crosley:

Howard Johansen's #527 Crosley @ Bonneville '51.jpg
    ... ??????​

- Todd @HEMI32 Olson

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022

7. Lighten up Frances!

8. Watched it last night. Cool flick! I got a kick out of the shot of the flathead (even though it was burned up)

9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gave up on Santa Claus when I recognized my Daddy dressed up in a Santa suit kissing the next door neighbor's wife under the mistletoe. The subsequent divorce didn't go well for anyone :oops:. Now, you've shot down my faith in Roadrunner :(. I'm starting to think there's no truth in anything I've ever believed but, I'm pretty sure my cat still loves me :).

10. Understand, there are A LOT of longtime LSR racers that DO NOT like misconceptions being perpetuated among the masses. I see where Jimmy and others are coming from. The BIGGEST one is all you have to do is run 200 and you can get into the 200MPH Club. However, I give Jay and the Pixar crew credit for bringing as many real world tie ins into the movies as they have. The homage to Carl Heaps Phoenix is AWESOME. If you ever saw that truck run you would be floored.....................and snowflakes would cry to death. The plume was righteous and lasted for miles only interrupted by the shifts!

11. Man, I hate to burst your ENTIRE bubble, but cats don't love anything or anybody, besides a full food dish and a place to take a crap!!! The sneaky little bastards lull you into thinking they love you, but they don't....they USE you!! Ask me how I know..... I've had a bunch of them over the years and they're all the same..... they train us to be their servants and do everything on their own terms!! Even the stray cat that my wife and I feed has us trained. They are evil!!!
    Gotta go, our cat needs her mid-day treat and I don't want to late and upset her.
    Good luck with your "..my cat loves me" delusion.
    Side note.... The Easter Bunny ain't real either.... those little round brown candies they leave in the yard taste like shit!

12. Love it!

winduptoy likes this.
  13. Okay, I'll admit it ... I was a little disappointed that the real "SPEED DEMON" didn't make a cameo appearance ... with (Tennessean) George Poteet doing the voice acting.

CARS Poteet's #715 Speed Demon 'liner.jpg
    image from the (February 27th 2022) Disney Docket YouTube video​

NOTE: For those that don't have Disney+, this is the "Speed Demon" character that appears in the carsontheroad_logo.png Salt Fever episode:

CARS On The Road - Salt Fever - Speed Demon.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    down-the-road and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. aircap

aircap

But they don't run thrust power on the salt anymore....

HEMI32 likes this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It’s almost like it’s a cartoon for little kids or something.

16. Super cool! Thanks for sharing.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. SS327

SS327

You know now that I think about it a Bonneville/Drag Racing based Cars movie would be great. Lightening wants to get back to the “Roots of Racing” and him and the crew travel all over the country looking for where it all began. On The Bonneville Saltflats, Dry Lakes and Drag Strips of America. Racing only at the “Good Old Tracks” of US30 in Gary Indiana, Bee Line, and Lions and other closed up tracks (but open in the movie). Have Lightening participating in the big “Historical” races or events that the tracks had. Like the big wheel stander show at US30 when everyone lost their minds! That would be so cool! He could meet some of the old guys like, Trick Truck, Paddy Wagon, Hemi Under Glass, Little Red Wagon and others I’m sure I’m forgetting. Have those characters voiced by their drivers Bill Golden Bob Riggle etc. Call me for more ideas I’m full of em!

Just Gary and Tman like this.
  18. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

here is a longer version.

lurker mick, SS327 and down-the-road like this.
  19. Is it just me or is there a bit of homage to World's Fastest Indian , too?:cool:

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I may have to buy my grandson the whole set now. He is just 2 months but I can find them and tuck them away with a batch of real hot rod hotwheels that I have stashed away.

Somewhere in a photo album from one of my trips to Bonneville I have photos of Carl Heaps Phoenix making some passes. That truck looked like a run a way locomotive coming across the salt.

SS327 likes this.
  21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I didn’t actually see any mention of the 200 mph club. And not to be a spoiler but the speed demon isn’t a racer it’s the grim reaper.

so I can see it not looking anything like the race car “speed demon” being fine in that regard